Posted: 1/3/2016 8:08:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it open?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That should be PT Arms. Good guys. They were moving up here from Florida. They do competition guns, some really cool Glock work and I don't know what else. Ward and Jay are good people though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of gun shops.. did the Gun Cellar ever come back for a 3rd go.. or are they gone forever?

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Last I heard they moved to Moody, which would describe the owners attitude the last time I visited their shop when it was in Hoover.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of gun shops.. did the Gun Cellar ever come back for a 3rd go.. or are they gone forever?

Last I heard they moved to Moody, which would describe the owners attitude the last time I visited their shop when it was in Hoover.

Yeah they closed up shop there too.  I heard rumors that they had moved to Leeds but I can't find any evidence of that.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If they're in Leeds they don't have a visible storefront.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks man.  It sounds like they are gone for good.  RIP Gun Cellar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The store in Moody has been closed. Good riddance. I used to stop by and look around and got nothing but blank stares and mumbles from the staff.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The store in Moody has been closed. Good riddance. I used to stop by and look around and got nothing but blank stares and mumbles from the staff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They definitely went downhill from their Hoover days.  The twins that worked there are good people but I think the magic was gone at that point.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I hijacked the thread.  Back on topic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm by there a bit, may have to check it out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool! This will put me just about even distance between them and hoover Tac.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Spoke with Jay this morning. The security system was going in today and some of the display cabinets. According to him it should be ready to open in about three weeks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I need to stop in and check again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I stopped in at Precision Tactical about an hour ago...

They are still in the ramp-up phase so the shelves are a little bare BUT, what IS there is exactly what one would expect from a premium shop. They are still waiting for their FFL to land so no firearms for sale yet.

I had a chance to talk to the local proprietor and I liked what I heard for the most part. They are ramping-up toward a full-service shop, with machining services, cerakote refinishing, and outright production abilities on-site (they will be licensed as an 07 Manufacturer as well as a FFL/SOT so NFA firearms and devices will be carried in-shop) .

Their location was convenient, just off Hwy 150 on S. Shades Crest, just across the street from the YMCA and it looks like they are going for a good shopping experience with shop layout, selection, and services. They also landed right in the geographical sweet-spot as far as their apparent product focus and plans and the demographics of their surroundings. If that wasn't by design, they were very fortunate...but I'm leaning toward 'by design'.  

I was told that they are OPEN for biz with the usual 'every day but Sunday' schedule with new products and accessories arriving daily. The firearms themselves have to wait on the FFL (and they advised that is on an 'any day now' schedule) but what was shared with me sounded like a good plan.

I appreciated that their in-store  'pitch' was more 'plans & goals' rather than 'used car salesman' that is so common. Corporate-wise, I was told they are an expansion of their current operations in Crestview, FL and the FL location will remain.

I'll definitely be stopping by regularly, and expect to be throwing a not-insignificant amount of money at them over time.

MikeN  

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a place I need to visit
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Another fun shop I will have to check out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I've noticed their progress. Looking forward to checking them out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Sweet. I need to go over there sometime.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I stopped-in again today to check things out and ask a couple of lingering questions I had....

Still no FFL, still no guns, still on an "anytime now" schedule.

One employee was holding-down the fort. For the life of me I can't remember his name but as personable as everyone else has been and he keeps saying the right things.

My questions were:

Last time I was in there was a lot of discussion about the machine-work capabilities they will be bring with them when in full operation, to include barrel work. I shoot almost 100% suppressed and am looking for a source of small gas port AR barrels for both myself and those I build for. Based on the previous discussion, I thought this shop MIGHT be that source. Apparently not though as they sell AR-barrels from other makers - FN, Odin, and JP are in-stock - but don't machine them in-house (bolt-guns only).

The other was for NFA engraving. They will be offering NFA engraving via CNC, not laser. I didn't really get into the location options with CNC engraving, but surely all the common places but in the trigger-guard are possible, and maybe even there. The price quoted was a little higher than usual but it was explained that since it is CNC milling the setup is more time-consuming and it will burn mill time on their one machine. All-in-all, being in the area and not having to do two-way shipping and insurance, maybe the cost will be a wash for the most part.

