Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 1:48:11 PM EDT
At the AL HTF meetup at Oak Mountain, we discussed the possibility of having the next meet up at the new CMP range in Talladega. This will allow us to shoot long range rifles, pistols, and shotguns in a few different ways. The CMP already hosts a monthly USPSA pistol match on the third Saturday of each month, and usually lasts from 9:30-1.

Just spitballing here, the range could be a location for our next meet up. We will need to decide if we want something centered around shooting or something similar to the Oak Mountain meetup that was food and hanging out, or we could do both as this is Alabama and we like to eat and shoot stuff.

I have a line on meeting the CEO of the CMP range. The girlfriend's dad is high up with Talladega PD and eats lunch with him weekly. I just need a rough idea we can refine as we get closer to having the next meetup if we want to pursue the CMP range as the host site.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Great idea!

I'm putting in a vote for food & shooting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
We can try to grow this for the next few years and end up going to be a southeastern regional deal.

How plausible would it be to have a few competitions during the meetup. Since they host a pistol match already, we could include that, a shotgun skeet match, and a long range rifle match for those that want to. You could compete in all of them, a combination, or none.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Count me in for a cook out and shootin' stuff!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
tag.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a great idea to have shooting matches.  We might be able to interest some of our local firearms businesses into sponsoring (prizes etc)?

I like the idea of it growing to a Southeast regional meetup.  We could invite TN, GA, MS, FL.

We would likely need to start smallish the first year and work our way up.  Also, we need to perfect a way of collecting entrance fees and registration.  If we're going to host a SE meetup we will want to set it up underneath a non-profit for its protections.  Just a few thoughts.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's a great idea to have shooting matches.  We might be able to interest some of our local firearms businesses into sponsoring (prizes etc)?

I like the idea of it growing to a Southeast regional meetup.  We could invite TN, GA, MS, FL.

We would likely need to start smallish the first year and work our way up.  Also, we need to perfect a way of collecting entrance fees and registration.  If we're going to host a SE meetup we will want to set it up underneath a non-profit for its protections.  Just a few thoughts.

View Quote

With the regards to the shooting matches, we could have some kind of sponsorship for a prize table if the businesses deemed that donating to the prize table would be worthwhile to them. If there's going to be 15 people shooting in the competitions it wouldn't be worthwhile. Eventually we could build it up in size.

If it does grow, just some thoughts on future competitions, we could have state teams and do some bragging rights or get some plaques made. Have a dozen or so people on a team and they could have three or four members for each competition with points being given for place finishes.

In the meantime we could get some businesses to sponsor through food? There are plenty of pro gun businesses that would like recognition and we could have banners made with the Arfcom logo, the state flag, date, a "we'd like to thank our sponsors for their contributions to help make this happen" etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tacked to keep it up top.
View Quote

Thank you much, good sir.

I wonder if we have this at the CMP they'd allow that machine gun guy to bring stuff out for us to rent to put some lead down range like he does at Hoover Tac...
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With the regards to the shooting matches, we could have some kind of sponsorship for a prize table if the businesses deemed that donating to the prize table would be worthwhile to them. If there's going to be 15 people shooting in the competitions it wouldn't be worthwhile. Eventually we could build it up in size.

If it does grow, just some thoughts on future competitions, we could have state teams and do some bragging rights or get some plaques made. Have a dozen or so people on a team and they could have three or four members for each competition with points being given for place finishes.

In the meantime we could get some businesses to sponsor through food? There are plenty of pro gun businesses that would like recognition and we could have banners made with the Arfcom logo, the state flag, date, a "we'd like to thank our sponsors for their contributions to help make this happen" etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds great to me!!

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose the first question is do we want to have this meetup at the CMP range or somewhere else where we can shoot and have food?

