Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 12:21:41 PM EDT
There is a fairly good chance I'll be relocated by the company from the ATL area to the Birmingham area.  My dad is currently in Trussville, and I went to high school at Hoover right as they opened up the district.  I'll most likely end up in the Pelham/Alabaster region (at least on that side of town), but not ruling out Trussville too.  Schools are my primary focus.  I will have kids in 2, 8, and 10th grades.  What school districts should I avoid?  My office is in Hoover.  Housing will most likely end up in the 175-200k market.  If I move, it will be over the summer when school is out.  What areas should I focus on and/or avoid?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
In the systems you names, you'll be fine. I like north of B'ham because of traffic. You're from Atlanta, so you are use to crappy traffic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 25 miles from our ATL office, and it is anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours.  I drove from Trussville to Hoover (Riverchase), 22.5 miles, 30 minutes.  The traffic here is one of the biggest motivations to move.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Alabaster and I like it here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in moody. Love it. Would recommend. On phone sorry to be short
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you think of Mountain Brook or Oak Mountain?

I'd avoid Briarwood Christian as traffic down 280 would be abysmal during rush hour, the only reason.

Homewood, Spain Park would be good choices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you think of Mountain Brook or Oak Mountain?

I'd avoid Briarwood Christian as traffic down 280 would be abysmal during rush hour, the only reason.

Homewood, Spain Park would be good choices.
View Quote

Mountain Brook is great.. would highly recommend that, Vestavia or parts of Homewood.

Oak Mtn. is superb too (Indian Springs especially) but you have to time your trips on I65 to avoid the inevitable traffic jam.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is your job going to be.?
North of Bham I would say Gardendale north to the county line. I 65 to Bham is not to bad in the am. East I would say moody to springville. Traffic on 20 can suck.
South, alabaster is good. 280 sucks.
Homewood is very nice but $$$ ,
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Office is in Hoover/Riverchase.  Homewood, Vestavia, and Mt.Brook are above my paygrade.  Trting to stay out of JeffCo if possible.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Then Shelby county it is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
My daughters went to Oak Mountain. Good Schools, minimal issues.  When my oldest graduated in 2008, 90% of the students went on to secondary schools, and 5% went into the military.  That's pretty good odds.

Oak Mountain, Helena, Spain Park, Mountain Brook and Vestavia should all be good.  Homewood and Hoover City are OK to a lesser extent. But I'm not sure what the home selection would be in the price range you're looking at.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I live in Alabaster and I like it here.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My daughters went to Oak Mountain. Good Schools, minimal issues.  When my oldest graduated in 2008, 90% of the students went on to secondary schools, and 5% went into the military.  That's pretty good odds.

Oak Mountain, Helena, Spain Park, Mountain Brook and Vestavia should all be good.  Homewood and Hoover City are OK to a lesser extent. But I'm not sure what the home selection would be in the price range you're looking at.
View Quote
^Good advice here!  

Vestavia houses off Rocky Ridge Rd and Columbiana Rd are priced around $200k, and great for families.  

I lived in Jeffco for a while.  Very low property taxes, but you pay in other ways.  Homeowners insurance was ~$1500/year (only a volunteer fire dept), plus $300/year for garbage service, plus travel time...  

Schools are rated here.  

http://www.greatschools.org/

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^Good advice here!  
Vestavia houses off Rocky Ridge Rd and Columbiana Rd are priced around $200k, and great for families.  

I lived in Jeffco for a while.  Very low property taxes, but you pay in other ways.  Homeowners insurance was ~$1500/year (only a volunteer fire dept), plus $300/year for garbage service, plus travel time...  

Schools are rated here.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^Good advice here!  

Schools are rated here.  

Jefferson county is run by Liberals that are Idiots.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
^^^

He speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
St. Clarie county has much to offer. Very affordable housing, easy commute ... less of the Jefferson county trash and high taxes.

My son just built a new construction home in Odenville. For the price range you mentioned you can have a very nice home.