I was advised that they were prepping for several large shipments arriving soon and the store layout looked like it.

They seem to be hustling to be ready as soon as practical for all the right business reasons - which, to me , is part of 'doing it right'.

I'm looking forward to them being in full operation.

MikeN  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What was the price for engraving?

View Quote

I was quoted $75

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was quoted $75

MikeN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was quoted $75

MikeN

Not too bad but I'd have to see their work and turnover time before I would get them do it. I'm very picky about look and placement.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But will they be able to cut and thread barrels (concentric, can-safe) on site?  Or did that come up?

View Quote

They claim they will be able to cut & thread barrels on-site. I didn't ask a price.

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not too bad but I'd have to see their work and turnover time before I would get them do it. I'm very picky about look and placement.

View Quote

I'm with you on that...

What work I have seen looked good...but it was done in their FL shop and it was more 'fun' stuff than serious (handgun slide lightening, some custom AR lower machining, etc...). I understand their FL-based CNC guy will be splitting time between shops until they find a local they are comfortable with so personal skill may come into play.  

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Not bad when even the cheapest place is around $60 plus shipping to them and the wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was quoted $75

MikeN

Not bad when even the cheapest place is around $60 plus shipping to them and the wait.
You guys need to come to Huntsville. I get mine done for $35 while I wait.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then someone needs to get their name out there where people that need the service will know who to contact, now don't they?

Well...that, and I'd rather eat roadkill than go to Huntsville.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:23:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was quoted $75

MikeN

I send mine off to identmarking but they have increased their prices lately. Its now 55 bucks plus shipping there and back for an AR but they do grade A quality work. I have had them engrave the trusts name inside the magwell flange on last few SBRs. I have yet to find anyone local that can do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Been out at Steel City all this week doing dept quals.

Myself and a couple other instructors and a couple of hose-draggers stopped by the Chinese place right down from PT to eat lunch.

I noticed a fellow sitting in a corner booth by himself who was wearing typical 'gun guy clothes'. He took little notice of us (or so I thought).

We were not in uniforms, just typical range clothes, but I'm sure by our (typical) pd/fd asshattery in conversation, that he assumed we were public sector employees, as it were.

Turns out he secretly paid for our lunch when he left!

I had a sneaking suspicion that he might be affiliated with the store, since we were just a few doors down. We walked over there when we finished up, to check it out.

Sure enough, it was (who I took to be) the proprietor who had taken care of us. We shopped around and got some T-shirts and small stuff, and shot the bull for a while.

Super nice guys, and they have some outstanding looking custom work in there. I was also impressed with the quality of stuff they carry.

BCM parts, tons of magpul stuff, glock triggers, Wilson 1911 parts, geissele triggers in stock, good selection of barrels, optics, sights...

I will be back within no time to spend some more money there. They had samples of glock slide machining, and their Ceracoat work, both of which looked top notch.

They also have a decent selection of name brand gear (HSGI) in stock.

They said FFL is still pending.

Prices on gun parts are right in line with online pricing. You might pay just a couple dollars more with tax vs shipping, but close enough (IMHO) to justify supporting a local store.

(Disclaimer: not affiliated, just trying to pay his good deed foward)

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smitty, It was good seeing you again on our coincidentally timed visit to the shop.

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Smitty, It was good seeing you again on our coincidentally timed visit to the shop.

MikeN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MikeN

Likewise, Sir!

-Tim
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I may have to run out there today.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like I'm finally going to make it by there today.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#39]
anyone have their actual address? im not really familiar with the area
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

anyone have their actual address? im not really familiar with the area

View Quote

3435 S. Shades Crest Rd., Hoover, AL should put you within sight of it.

At Hwy 150 & Shades Crest there is a Shell Stop-n-Rob in the southeast quadrant and a YMCA set-back from the road in the southwest quad. Turn onto the road between the Shell and the "Y".

There are two smaller multi-shop buildings immediately behind the Shell on the left. Precision Tactical is the 2nd. Their sign is on the fascia above the store-front and there have been vertical banners near the road the last couple of times I've been there. If you cross-over the interstate once you've made the turn, you've overshot.

