Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2015 7:50:47 PM EDT
Start new assignment Monday. What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy/live outside the city limits of Birmingham.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This to the 25th power!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically this.  I'd suggest something out around Leeds/Moody.

Don't live down 280.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Rush hour traffic is terrible. That was a contributing factor to me getting different employment and moving back down to the Montgomery area after trying the B'ham metro area for 4 years. JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Throw a few more details at us.  Kids?  Wife?  Part of town job is in, etc?  The cool thing about the Birmingham region is that you have a lot of options for everything from residential location to entertainment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Office is downtown. Just wife and I. Looked at apts in Inverness this wkend.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I work downtown as well.  I think you will like it.  Good options for lunch and after work dinner/drinks.  Downtown ballpark as well if you like baseball.  I usually get a jog in after work making a route through the various parks in downtown which makes for some nice scenery and helps me avoid some of the 5:00-5:30 interstate traffic.  There is also an indoor range about five minutes from downtown.  Several co-workers have moved into the lofts around here and they really enjoy it.  I wouldn't do the loft thing with kids though due to the school system in Birmingham and me and the misses are talking kids now.

A lot of people enjoy living off the I-65 south/280 corridors and while there are nice new neighborhoods, good retail and good schools along those routes, the traffic makes me want to punch a monkey.  Also, know that ALDOT has begun a bridge replacement project in downtown that is scheduled to last a couple of years.  The work isn't too intrusive now but it can make commuting into downtown a bitch in a year or so.  Once you get a place to stay, figure out the possible alternative routes.

If your an outdoors kind of guy we have some great options there.  Red Mountain Park, Oak Mountain and Ruffner Mountain give you hiking option within 20 minutes of downtown.  Lots of nearby fishing options.  

Some great gun shops around and several range options.  I use the outdoor FOP range in Pleasant Grove just because it on my side of town but a lot of guys go to Hoover Tactical which has a great indoor range.

If there is anything specific you need to know just throw it our way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't live down 280.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't live down 280.

65 South of town is getting really bad too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
280 traffic isn't so bad if your hours can flex around peak times. If you can't be out of the house (located in Inverness) by 6:45 AM or after 9:00 AM, or leave the office by 4:15 PM or after 6:00 PM, bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I live South of town in Alabaster and don't mind the drive. If you can work flexible, like was said,  you do better. It's usually a 30 minute drive for me into downtown and well worth it to live in Shelby County. I wouldn't even consider living in Jefferson County, so either South where I live , North in Blount county or East into St Clair......

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Downtown B'ham is not as bad as some make it. Lots of things to do, food, entertainment etc. But houses and apts in the better sections are expensive. Like BS, I live north oh B'ham in the Gardendale/ Mount Olive Area.  I like it a lot. 15 min from work and downtown. Take a look.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you looking for apartments, rentals, or a house to buy?  What price range are you looking at?  There are a ton of really nice areas around the greater Birmingham-Metro area.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No way would I live out 280 way. You will be hours a day sitting in traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man lies not.

Also, Jefferson Co has some of the highest Water, Insurance, etc rates in the state, and Both Birmingham and Jefferson Co have occupational income taxes, as I understand.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't live down 280.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't live down 280.

Yeah 280 is nightmare after 6:30 in the morning. Leave early the lights are all timed to your advantage, but the evening is bad but not as bad as Denver traffic (yuk, used to live there). Bham traffic is nothing compared to that nightmare. Just dont live in bham. Lots of nice neighborhoods off 280 despite the traffic
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This man lies not.

Also, Jefferson Co has some of the highest Water, Insurance, etc rates in the state, and Both Birmingham and Jefferson Co have occupational income taxes, as I understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man lies not.

The water rates really aren't the issue but rather the sewer rates.  Jefferson County's rate suuuuuck. The fact that they get collected as part of the water bill leads to some misconceptions on the water cost.  Also, Birmingham, Bessemer and a few other municipalities have an occupation tax but Jefferson County does not.  I did in the past but got struck down in court.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be careful. Although the inverness area in general is really nice many of the apartments have started taking section 8 tenants.

Above all, Stay away from the Abbey behind Home depot.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Be careful. Although the inverness area in general is really nice many of the apartments have started taking section 8 tenants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't blame them.  Obama is forcing this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in B'ham this week as well... any must see or must do or must taste recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn I wish you had posted this earlier we could have grabbed dinner.

Southern Museum of Flight

Dreamland Saw's

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in B'ham this week as well... any must see or must do or must taste recommendations?

Dreamland Saw's

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dreamland
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dreamland

I'm here for a week...

I passed by the Southern Museum of Flight, may have to check that out dependent on my work schedule...

Is it possible to drive to Anniston and just shop at the CMP South store?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm here for a week...

I passed by the Southern Museum of Flight, may have to check that out dependent on my work schedule...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dreamland

I'm here for a week...

Sure, just head down I-20E. The CMP range is closed this week though, but the store should be open.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If you like good beer, go to Avondale Brewery and have a beer, then hit Saw's next door and get the pork and greens. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you like good beer, go to Avondale Brewery and have a beer, then hit Saw's next door and get the pork and greens. Good stuff.
View Quote

Heaven on earth.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure, just head down I-20E. The CMP range is closed this week though, but the store should be open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dreamland

I'm here for a week...

cool, I'm going there tomorrow then
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're into finer dining, there are some world class restaurants downtown: Highlands, Bottega, Hot and Hot Fish Club, etc.

Lots of decent casual places in the lakeview area of Bham: Saws, post office pies, slice, etc as well as a few breweries.

Outside of Birmingham proper it is mostly chain restaurants. I heard Shula's steakhouse is good.  

