Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2015 10:53:32 PM EDT
Got to shoot at the new CMP facility near the Talladega Speedway today.  I read they spent 20 million to build it.  I believe it.  Really nice place.  Think "country club with guns" nice.  

Main rifle range goes out to 600yards. Neat electronic scoring system there.  Also some of that at the shorter rifle range. Pistol range 4 has cardboard and shooting tree steel.  This was the leas expensive range at $10/half day.  This is where I shot.  All ranges I saw were covered.  Even has shotgun sport ranges for trap and such.

Note to those on first visit.....

They do a periodic "This is our facility and safety requirements" class during the day.  In and out in 15 minutes. This is required before you can go on the ranges for the first time.
You then sign a waiver, then pay for whatever range(s) you intend to shoot on.
Also, make sure that you have cases for all firearms you intend to bring.  Rifles and pistols. They prefer hard cases. Unloaded, naturally.
Eye protections mandatory on steel targets at pistol range.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am trying to plan a trip down to see it myself.

Did you notice what kind of a setup they have on the long range rifle range?  Do they have any type of shooting benches?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Alreb,

Yes.  Main range behind the big clubhouse. I rough counted at least forty shooting slots.  Most have benches, some slots open for prone.  All slots have the new electronic targeting set up (which I hear is what they have at Camp Perry).  No need for spotting scope. Readouts are on tethers right on your table if you want.  Ranges are 200, 400, and 600. The whole firing line, like all the rifle/pistol lines, are covered for the weather.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
I have been following the progress on this place.  All the pictures I have seen of the long range rifle range had people shooting prone.

The electronic targets seem really nice.  No spotting scope, no changing targets with instant feedback.  From what I found on the manufactures web site they are supposed to be accurate to arround 0.5mm.

According to the flyer it has 50 lanes.

http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm heading over in early June. I'm from Jacksonville originally.
Lif y'all,see a plaque out there "SFC Francisco Laureano". That was my dad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Going the the AMC Buddy class in June. Going to try a few rifles and the skeet/trap range
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad I saw this thread... I'm heading to the range in a couple of weeks.  It's a 2+ hour trip from Huntsville, so I want to make sure there no surprises.  Anyone have any details on the action pistol range, or pistol targets?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot there last week and it is GLORIOUS! Easily the nicest place I've ever shot, and the electronic targets are a really nice touch.

The way their pricing works is if you pay for the 600 yard range, you get to use the 100 and 50 yard rifle ranges too. So you can go check zero on the shorter range before moving to the longer one. It was $15 for half day on the 100 yard rifle range.  My buddy and I literally had the range to ourselves on a Thursday afternoon.

And they have actual restrooms at each range, not a porta-potty on site.

The shooting benches are set up for right or left handed shooters, and each has a heavy foam block with cutouts for a shooting bag (and they have shooting bags too).

Yes, they do prefer cased but if you dont have a case then they will provide an empty chamber indicator that you are required to use while not actively shooting.

And there are parking lots at each range so you dont have to shlep all your gear down on foot. I parked 50 feet from where I was shooting which was nice.  At the big range, they have golf carts that you can use to ferry your gear down (also free of charge).

Pro shop on site operated by Creedmore, prices at the range were the same as at Creedmore's store (we stopped by there on our way).

The only thing they don't have is food, but I spoke with the manager on site and he said they were talking with local vendors to bring in catering during events.  So bring some water and jerky.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Went there for the first time this week - DAMN!!!

I was expecting to be impressed from what I read on here and seeing their webiste. It far surpassed my expectations.

The facilty is beautiful, the people there are great and the electronic target system is brilliant.

For $20 you get 4 hours ($35 for a full day) at any (non shotgun) range you want. You can drive or walk to each range and move around as much as you want.

This place is going to cost me a lot of money in ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went there for the first time this week - DAMN!!!

I was expecting to be impressed from what I read on here and seeing their webiste. It far surpassed my expectations.

The facilty is beautiful, the people there are great and the electronic target system is brilliant.

For $20 you get 4 hours ($35 for a full day) at any (non shotgun) range you want. You can drive or walk to each range and move around as much as you want.

This place is going to cost me a lot of money in ammo.
View Quote

It may cost you even more. I'm trying to get an Alabama HTF meetup at the range. Have some sort of shootout or such.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from first visit to the CMP range...."impressive" does not do justice to this facility. Lots of lanes open, so there was no crowding between the lanes. Range 3 is under construction, so it is closed, but all the other ranges are gtg. The park will be closed next week (19th-25th) due to the races.