Are we just going to shoot or are we going to have shooting competitions? I see that this could have potential if we make it enjoyable but I also know that not everyone shoots competitions.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I just read this information about some changes they're going to make at the CMP:

This is for their USPSA matches. If they're willing to do this and they've not even had their second match yet, imagine what they'd do if we were able to give them the exposure from something like a regional competition with industry partners sending reps and a prize table.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
With football season coming up, I'm going to get really busy and won't be able to work very much on planning this.  I will need some movers and shakers to help move this along from where we're at with some ideas being tossed around to getting things set up to present to the CEO at the CMP, if that is what we plan on.  I think we could just as easily go to Lighthorse or any of the other ranges/training sites to host this.  I was just wanting something sort of central in the state instead of in the NE corner or near the beach so that it'd be an easy trip for all those wishing to come out.

This is getting a ton of views but not many replies.  If you have any thoughts or suggestions please, by all means, feel free to post them up.  I know not everybody wants to shoot competitions, I know since we're here we all like to shoot.  And in that same vein, since we're in Alabama, we like to eat.  I just know that the CMP range has the capability to hold something like the competitions and grilling we've discussed so far.  With the competitions, they'd be spaced throughout the day so that if somebody wants to shoot more than one they'd be able to and have some time between to rest a bit, water down or grab a bite.

For the date range, I'm thinking something in late March would be ideal as far as the weather goes, or maybe April.

For food, we could either get it catered or bring a few grills and grill up some burgers and hot dogs, some grilled corn is always nice.  Cheap way would be grilling it ourselves, cheaper still would be getting a sponsor to donate.

I believe Red Dane posted about filing for non-profit status, I have no experience with this.  If somebody does have experience with the paperwork, could you check if we'd be able to apply for it?  That would probably help with getting donations from state and local businesses if it would be tax deductible for the businesses.

I know it is a lot to plan, but I can see this eventually growing if we can get the ball rolling and have an inaugural event that members just start chomping at the bit to go to and have an awesome time at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
What if we went had this as an Alabama-Georgia meetup/showdown? The CMP isn't too terribly far from Georgia?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so I am about to be covered up, as I posted earlier.

Do we want to just have a meat, greet, and shoot somewhere just as an ALHTF event and then gradually expand to competitions and opening up other states?

Poll will be added shortly with the option for multiple choices to be picked.

If it is decided to have the Alabama-Georgia Shootout/Showdown/Whatever I can start a thread over in the GAHTF.

ETA: No way to add a poll to the OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Forum Christmas party?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forum Christmas party?

View Quote

I'm still shooting for something in the spring. I'm thinking about going ahead and having the Alabama-Georgia showdown at the CMP or any suitable area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, we may have just lost the CMP.  Broke up with the gf, her dad eats lunch with the CMP CEO on a weekly basis.

We can still aim for the CMP range, resolved issues with the gf.

If we do go with the CMP, I'm for the Alabama - Georgia shooting competitions.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't been active on here recently, but this is interesting...
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Forum Christmas party?

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]
How would everybody feel about a GA-AL HTF having the following:

Lunch or Dinner
      - I assume we can have a grill and have the standard fare, burgers, hotdogs, chips, maybe put some corn on the cob on the grill
      - We would need drinks, ice, cups, plates, napkins, silverware, condiments, entrée, buns, and the sides

MOA All Day Challenge
      - CMP has a 600 yard range with electronic scoring at various yards.  I believe you will have to shoot five 5-shot groups

USPSA -OR- IDPA match
      - CMP has already put on several matches of each type, these are pistol matches.  Usual round count is around 100-125 rounds.

Trap/Skeet match
      - Best of 10? Best of 20?  I don't know, I just remember it was an option on the Mario/Duck Hunt cartridge on the original Nintendo

I would like to suggest that we pick a charity that helps vets and their families so that there is a way that there is some sort of burden taken off of them.  Open to suggestions, I'm not sure as to what all organizations are out there that deal with this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Shell,

So you're suggesting to donate the money to the CMP range? I don't quite follow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I would try and make it  
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
So the official start to Spring is on March 20th.  We are edging into February very quickly.

I wanted to get the ball rolling for a mid-Spring/early Summer 2016 HTF meetup.