I live in a small pocket of Irondale. Nice area but it comes with the Jefferson county headaches...

When you negotiate your relocation...just remember your taxes will be higher. 10% sales tax does make a difference..
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^Good advice here!  

Schools are rated here.  

He's from Atlanta, he will be ok.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
St. Clarie county has much to offer. Very affordable housing, easy commute ... less of the Jefferson county trash and high taxes.

My son just built a new construction home in Odenville. For the price range you mentioned you can have a very nice home.

I live in a small pocket of Irondale. Nice area but it comes with the Jefferson county headaches...

When you negotiate your relocation...just remember your taxes will be higher. 10% sales tax does make a difference..
View Quote

I'd like to +1 this comment about Moody/Odenville.  It has a lot of the amenities of living in town but it's far enough out that you don't have to deal with all of the nonsense.

For example, I went to pay property tax and get a tag for a car the other day.  I was in and out in 20 minutes.  The staff is polite, professional and they work hard.

The only drawback was a 20 min drive to Pell City BUT, I still came out far ahead because I would have waited 3x as long as I would have in Birmingham.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd like to +1 this comment about Moody/Odenville.  It has a lot of the amenities of living in town but it's far enough out that you don't have to deal with all of the nonsense.

For example, I went to pay property tax and get a tag for a car the other day.  I was in and out in 20 minutes.  The staff is polite, professional and they work hard.

The only drawback was a 20 min drive to Pell City BUT, I still came out far ahead because I would have waited 3x as long as I would have in Birmingham.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are the Odenville/St. Clair schools like?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Do know that anywhere South of Homewood you need to add three times the off peak drive time to the peak "rush hours" drive times. The traffic is very heavy in general.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not too concerned with rush hour.  There have been many, many, many times where my commute was an average of 13mph...for 25 miles.  I like the Moody/Odenville area, and have been through there a few times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Look around Chelsea as well.  It's a nice area that is growing fast and has a good school system from what I understand.  Half an hour drive to Hoover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

From all that I've heard they are good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I've heard they have a good rep but I need to look into hem a bit.  I am in the Hueytown area now due to aging parent care.  They passed awhile back and we now have a kid on the way so I'm looking into school options myself and for my income level St. Clair is looking pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not compared to Hoover, Vestavia, Pelham, Alabaster, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#27]
North Shelby County/Oak Mountain schools. Its great out here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like Thompson and Middle are both highly rated in Alabaster.  I keep hearing about Oak Mountain, but I'm unable to do a MLS search for Oak Mountain.  Is it more of an area as opposed to a town?  What is the name of the school district?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Oak Mountain is part of the Shelby County school district.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah, that's certainly true.  

Odenville/Moody schools aren't BAD, per se.  They are just fine, but they aren't Blue Ribbon/President's Circle schools like Mtn. Brook or Vestavia.

I don't think that a kid will come out poorly for having attended St. Clair County schools especially if the parents are involved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like Thompson and Middle are both highly rated in Alabaster.  I keep hearing about Oak Mountain, but I'm unable to do a MLS search for Oak Mountain.  Is it more of an area as opposed to a town?  What is the name of the school district?
View Quote

Look up Indian Springs.. not the private school, the city.

I lived in Indian Springs during college.  It's a great place to live but you're looking at 300k - 2.8 million dollar homes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

you can search on RealtySouth by schools. just search oak mountain. youll get some inverness elementary. Theres actually a house 2 doors down from mine that needs some work that is well within your budget if you want a link.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll get a lot more house for your money down here in Alabaster.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I'm seeing.  Pelham, Alabaster, and Calera seem to be the best bang for the buck.  I've ruled out JeffCo.  It is a lot like Fulton County here - the nicer parts of town carry the tax burden for the whole city.  No thanks.

