Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 4:55:09 PM EDT
I've been looking for some property in south Alabama and ran across a place in Theodore on the Fowl River just upstream from Bellingrath Gardens. It is on a canal cut and has a boat house, just the sort of thing I've been looking for. My only concern is the flooding potential. The info I have found online show it to only be a slight to moderate risk area (1/2-1%) but I would rather have some local information. If anyone lives or travel through that area has any knowledge of how well that basin drains and any recent history of flooding I would appreciate some input.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Fowl River area is pretty nice on the water.  The surrounding area is hit or miss, depending on which side you're on.  The north and west sides around that area have an assortment of crack dealers and meth heads.  The east side off of DIP is not as bad.  I don't recall many issues with homes on the water though, as the thugs tend to keep to their area.

The river itself is nice.  Very scenic and good fishing for specks, reds and flounder.  The Fowl runs all the way from Mobile Bay on the east side, then south west, where it empties into Heron Bay, near Coden.  I used to live on a small creek off of the river and never experienced any flooding.  If a hurricane comes in however, expect some damage.  After Ivan and Katrina came through, most places in the Mobile area had at least some wind damage, or flooding.  Just part of being on the coast.

If you have any more questions I didn't cover let me know.  I don't live in the area anymore, but still fish down there about once a month.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Fowl River area is pretty nice on the water.  The surrounding area is hit or miss, depending on which side you're on.  The north and west sides around that area have an assortment of crack dealers and meth heads.  The east side off of DIP is not as bad.  I don't recall many issues with homes on the water though, as the thugs tend to keep to their area.

The river itself is nice.  Very scenic and good fishing for specks, reds and flounder.  The Fowl runs all the way from Mobile Bay on the east side, then south west, where it empties into Heron Bay, near Coden.  I used to live on a small creek off of the river and never experienced any flooding.  If a hurricane comes in however, expect some damage.  After Ivan and Katrina came through, most places in the Mobile area had at least some wind damage, or flooding.  Just part of being on the coast.

If you have any more questions I didn't cover let me know.  I don't live in the area anymore, but still fish down there about once a month.
View Quote

Thanks for the intel, I hadn't even considered the drug culture component. Guess that can be found anywhere these days unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the intel, I hadn't even considered the drug culture component. Guess that can be found anywhere these days unfortunately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, it may not be an issue, depending on which side you're looking at.  Just something to be aware of if you will not be there year round.

The homes right on the water generally don't have many issues.  If you get serious about it and want some recent intel on crime in the area, let me know.  I have some friends with Mobile County SO, and can get some recent crime stats in the area.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the Pelican Reef restaurant at the Fowl River Marina has decent seafood.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top