Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
So my wife planned a family vacation to Destin and we'll be traveling down 65 from TN. My questions are how's the construction, overal road conditions, is the old saying "9 your fine" true?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

So my wife planned a family vacation to Destin and we'll be traveling down 65 from TN. My questions are how's the construction, overal road conditions, is the old saying "9 your fine" true?
View Quote
You won't notice a difference in quality from tn to AL

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
North of Birmingham there is a construction project going on where the interchange for I22 is being built, but it shouldn't affect you going south.
South of B'ham, around Hoover/Pelham, make sure you're not going warp one and you should be fine.
Farther south than that, I got nothing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have the wife and kids in the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle and outlaws, oops inlaws, following so I plan on setting the cruise control at about 8mph over.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Be aware of construction between MM242 and MM238 southbound.

I havent figured out what their schedule is, but it sucks when they have lanes closed
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be aware of construction between MM242 and MM238 southbound.

I havent figured out what their schedule is, but it sucks when they have lanes closed
View Quote

Forgot about that.. It'd be nice if ALDOT could leave well enough alone for just one month. Is that so much to ask for>
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Careful around Montgomery. Last time I was through 65 was crawling with troopers 10 miles on either side of the city. '9 you're fine' varies. When I was working it was give em 10 - write at 11 - but - and this is a VERY BIG BUT - some will write you for less than 5 over. In some areas the limit is 70. 78 might cost you. I really don't know what to tell ya other than be careful. If you are travelling during one of the revenue generating periods ( Labor Day - July 4th - etc ) set your cruise control at the limit - sit back - relax and drive.

You will enjoy Destin. Unless you are planning a stop in or around Mobile take the Hwy 225 exit from I-65 to Spanish Fort and hit I-10 east there. Will cut 30 miles or so off your drive. Maybe someone else can chime in with better directions but there is no reason to drive through Mobile unless you just want to.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Careful around Montgomery. Last time I was through 65 was crawling with troopers 10 miles on either side of the city. '9 you're fine' varies. When I was working it was give em 10 - write at 11 - but - and this is a VERY BIG BUT - some will write you for less than 5 over. In some areas the limit is 70. 78 might cost you. I really don't know what to tell ya other than be careful. If you are travelling during one of the revenue generating periods ( Labor Day - July 4th - etc ) set your cruise control at the limit - sit back - relax and drive.

You will enjoy Destin. Unless you are planning a stop in or around Mobile take the Hwy 225 exit from I-65 to Spanish Fort and hit I-10 east there. Will cut 30 miles or so off your drive. Maybe someone else can chime in with better directions but there is no reason to drive through Mobile unless you just want to.
View Quote

Sounds like I will keep with the flow of traffic unless they're going crazy fast.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Just keep an eye out for any silver four door Toyota sedans around Montgomery. The troopers have one or two they like to sneak in there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just keep an eye out for any silver four door Toyota sedans around Montgomery. The troopers have one or two they like to sneak in there.
View Quote

That just absolutely sucks. Revenue generation at it's finest.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me going on that stuff. Our local PD has a blacked out Chrysler 300 and a beat up white Corsica for "traffic enforcement". Nashville has various makes and models for the same purpose.  They have a task force that only pulls cars over for traffic violations and only during certain hours.  It took me by surprise one night to see a purple grand am writing a ticket down town Nashville. Bastards.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a best route?  My wife is dead set on using map quest and getting off and going 31 which I think I did like 20years ago and it took forever.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
US Hwy 31 is full of speed traps and red lights.  Small towns are using the PoPo to generate revenue from the non locals just passing through their towns.    
They will even authorize overtime for unmarked speed enforcement units during the week before and after the holiday.  
They bank on the fact that you will not return to fight the ticket and just pay it online.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have a best route?  My wife is dead set on using map quest and getting off and going 31 which I think I did like 20years ago and it took forever.
View Quote

Split the difference. 31 down to Montgomery then 65 to finish up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the way we came down yesterday. It wasn't too bad and only saw one cop once off of 65. I just kept up with the flow and it went okay except for two screaming kids in the back seat
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Good deal. Enjoy your vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top