Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
Going to be staying in Birmingham the coming week and tempted to bring my bike with me.

Any really good road bike routes/paved trails in the south Birmingham area? I'm going to be staying off 280 south of 495 so anything really close to that would be great.

Thanks much -
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going to be staying in Birmingham the coming week and tempted to bring my bike with me.

Any really good road bike routes/paved trails in the south Birmingham area? I'm going to be staying off 280 south of 495 so anything really close to that would be great.

Thanks much -
View Quote

Oak Mountain state park would be a good choice since it is south of town.
There is also Red Mountain Park, The Vulcan Trail, and Railroad Park within a short drive of 280.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is also Red Mountain Park, The Vulcan Trail, and Railroad Park within a short drive of 280.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks much -

+1 for Oak Mtn state park. $4 fee to get in the park (not sure if they charge extra for out of state but I don't think they check).
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a while, but I remember that down highway 149 around Samford and Homewood high school there's a path.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's been a while, but I remember that down highway 149 around Samford and Homewood high school there's a path.
View Quote

Otherwise known as Lakeshore Drive. Depending on how serious a rider you are, it might be way too tame. Same for Railroad Park. Though, RR park turns into Zombie Survival late at night.

Oak Mountain is the best bet for serious riding. Or call up Homewood Cycles, Cahaba Cycles or Bob's Bikes to see if there are any group rides. I see riders all the time around here but think they are freakin insane to ride on the same roads as the local drivers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Go 280 to highway 119S. About 4 miles down on the left is the rear entrance to Oak Mountain.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks much -
View Quote

+1 on Oak Mtn.  South parking lot to back gate, front gate and back to lot is @23 miles. with Hills. If you want more, south trail head to Pivine Falls parking lot. less than 5 miles. If you are on FB, look up Birmingham Ride Finder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top