Also, the Creedmore store is expanding at the clubhouse. If I was not a broke man, I would be if I stayed there to long. Make sure you boys take lots of ammo....you'll want to stay all day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother in B'Ham has been bugging me to come down and shoot there. Sounds like an excellent range for the shooters.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just got back from first visit to the CMP range...."impressive" does not do justice to this facility. Lots of lanes open, so there was no crowding between the lanes. Range 3 is under construction, so it is closed, but all the other ranges are gtg. The park will be closed next week (19th-25th) due to the races.

Also, the Creedmore store is expanding at the clubhouse. If I was not a broke man, I would be if I stayed there to long. Make sure you boys take lots of ammo....you'll want to stay all day.
View Quote

thnx for the feedback, been hearing great things about this place and need to go soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thnx for the feedback, been hearing great things about this place and need to go soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NP, just wish I had gone to range 5 which is the action pistol range. Guess I'll have an excuse to go back soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NP, just wish I had gone to range 5 which is the action pistol range. Guess I'll have an excuse to go back soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're putting down gravel in all of the action pistol bays and putting in something similar to the awnings at Brock's Gap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're putting down gravel in all of the action pistol bays and putting in something similar to the awnings at Brock's Gap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range 5 was open this past Friday, not sure if they had put it down yet. I think USPSA was shooting yesterday, so it's possible I guess. How is the action range set up (non-comp days)? Is there a setup already there, or does a shooter set it up to their preference if they want to shoot there? Not sure what they were doing at #3, didn't see any work going on, but it was down.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
question from from someone coming from atlanta. takes a while to get there.

interested in the 600yrd range. what are the chances that it would be crowded on the weekend? weekday etc? i would assume a place as nice as this place sounds would be covered up on the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
question from from someone coming from atlanta. takes a while to get there.

interested in the 600yrd range. what are the chances that it would be crowded on the weekend? weekday etc? i would assume a place as nice as this place sounds would be covered up on the weekend.
View Quote

I don't know about weekends but I have been there 3 times on Friday's with a buddy and it is never crowded on the 600 yard range. The first couple of times I think there were maybe 4 or 5 other shooters on the 50 lanes. The last time there were maybe 20 people tops. We usually get there about 9 or 9:30 and shoot for a half a day. The 100 yard range may be getting heavier traffic due to people sighting in for rifle season for deer coming up next month.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I will have to check out that new CMP range while I am here visiting
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I will have to check out that new CMP range while I am here visiting
View Quote

I'll parrot what others have said - it's gorgeous.

The hours are seasonal, so be sure to check their website:  http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I only live about 20 minutes from the new range.  Couple that with the fact that I can shoot for four hours on a Sunday afternoon at the #4 pistol range for $10....that means the place is cutting into my reloading components.

I started this thread because when I first went down there after they opened the place was like a ghost town. Could not believe it. Figured spreading the word on AR15.com would get the place populated help the place profit.  Glad some of yall got out to check it out.

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I only live about 20 minutes from the new range.  Couple that with the fact that I can shoot for four hours on a Sunday afternoon at the #4 pistol range for $10....that means the place is cutting into my reloading components.

I started this thread because when I first went down there after they opened the place was like a ghost town. Could not believe it. Figured spreading the word on AR15.com would get the place populated help the place profit.  Glad some of yall got out to check it out.

View Quote

I was there yesterday.

There were 3-4 shooters on the 100 rifle range.
There were 2-3 shooters on the 200-600 rifle range.
Those numbers included me!

The 25-50 pistol range with the electronic targeting system is supposed to open very soon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I am planning to be out there next weekend. Got a new upper to wring out
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was there yesterday.

The 25-50 pistol range with the electronic targeting system is supposed to open very soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was there yesterday.

Good to hear about electronics for pistols.  Could have used those today.  Was raining today, so paper was not an option on the #4  pistol range. Steel was all you could shoot. Also got to finally stretch out my Ruger American on the big #1 range before they shut down.  The electronics there are just the cat's posterior.

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot the Glock match there a few weeks ago. To say the facility is state of the art and impressive is an understatement. I hope to return soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I shot the Glock match there a few weeks ago. To say the facility is state of the art and impressive is an understatement. I hope to return soon.
View Quote

What you call a "Glock" match...is that one of those GSSF things?  I am no way good enough to shoot a competitive match, but I would like to watch one of those sometime.  When do they have another on the slate at the CMP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top