Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2016 8:10:20 PM EDT
I'm moving to AL soon, and I need to figure out what, if any, legal limitations they have on firearms.  For instance, I have an AR pistol; is that legal with no stamps or anything?  Are there any round limits on magazines?  I've never had an SBR, but I would like to get one in the future. Are there any issues with SBRs?  I have a CCW permit in MO; what do I need to do to get one in AL?  Are ther any other legal things to be aware of?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If these are the issues you are used to dealing with, welcome to freedom!

What part of Bama are you moving to?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You are only allowed to have 1 AR-15 type rifle so you have to send the rest to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cane rifles and shotguns aren't legal. Pretty much anything else is with proper registration.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the Code of Alabama.  Most of what you would be interested in is in Title 13A, Chapter 11. http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

P.S. I am tired of reposting this.

CCW can be obtained thru the County Sheriff.  As for SBR's and Silencers, I believe that all you have to do is an ATF notification of permanent relocation.  No Registration of Normal Rifles, Shotguns or Pistols.

If you tell us where you are moving to, then someone can give you a webb site for that County/City.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the Code of Alabama.  Most of what you would be interested in is in Title 13A, Chapter 11. http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

CCW can be obtained thru the County Sheriff.  As for SBR's and Silencers, I believe that all you have to do is an ATF notification of permanent relocation.  No Registration of Normal Rifles, Shotguns or Pistols.

If you tell us where you are moving to, then someone can give you a webb site for that County/City.
View Quote

I'll be moving to Huntsville
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to Ala - I'm just south of Hsv. Its a good place to live.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to Madison County.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

All the new people move to Huntsville.
View Quote
A lot of hiring around the Redstone influence.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Even after the BRAC influx there's been some other changes like the Boeing consolidations coming to Huntsville from several other locations, FBI TEDAC ramp-up, Raytheon missile plant, Remington, Polaris, and a spattering of other things from a lot of different corporate acquisitions over the last several years.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
For the most part, gun laws are okay here. Other than the Vichy Republican Sheriffs and legislators that consistently block pro-gun legislation.

The Democrats never ceded control of Goat Hill, they simply changed party affiliation.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm moving to AL soon, and I need to figure out what, if any, legal limitations they have on firearms.  For instance, I have an AR pistol; is that legal with no stamps or anything?  Are there any round limits on magazines?  I've never had an SBR, but I would like to get one in the future. Are there any issues with SBRs?  I have a CCW permit in MO; what do I need to do to get one in AL?  Are ther any other legal things to be aware of?
View Quote

Most of the NFA stuff is legal to have. All non-title II stuff is legal. You can have a magazine with 1000 rounds if you can make find one.  No permits on pruchase or any crazy stuff like that.. Like someone else said a few AOW's are still illegal here in AL (cane guns and something else that no one would really want). Everything else is GTG. BTW getting your conceal pistol permit is very easy for a pistol (Alabama state law defines a "pistol" as any firearm with a barrel less than 12"  SBR carry anyone ) only a quick background check and you will be gtg. I had mine in about 10 mins when i moved back to Alabama a few years back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most of the NFA stuff is legal to have. All non-title II stuff is legal. You can have a magazine with 1000 rounds if you can make find one.  No permits on pruchase or any crazy stuff like that.. Like someone else said a few AOW's are still illegal here in AL (cane guns and something else that no one would really want). Everything else is GTG. BTW getting your conceal pistol permit is very easy for a pistol (Alabama state law defines a "pistol" as any firearm with a barrel less than 12"  SBR carry anyone ) only a quick background check and you will be gtg. I had mine in about 10 mins when i moved back to Alabama a few years back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the OP is moving to Madison county.  

Sheriff Dorning will take every bit of legal-limit-30 days before he will send the permit out.  The good news is that before SB13 (IRC the name correctly), he used to take all of 6-8 weeks.  By all accounts, he appears to be a decent sheriff except for this.  Dunno why.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Well that sucks. What the point of sitting on the permit?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Looking at making the same move.

Question on shooting on your own land. How much land do you need to be on in order to shoot?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you remember how Bill Clinton tried to stop all federal money going to Alabama because Alabama did not vote for him?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sheriff Dorning will take every bit of legal-limit-30 days before he will send the permit out.  The good news is that before SB13 (IRC the name correctly), he used to take all of 6-8 weeks.  By all accounts, he appears to be a decent sheriff except for this.  Dunno why.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I don't get Dorning.  The county next door is Limestone.  Sheriff Blakely is a democrat.  You can walk into his office, fill out the paperwork and walk out with your permit.  Go figure?  

$15/year, up to 5 years at a time.  It makes living just outside of Madison County attractive (and there are portions of the city of Madison that are in Limestone).

Having the carry permit will streamline your 4473 as well.

Welcome to the area.  When will you arrive?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He closed Ft. McClellan because Shelby switched to the republican party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you remember how Bill Clinton tried to stop all federal money going to Alabama because Alabama did not vote for him?

He closed Ft. McClellan because Shelby switched to the republican party.

I just found out the other day that's why it was closed.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want that Vengeful Woman in the the most powerful office in the world.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Question on shooting on your own land. How much land do you need to be on in order to shoot?
View Quote

Generally you need to be outside of city limits.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you also need to be on more than 5 acres of land and outside any city limits that limit discharging of firearms for non self defense uses.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think you also need to be on more than 5 acres of land and outside any city limits that limit discharging of firearms for non self defense uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you provide that statute?  I've heard something similar, but can't find it in writing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top