If you don't mind., please name drop that you found them with the help of some goober posting about them on AR15.com. If we build a little goodwill that might can be leveraged for some benefits for all from here that might stop by. (e.g., small discount, group buys, etc...)

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#41]
So that's near Brock's Gap?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So that's near Brock's Gap?

View Quote

Yep...just after you turn onto Shades Crest from 150 headed to Brock's Gap.

A smart location.

MikeN
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll get by there this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Stopped by Precision Tactical in Hoover today and wanted to update anyone keeping an eye on this thread.

Their FFL has been released from jail and they are now officially a "Gun Shop".

They have a basic stock of handguns...a good supply of M&Ps, some XDs, a few SIGS, a few Glocks, and slew of .22 handguns and rifles (a lot of Ruger .22s). There were no prices visible, so I don't know whether they are competitive or not with some of the volume sellers, but I don't expect them to be outrageous considering some of the pricing I see at the other sellers in their area (Marks, Hoover Tac, and the big-box stores - Dicks, Field & Stream, Bass Pro, etc...) and their prices on common accessories & parts (comparable with online prices, especially after shipping is added)

They have a good selection of parts and pieces, clearly focused on AR-15s, with a decent selection of Wilson 1911 stuff, Glock triggers, and a few APEX kits in-stock.

While I looked around, numerous shooter-types were there and many were looking at and commenting the coating work they do. In particular, they seem to have the art of the "distressed" look figured-out. While it isn't my 'thing', I'd have to agree that their 'distressed' coating work does look good and appears it is well-applied (I THINK it's CeraCoat).

There will be a pomp-&-circumstance Grand Opening in March with a plan to have the store stocked with what will be expected to kept on hand going forward, including a slew of their custom/commissioned work to demo what they can do. Based on what I've seen, I expect to see a LOT of their work to start showing up on the range, in the field. and in more than a few LE holsters soon.

I consider myself a performance-oriented, 'serious use' shooter: I don't care about what someone says, what they do, what their stuff looks like, if it is the latest and greatest, etc...and I do not want to hear a used-car-salesman pitch. I just want to know does their stuff work: Is it safe?, Is it reliable?, Is it accurate?, It is consistent?. To me, everything else is secondary to those questions. Also, don't tell me a rack-grade RemingDPMasterMGStandard or that the discount rlle that you put together in your garage is the equal in every way to the rifles with people's names on the receiver: Daniel, Noveske, Lewis, LaRue, Wilson, et al...

Right now, it LOOKS like they are intending to do it right in that department by having the quality parts one would expect to see for high-performance, serious-use firearms. It also SOUNDS like they intend to be honest brokers when it comes to the work people commission from them.

Time will tell however...but right now is a damned great time to be a shooter in Birmingham, AL! Take these folks, Hoover Tac (not a big fan, but gotta admit they have a decent range and are catering to the deep-pocket pretty people crowd pretty effectively), Simmons, GraBow, the CMP Marksmanship Park in 'Dega - to everyone else in the world, We have it, you don't - and a couple of Tier 1 ammunition suppliers close by (Summit in Gadsden for blaster ammo, Creedmore in Anniston & selling at the CMP Park - be sure to try the Creedmore 75 gr, .223 and 5.56 ammo, My God! that stuff is good!)

They are also clearly catering to the bells & baubles crowd with their assembly and finishing services. I don't see that as bad because those folks tend to pay the bills and keep the doors open everyday so I can stop by and pickup what I need.    

I hope they succeed...

I'll post-again as the Grand Opening festivities get closer JIC anyone else is interested. It might be a good time for a local forum meet-n-greet.

MikeN

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a good place to check out. Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I believe the grand opening will be March 25-26.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I believe the grand opening will be March 25-26.

View Quote

Yep, stopped by this afternoon...Grand Opening this weekend.

Looks like there will be a good supply of firearms on-hand, a lot of the FL crew seems to be up as well.

Hopefully a good time will be had by all...

MikeN
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top