Dreamland is known for their ribs, but the original owner is long gone.  The one in Tuscaloosa has the atmosphere.

Let us know what part of town you are in and we may could give more specific recommendations.    

If you like Motorcycles or Formula one racing go to Barber Motorsports museum. They have one of the largest motorcycle collections in the world. This is about the only really impressive place in Birmingham.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I am near the airport, but have wheels and am mobile and can get to any part of town
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#33]
If you like traditional Chinese, hit Black Pearl in the Collonade Shopping center
Just off of I-459 on 280.

The owner Michelle is a friend, they have the best "traditional" menu in town.

If you like Thai, hit (in my order of preference)
Taste of Thailand- Lorna Rd near Galleria
Surin 280 -280 just Southeast of the Black Pearl
Surin West- Downtown

Pizza- Brixx pizza, Patton Creek shopping center across from Galleria Mall, they have 24+ tap beers, numerous bottles.

Japanese- Family run place called Shonos on US-31 south of Galleria Mall next to Dales home cooking

Sushi- Osushi near Target Shopping center off I-459 Exit 10- another little family place, they have 1/2 price Hot Saki and all Specialty rolls $7.95 on Tuesdays

Bright Star Café in Bessemer, if you like a good quality meat and three with fancy sit down service, a little pricey for dinner, but lunch is very reasonable.

There are tons of other options, but the rest we frequent are chains you can find anywhere.

If you want some of the best apple fritters you've had, hit Donut Joes in Pelham off 52 up, early, they sell out quickly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#34]
For meat and three you can't go wrong with Nikki's or Lloyds.
Nikki's is off of Finley Blvd on the north side of B'ham, Lloyds is on 280.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Second Saw's, I'll also add Rusty's to the BBQ mix. I wouldn't go to Dreamland, I don't think it's good Q.

Good People Brewing or you could go to Hop City or World of Beer to have beers from each of the local breweries.

You could also go to J. Clyde for a beer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#36]
If you are into science, hit up the McWane Center. It's really geared towards kids but I had as much fun as my little ones when we took them a few days back.  

The Bright Star is over-priced and 'meh' at best. They have phenomenal steaks but their sides are something you would expect from Golden Corale.

Davenport's Pizza Palace in Mt. Brook is a good place for thin crust pizza. Jack Brown's Beer & Burger Joint in the Lakeview area is one of the best burgers in town. If you're willing to make the drive, J & J Grocery has one of the best also; recently voted one of the best in the state. It's in McCalla so it's a bit of a drive arms they close early so you'll need to plan that out accordingly.

Surprisingly enough, Birmingham is actually a hotbed for good places to eat. Someone mentioned the Southside area early; tons of choices there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worked at UAB (Southside of tracks) for ten years. One of my favorite lunch spots was the Irish Deli on Greensprings, but I think they closed.

Another that is still in business is The Fish Market by the Kirklin Clinic at UAB.  Owner is also a very conservative fellow of Greek extraction. I like his Amberjack steaks.

Stay away from the Mickey D's near Children's Hospital, had to show a crackhead my revolver in the drive-thru there one time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just outside of the clutches of Jeff Co.  Thanks us later.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look east, too, outside of Jeff Co.  I drove from Pell City to UAB everyday for several years.  The main clog on that route is the  20/59 parking lot most mornings, but that is avoidable if you jump off 20 at Irondale and skirt up the back way up Montclair/Red Mt/Highland into Southtown.  That was my route everyday and my arrival was a fairly predictable thing. Pell City/Moody/Leeds has the Barber Motor park, Bass Pro, Logan Martin Lake, CMP Marksmanship park and a bunch of chain restaurants.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Worked at UAB (Southside of tracks) for ten years. One of my favorite lunch spots was the Irish Deli on Greensprings, but I think they closed.

Another that is still in business is The Fish Market by the Kirklin Clinic at UAB.  Owner is also a very conservative fellow of Greek extraction. I like his Amberjack steaks.

Stay away from the Mickey D's near Children's Hospital, had to show a crackhead my revolver in the drive-thru there one time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fish market has another location on US-31 off I-459 at the Galleria, as well, owned by same guy.

Best seafood for the money I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to work at UAB in a lab under the Dental School.  One day we went to the old Burger King near University Hospital (it has since moved).  As we were standing in line waiting to place our order one of my co-workers pointed at the grill.

To our horror a cockroach was sitting up on the edge of the flat grill surface, perched like something out the movie "Joe's Apartment".  The little bugger decided for some reason to run across the hot grill, it got about halfway across it before it burst into flame and start smoking.

The guy working the grill just swept it off into the garbage hole and continued cooking like nothing had happened.

Needless to say we didn't eat at Burger King that day.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you are into science, hit up the McWane Center. It's really geared towards kids but I had as much fun as my little ones when we took them a few days back.  

The Bright Star is over-priced and 'meh' at best. They have phenomenal steaks but their sides are something you would expect from Golden Corale.

Davenport's Pizza Palace in Mt. Brook is a good place for thin crust pizza. Jack Brown's Beer & Burger Joint in the Lakeview area is one of the best burgers in town. If you're willing to make the drive, J & J Grocery has one of the best also; recently voted one of the best in the state. It's in McCalla so it's a bit of a drive arms they close early so you'll need to plan that out accordingly.

Surprisingly enough, Birmingham is actually a hotbed for good places to eat. Someone mentioned the Southside area early; tons of choices there.
View Quote

+1 on Davenport's and Jack Browns.

Birmingham really is a mecca for new food experiences.  We're in the middle of a big change.  I'm very glad to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top