BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
From an "outsider" in Wisconsin, Hoover Tactical was pretty fun and that is before I knew about the MG shoots. My brother took me there and I wanted one or more of the Les Baer TRS they had... I refrained. Sounds like fun and if I get there I will partake. I have already shot everything(AD and NG) belt fed and most magazine fed, but I am out and miss it sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Age limits and what do they do to prevent that tragedy that occured a couple years ago up north with the 9 (?) year old boy.

My son and I went to an informal machine gun shoot at Swan Creek years ago.  We're just sitting there watching the guys shoot machine guns and then this one guy points to my son (he was 10-12 or so at the time) and gives the "come here" motion.  My son goes over, and the guy proceeds to talk to my son about the full-auto Uzi that he has and the next thing I know, my son is shooting a full auto Uzi down range!

He handled it very, very well, I was proud of him.    Pissed me off though that he got to shoot a full auto gun and I still haven't.  

Anyway, I was impressed with the way the guy stood right by him to ensure that the gun didn't go out of control.  I think he also started him out with only a few rounds in the mag so he could see how he handled it.

The other regret is that I never thanked the guy - if you're on this board, then Thank You!!!   You made my son's day that day and I apprecriate it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
intredasting...
Have to admit it would be fun to rock a belt fed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Age limits and what do they do to prevent that tragedy that occured a couple years ago up north with the 9 (?) year old boy.

My son and I went to an informal machine gun shoot at Swan Creek years ago.  We're just sitting there watching the guys shoot machine guns and then this one guy points to my son (he was 10-12 or so at the time) and gives the "come here" motion.  My son goes over, and the guy proceeds to talk to my son about the full-auto Uzi that he has and the next thing I know, my son is shooting a full auto Uzi down range!

He handled it very, very well, I was proud of him.    Pissed me off though that he got to shoot a full auto gun and I still haven't.  

Anyway, I was impressed with the way the guy stood right by him to ensure that the gun didn't go out of control.  I think he also started him out with only a few rounds in the mag so he could see how he handled it.

The other regret is that I never thanked the guy - if you're on this board, then Thank You!!!   You made my son's day that day and I apprecriate it!
View Quote

Three main things with this.

1. Everyone has a range officer practically touching them until we are sure they can handle what they have chosen to shoot.

2. Being an indoor range, the lanes and constricted enough that if something were to go out of control, there is something to stop rounds immediately right and left of the shooter. Everything/everyone else is behind them.

3. We are adamant about not letting the difficult to control guns go out with someone who cannot control it.  

Good question!

ETA- Age limits: The minimum age for the range is 10, and usually we do not let anyone under 16 shoot the machine guns. We have made some exceptions for the fixed mount beltfeds, but we tend to stick pretty tight to the 16 age limit unless there are extenuating factors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok thanks notso!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I was talking to my son about this machine gun shoot where he shot the Uzi and we seemed to recall it was organized by a guy named Tony.  As I recall, he used to post here a lot (which, I think, how I found out about the shoot) is he still around?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was talking to my son about this machine gun shoot where he shot the Uzi and we seemed to recall it was organized by a guy named Tony.  As I recall, he used to post here a lot (which, I think, how I found out about the shoot) is he still around?
View Quote

If I'm thinking of the same guy he was in poor health (cancer??) a couple of years ago.  Could be a different person though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I'm thinking of the same guy he was in poor health (cancer??) a couple of years ago.  Could be a different person though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Gooch who lost his battle with cancer back in 2012, also known as Machine Gun Tony.  He would hold MG shoots out at Swan Creek, first time I meet him was at Swan Creek and he was shooting a Post Sample conversion he did for a PD.  I had only lived in AL for a year or so and I didn't know you could own MG's, so I was talking to him about it and he handed me a 30 round mag and said here you want to shoot it.  Of course I did!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tony Gooch who lost his battle with cancer back in 2012, also known as Machine Gun Tony.  He would hold MG shoots out at Swan Creek, first time I meet him was at Swan Creek and he was shooting a Post Sample conversion he did for a PD.  I had only lived in AL for a year or so and I didn't know you could own MG's, so I was talking to him about it and he handed me a 30 round mag and said here you want to shoot it.  Of course I did!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was him, Machine Gun Tony.

Sorry to hear he died.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Next date is tomorrow FYI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top