Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
Back 10+ years ago, they seemed to be the only full-service firearms shop around town.  

They had some great people working there.  

The owner Tom seemed like a great guy.  Seems like I heard he just got too old to run the place, and turned the business over to his daughter.  

There was a guy named Chip that was really knowledgeable, but he left for some reason.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They moved to Moody.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It's nowhere near as nice.  Doesn't even contain a 1/10th of what their Hoover store did.  Just a small store with the old name on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's nowhere near as nice.  Doesn't even contain a 1/10th of what their Hoover store did.  Just a small store with the old name on it.
View Quote

The place seemed to be going downhill before the move.  The old reliable staff was gone, and there was lots of empty space.  

Was the store sold to new owners?  

Where did that guy named Chip go?  He was my source for firearms advice.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think too many people knew that Tom was suffering from dementia (he wasn't as young as he looked), and was spending less and less time in the store. I think (but don't know for sure) that the progression of that disease prompted the transfer of the store to his daughter (who happens to be Mike Royer's wife). She made quite a few changes to the appearance of the store, making it neater and more organized. I suspect that their move to Moody may have been due in part to the success of Hoover Tactical syphoning off the Gun Cellar's customer base.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to be a regular there also.. many years ago.  I've gone a couple of times to the new store but it definitely doesn't have the same feel.  The people are still top notch though - Paul & his twin brother and the other guy (sorry I can't remember his name, cool dude though).  I hope that it turns back into a success.  At one point it was -the place- to go.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I only went to the Gun Cellar one time when they were in Hoover and it is totally different from the Moody location. They dont have a lot of stock, nor the best prices but they must be doing something right because they are still there.

The LCP I have in my pocket was purchased from them(in Moody) and it was an excellent price at the time.

I hope to see them in Moody for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top