Last year we did Oak Mtn.  This year the idea has been floated for a range day with lunch (or dinner depending on what you guys want to do).

I know it's a little early but it gives us some time to figure out the details.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Doing something at the CMP range sounded cool.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the CMP idea
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I just left the range, that place is sweet. I would imagine that they'd love to have us.

The desk worker said that they've had almost 1500 guests this week, and it's rained a few days and it's been a little chilly.

Guys, I really want to make this happen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just left the range, that place is sweet. I would imagine that they'd love to have us.

The desk worker said that they've had almost 1500 guests this week, and it's rained a few days and it's been a little chilly.

Guys, I really want to make this happen.
View Quote

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm down for this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
We just need to set a date, itinerary, and figure food. It's not everybody's cup of tea to compete. But we all like to shoot, there should be something we can do there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I just realized that there is a hometown section on AR15 and stumbled upon this. I saw HeyCoach's thread in the precision rifle section and got me interested in this CMP range down there. I'm up in the HSV area but would be interested in driving down to see what it's all about, and this sounds like a fun time to possibly do that. Plus I could try my hand at stretching out my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor to 600 (only shot 6" gongs at 500 so far).
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#34]
So this is being planned for over 6 months?  Somebody take some action dayum.  What date and time?  

Bryant
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been to the CMP range numerous times since it opened.  I think I posted one of the first posts about it here.

I've read through some posts and have a few insights on some of the questions.

Food: When I first checked the place out, I told the girls up front they need to add a concession or food court. One said they had no plans for that, but they were considering bringing in trailered concessions for special events.  If they've done this since, I could not tell you.  I think they might allow catering to come in.  Food and drinks are not allowed at the shooting ranges, but the clubhouse has a nice exterior court that could accommodate a decent crowd. Nice view, BTW.

Full Auto: A friend of mine owns a FA Tommy gun.  A while back, he called CMP to ask if FA was allowed there.  They told him no.  I also was talking to a local gun shop guy. As he was showing me a .50 Barrett he personally owned, I asked if he'd tried it at CMP's long range.  They do not allow .50's either. I'm guessing FA's in a novice's hands might allow projectiles to escape the park and a .50 might blow through a berm? Don't know.

A side note on weapons not allowed....I was popping dueling trees at #4 pistol range one day when a guy shows up with an AR pistol. The fellow asked the RO if he could shoot there.  Young RO had to call a more senior guy.  AR pistol in rifle cartridge chamberings are not even allowed anywhere in the park (according to what that senior guy said on the radio).  An AR pistol in 9mm would be kosher at the assigned pistol ranges. AR chambered in rifle is cool at rifle ranges. Guess they don't want to chance that rifle loadings might slip in and hit steel at close range?

The assigned pistol competition area (#5) is really nice.  I'm not a competitive pistol shooter, but I did meander around and check out a steel challenge there one Sunday (mentioned above). Seems like it's eight high-bermed slots.  Each has a covered carport type structure, centered on each slot. Ground is gravel.  Loading tables in at partition berms of each shooting slot.  Bathrooms not too far distance away. This would be a great place for the get together, if it happens. Maybe they'd allow a catering or grilling there? I will ask next time I go.

If no catering or grilling would be allowed, there is a sports bar/grill called Montana's about 10 minutes away near I20. I've not eaten there, but freinds tell me it's good.  Pell City is another 10 minutes farther and they have a Cracker Barrel and other food places there. Lodging chains too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Any interest in a meetup this year, guys?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, I am interested in a hometown meetup. We can do it at the CMP or we can do it at a public or private range somewhere else. Damn it, I need something to look forward to.  The pavilion at the CMP may not allow grilling, but there may be electricity that would allow us to muster a lost battalion of crock pots for the greater good.

If interest exist, I will follow up since I am close. We can meet at the national forest range and shoot MOA all day challenges on paper and eat later at a local establishment. Lets do something, anything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds good to me.. does anyone else want to weigh in?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#39]
If I am free I'll go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd be interested in a meet up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top