Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2015 2:03:41 PM EDT
I do and I thought I was all set as far as uninsured motorists' coverage here.  My neighbor (AD USAF) who's vehicle is registered out of state was just in a bad wreck with an uninsured driver (no job, no insurance, no license, the car wasnt even his)  (BTW this is what happens when your military bases are in such shitty areas of town)

He had uninsured motorists coverage and is all set.  But I kind of got paranoid and decided to check my coverage with USAA and all I have on my policy listed for uninsured motorists is bodily injury, no property damage.  I called in and they said its not available for AL.

WTF I asked them to escalate this ASAP for verification, Im simply going to have to drop them as far as auto coverage goes if they cant do this.

Anyone else aware of this, or is it truly an error?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
hah i guess no one does; apparently everyone except me knows that USAA cant do UM property damage coverage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested also. I'll be calling them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
For some reason I thought UM was for medical, I need to cal my agent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some reason I thought UM was for medical, I need to cal my agent.
View Quote

I thought so too.  Let us know if you hear otherwise, please.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have USAA and my wife was rear-ended by an un-insured illegal immigrant back in 2005 and they said they would cover it...the damage turned out to be less than what I thought so I never pursued a claim but they never told me otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have USAA and my wife was rear-ended by an un-insured illegal immigrant back in 2005 and they said they would cover it...the damage turned out to be less than what I thought so I never pursued a claim but they never told me otherwise.
View Quote

was the vehicle insured in AL back then in 2005?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, purchased new in 2003 from an Alabama dealer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage only coverages bodily injury/medical in Alabama. It does not cover property damage. It's not an error, that's just the way the law is in our fine state. Source: lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not worried about it because I have a nice $1M umbrella policy to cover my car and house.  I'd see about that as well if I was you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top