Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 12:52:28 PM EDT
I have an Oklahoma permit and I know there is reciprocity but I am moving and changing my residency to Alabama so I figure I need to work on getting an Alabama permit.

Will I have to take a CCW class again? Fingerprints etc?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
In the county I live in you give them your information and pay $20/yr up to 5 years.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Step 1 - Establish residency and get an Alabama drivers license

Step 2 - Read Alabama concealed permit laws.  Links in this forum.

Step 3 - Go to sheriff's office and give them your license.

Step 4 - Give them $100.

Step 5 - Receive 5 year concealed weapons permit.

Step 6 - Go home (or to the car if you follow the law about carrying a weapon in the car without a permit) and put weapon on.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The cost of a Permit varies from county to county in Alabama. When I renewed mine earlier this year in Jefferson County (Birmingham), it was only $37.50 for five years ($7.50 per year).
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Step 1 - Establish residency and get an Alabama drivers license
Step 2 - Read Alabama concealed permit laws.  Links in this forum.
Step 3 - Go to sheriff's office and give them your license.
Step 4 - Give them $100.
Step 5 - Receive 5 year concealed weapons permit.

Step 6 - Go home (or to the car if you follow the law about carrying a weapon in the car without a permit) and put weapon on.

View Quote

Except for Madison county.  MC will take every bit of the mandated 30 day maximum to send you your permit.  Assholes.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an Oklahoma permit and I know there is reciprocity but I am moving and changing my residency to Alabama so I figure I need to work on getting an Alabama permit.

View Quote

Once you change your residency to AL, your OK permit will no longer be valid in AL.  If you applied for but haven't yet received your AL permit, I would imagine that it would "work" if you were asked for your permit by an AL LEO.  if it's been several months (doesn't appear applicable here since you're asking about the AL permit), then I would imagine that there would be no LEO mercy.  Just guessing though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I doubt the vast majority of LEO's in AL would hook a guy up if he has a valid out of state permit. Just don't stretch it out.

Get your AL DL then go to the sheriffs office and apply for a permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you change your residency to AL, your OK permit will no longer be valid in AL.  If you applied for but haven't yet received your AL permit, I would imagine that it would "work" if you were asked for your permit by an AL LEO.  if it's been several months (doesn't appear applicable here since you're asking about the AL permit), then I would imagine that there would be no LEO mercy.  Just guessing though.

Good luck.

I doubt the vast majority of LEO's in AL would hook a guy up if he has a valid out of state permit. Just don't stretch it out.

Yea, that's what I thought.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I really don't think you could get someone in AL convicted of carrying without permit if they have some form of valid CCW permit from another state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't think you could get someone in AL convicted of carrying without permit if they have some form of valid CCW permit from another state.

They convicted Jon Tulley (name?) not once but twice on a bullshit charge (one conviction, but then upheld).

But yea, if the OP is in the process but not yet received his AL permit, another state permit would *probably* work.  Would still be in violation of 13A-11-85, which was my original point.

To whit (emphasis added):

Section 13A-11-85
Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General is authorized to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall periodically publish a list of states which recognize licenses issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75.
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1; Act 2013-283, p. 938, §2.)

From here:  http://www.ago.state.al.us/Page-Alabama-Weapon-Law

One good thing about TN gun laws is that they take into account this time lag between residency and you receiving your permit.  In TN, you out of state permit is good for 6 months; after that you need the TN permit.

Back to the OP:  status of getting your permit?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a little different from county to county so you might want to ask someone from the county that you are moving to.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They convicted Jon Tulley (name?) not once but twice on a bullshit charge (one conviction, but then upheld).

But yea, if the OP is in the process but not yet received his AL permit, another state permit would *probably* work.  Would still be in violation of 13A-11-85, which was my original point.

Section 13A-11-85

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General is authorized to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall periodically publish a list of states which recognize licenses issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75.

One good thing about TN gun laws is that they take into account this time lag between residency and you receiving your permit.  In TN, you out of state permit is good for 6 months; after that you need the TN permit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-85

The court ruled 5-3 in favor of the state’s open carry law… even on private property, declaring an Alabama city’s prosecution of a man that carried a gun into a bank unconstitutional.

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2015/09/08/alabama-supreme-court-says-right-to-open-carry-cannot-be-stopped/
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-85

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-85

I'm not a resident yet.  I will be moving on Black Friday.  

I am moving to Mobile.  My wife secured rent house in a nicer area yesterday.  My house in OK is on the market.  Even if it does sell I won't walk away with much so it'll take me a while to save for a down payment.

Most peope from AL on here rag on Mobile but I liked it alot when I was there.  I know some areas are not so nice.  I haven't lived in city limits for the last decade so it will be a big change.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am moving to Mobile.  My wife secured rent house in a nicer area yesterday.  My house in OK is on the market.  Even if it does sell I won't walk away with much so it'll take me a while to save for a down payment.

Most peope from AL on here rag on Mobile but I liked it alot when I was there.  I know some areas are not so nice.  I haven't lived in city limits for the last decade so it will be a big change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-85

Make sure that you are not in a flood plane.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the whole southern part a flood plane?

I'm loving the Cullman Alabama area.  I moved here over a year ago and could not be happier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top