Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Love it, for $75 I don't think it can be beat. If I was made of money, I would get the elevation adjustable model. I have an adapter on the way to mount it to the rail, the one savage supplies with the gun isn't long enough for the bipod to hook on to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
As it stands now, I will be shooting the match Saturday. I'm planning on shooting my precision AR just for grins and giggles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not going to be able to make it. In laws 50th wedding anniversary, just sprung on me yesterday...... I still can't shoot, go back to the surgeon  on Monday. I am getting stir crazy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How did the match go? I would have rather been there
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did the match go? I would have rather been there
View Quote

The match itself went well with easily more than 25+ shooters. Most were first time for the longer ranges, but rifles ranged from dedicated, high-end F-Class rigs to one guy rocking it like it was 1959 using an iron-sight M1A (and not doing too bad considering).

I had a mediocre day..which I expected. I decided to shoot my Tikka again but I had changed the stock and while I had time to zero it, I didn't have enough time to figure-out how to shoot it well and it showed @ 300.

I tried something different on the first 600 stage and that sucked even worse. I dreaded the second 600 stage but I confirmed my zero with only 3-rounds and while I was laying beside the rifle waiting on everyone else, I had one of those light-bulb moments of revelation. I reconfigured my bipod and bags just-in-time for the match to start.

On the first two stages I had fired a mid-180s score, including throwing a couple of 8s. After my setup reconfig, I shot a 193  for the final stage. A little more work on making sure my bags fit better and refining my position and I expect I'll be back where I want to be.

I'll be going back to the CMP Range before the next scheduled F-class match there to do some load development and keep working-on my setup and position. I'll let you know when I'm thinking about going and maybe we can connect then.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I wished I had been there. Sorry to hear about the struggles, my own learning curve is pretty steep and rugged sometimes. I have prepped a couple of hundred Lapua, LC, and General Dynamics cases. I have figured out my starting charges with three different powders and have cases primed with both Rem 7 1/2 and Wolf SRM primers. Just need to get my Co-Ax set up with the redding dies and load em up. Hopefully within a week or 2 I will be able to shoot again, at least from the bench.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew it was going to be a learning experience, but it definitely was a little more than I wanted that day. I was expecting minor adjustments to my position, to move the bags around a little, etc...and that is where I finally ended-up. The trip to that point was long and frustrating though. Lessons learned though and all of them will be applied next time.

I'm working-up a couple of load series with 8208 XBR, one for the 80 SMK and one for 77gr TMK, both for the Tikka then I'll figure-out something on the precision AR for the TMK.  

Whenever you are thinking about heading ot the range. let me know if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I knew it was going to be a learning experience, but it definitely was a little more than I wanted that day. I was expecting minor adjustments to my position, to move the bags around a little, etc...and that is where I finally ended-up. The trip to that point was long and frustrating though. Lessons learned though and all of them will be applied next time.

I'm working-up a couple of load series with 8208 XBR, one for the 80 SMK and one for 77gr TMK, both for the Tikka then I'll figure-out something on the precision AR for the TMK.  

Whenever you are thinking about heading ot the range. let me know if you don't mind.
View Quote

Went to the range in the national forest  today and went through the shoot and clean thing. First 8 5 shot groups averaging about 0.75" @ 100 with loads put together for the ARs and set to mag length. 77 gr Nosler CC with 23.1 gr TAC and Rem Fed 205M primers and 69 gr CC with 23.5 gr X-Terminator with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Rickety wood benches, no where near level, shooting off the bipod for the first time, all things considered, I am satisfied. My bipod skills need some serious work, but I like the Sinclair F-Class bipod real well. For 75 bucks, its great.

Over the next week to 10 days, I have lots of free time. I am going to have to go back to the doc, my soluble stiches are not dissolving and causing problems. I shot today with a pillow beneath my elbow.

The Savage, very interesting. Barrel was surprisingly smooth and is smoother after break in today. Very little copper in the bore. Shot 1 and cleaned with JB bore paste. Shot 5 and cleaned with solvents and foaming bore cleaner, repeated 9 times. just soaked the bore with foaming bore cleaner and got very little color. I am hoping it will run 0.4 MOA with tuned loads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can get it to the .4s that is a competitive load in my mind. Yeah. smaller is better, but anything below .5 is x-ring size and will do well.

I guess I am more competitive about it than I was expecting. I'm still miffed at myself for not figuring-out my new stock earlier and paying such a price in the first 600 yd stage...not that the 300 yd stage was spectacular. I've been working on my position and getting everything set so I'll be ready for the 16th.

You think you'll be ready by then, even if off the bench?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can get it to the .4s that is a competitive load in my mind. Yeah. smaller is better, but anything below .5 is x-ring size and will do well.

I guess I am more competitive about it than I was expecting. I'm still miffed at myself for not figuring-out my new stock earlier and paying such a price in the first 600 yd stage...not that the 300 yd stage was spectacular. I've been working on my position and getting everything set so I'll be ready for the 16th.

You think you'll be ready by then, even if off the bench?
View Quote

Off the bench, I can probably do it. I was shooting off the bench with a pillow under my elbow yesterday in the shoot and clean cycle.  My wife dug 6 "soluble" stiches out of my arm that had worked their way to the surface. My body failing to dissolve these things has increased the healing time significantly. I will be there in July and shoot, even if it is with Factory MK262., even if I am shooting the AR. I am expecting to stink it up initially. For the record, my wife is awesome, but will not let me out in the heat of the garage to reload till I am better healed.

The 0.6 to 0.8 MOA groups yesterday were with old reloads made of Nosler 77 gr CC seconds that varied significantly in weight and base to ogive length. I didn't sort them or give them any particular consideration, and they still shot OK. Some were 69 Nosler CCs with 2230, those were ~0.75" shooters in most guns they have been tried in (2 WOA ARs and a CZ 527 Varmint).

The groups showed some Horizontal stringing that I would attribute to the need for relieving the barrel channel on that left side. Bedded, barrel channel opened up, adjusting tension on action bolt and customized reloads. 0.4" should be doable. Then again, I may be wrong. Its all part of the big adventure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like I will be able to make the F-Class Match on the 16th.

You going to be able to make it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
yep, its going to be bad. but I will be there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
For those following along: A good response form the CMP Park:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top