Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2015 8:55:01 AM EDT
My Dad had a heart attack on the 14th and didn't make it.  My mom passed away 15 yrs ago and I'm an only child. AFAIK he didn't have a will.  I can't do anything until the death certificates come in but my first stop is his bank where he has about $9K in his checking account, a safe deposit box and hopefully some legal documents.
He had 4.5 acres of land , an old mobile home that needs to be burned and or destroyed, and two cars. I have the deeds for the land and the titles for the two cars.
He had no debt, no credit cards and the cars and mobile home was paid for.

My question is what the heck am I going to have to do to get the land, mobile home,& cars in my name since there is no will and will I need a lawyer to do this?
What am I looking at as far as taxes go when I inherit all this?

Any legal help or advise would be greatly appreciated since I've never had to do this before and I have no clue what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hire an attorney. Get appointed executor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The Probate office in your county can help you with what you need to do.  In Limestone county they were more than helpful when my Father passed way three years ago.

It wouldn't hurt to contact a lawyer either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the attorney

and I am sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for your loss.

I also recommend an attorney.  The costs should be fairly affordable and they will take a lot of worry and anxiety off your shoulders.  Been through this twice with both parents and our attorney has been a godsend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to go through the probate process. This is a period of time where if anyone has financial claims against your father they have to be settled. It involves public notice and a brief time window.

Sound like your dad's estate is not large enough to pay Estate taxes, so there should not be a tax bill.  However, if IIRC if you sell things down the road  there can be a capital gains tax, which is based on the difference in value from the time you inherited it until the time you sold it.  

This looks like a brief overview:
http://www.estateplanninglawfirms.com/resources/estate-planning/probate/alabama-executors-representatives.htm

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
What county did your dad live in? If you don't already have an attorney, I can refer one to you. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.  I happen to have a friend that's a lawyer and they do a lot of probate work. I have an appointment with him today to get the ball rolling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top