I should know within the next 4-6 weeks if I'm getting moved.  I'll be over there in a couple of weeks, and bringing the wife with me.  I'm going to give her my car for the day while I'm in the office.  She has a few friends from Auburn in the area, so I'm hoping they can show her around some.

What is the traffic like up 31 and/or 65 north from Calera to Hoover?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is what I'm seeing.  Pelham, Alabaster, and Calera seem to be the best bang for the buck.  I've ruled out JeffCo.  It is a lot like Fulton County here - the nicer parts of town carry the tax burden for the whole city.  No thanks.

I should know within the next 4-6 weeks if I'm getting moved.  I'll be over there in a couple of weeks, and bringing the wife with me.  I'm going to give her my car for the day while I'm in the office.  She has a few friends from Auburn in the area, so I'm hoping they can show her around some.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I hit it before 7AM, I can get from Alabaster to Fairfield (work) in about 30 minutes. After 7:15 or so it can take 45 min to an hour.  Hoover would be about the same for you from Calera. 65 backs up before the first Alabaster exit in the mornings, but I get on after that.

Im down in Alabaster if you have any questions, but I have no idea on school things.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
[
If I hit it before 7AM, I can get from Alabaster to Fairfield (work) in about 30 minutes. After 7:15 or so it can take 45 min to an hour.  Hoover would be about the same for you from Calera. 65 backs up before the first Alabaster exit in the mornings, but I get on after that.

Im down in Alabaster if you have any questions, but I have no idea on school things.
View Quote

Thanks.  We'll be over on the 19th.  Hopefully we will know more by then.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It would seen Birmingham is tied with Orlando at the third most dangerous City in the US.  
http://www.usnews.com/news/slideshows/the-11-most-dangerous-us-cities/9
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It would seen Birmingham is tied with Orlando at the third most dangerous City in the US.  
View Quote

thats why you are dumb to live in the city. the outlying areas are really safe. i work at night in downtown Birmingham and i never feel unsafe. i would not venture to the neighborhoods on the west or east sides after dark though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Office is in Hoover/Riverchase.  Homewood, Vestavia, and Mt.Brook are above my paygrade.  Trting to stay out of JeffCo if possible.
View Quote

You can check out Chelsea but traffic on 280 after 7am is a nightmare. ALDOT "fixed" it but then all the municipalities retimed all the lights back to the traffic jam in the mornings and evening. However Chelsea is a great place to live. Its kind of out in the country but close to the city. I love it but I work out of the house nowadays so my 280 drives during peak hours are very limited.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah the city is bad. Everytime I am in bham I am packing . look outside the city and the crime rates are very low. Most people live outside the city
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

thats why you are dumb to live in the city. the outlying areas are really safe. i work at night in downtown Birmingham and i never feel unsafe. i would not venture to the neighborhoods on the west or east sides after dark though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Downtown is good. AS long as you stay out of west end and Eastlake
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my grandmother lived in Huffman before she went to the nursing home and I would open carry when I went to cut her grass everytime.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Tons of people will complain about Shelby county because of 280 traffic but it's nothing compared to Atlanta traffic. I moved to AL from Augusta four years ago and settled on Chelsea. Specifically for the schools. I've got kids in elementary, middle, and high school and they all transitioned nicely. There will also be plenty of nice houses in your price range as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

65 into bham can be just as bad 280 many times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tons of people will complain about Shelby county because of 280 traffic but it's nothing compared to Atlanta traffic. I moved to AL from Augusta four years ago and settled on Chelsea. Specifically for the schools. I've got kids in elementary, middle, and high school and they all transitioned nicely. There will also be plenty of nice houses in your price range as well.

65 into bham can be just as bad 280 many times.

Truth here. My commute from Forestdale to Hoover takes on average 30-45 minutes on a good day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucks.  But there is another round of interstate construction supposed to start soon.  Calera does put you close to Double Tapp though so decent training range close by.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks all for the feedback.  The company is willing to give me the concessions I need to move, so it is off the table - for the immediate future anyway.  Thanks again for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top