Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Writing letters now.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Nevermind, I misread.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand. Licensees are supposed to submit registration forms to the State for handgun purchases? Since when?

I can honestly say I have never heard of this or know this was a thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know this was a thing either. Is this only on the FFL side?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a link to the bill text.  They usually reference the current sections of the laws they are trying to change amend  or repeal.

Edit to add:
They do list the sections:

It happens to be in 13A-11-79: http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/13A-11-79.htm

I think that big May I point out there could be why it is not done.  Either way the law is on the books and should be repealed.  I think most firearm laws on the state and national level should be reviewed and repealed or simplified...

Dealers' licenses - Issuance; conditions; display; fees.

The duly constituted licensing authorities of any city, town or political subdivision of this state may grant licenses in forms prescribed by the secretary of state, effective for not more than one year from date of issue, permitting the licensee to sell pistols at retail within this state subject to the following conditions, in addition to those specified in Section 13A-11-77, for breach of any of which the license shall be forfeited and the licensee subject to punishment as provided in this division. The business shall be carried on only in the building designated in the license. The license or a copy thereof, certified by the issuing authority, shall be displayed on the premises where it can easily be read. No pistol shall be sold in violation of any provisions of this division, nor shall a pistol be sold under any circumstances unless the purchaser is personally known to the seller or shall present clear evidence of his identity. A true record in triplicate shall be made of every pistol sold, in a book kept for the purpose, the form of which may be prescribed by the Secretary of State and shall be personally signed by the purchaser and by the person effecting the sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number of the weapon, the name, address, occupation, color and place of birth of purchaser and a statement signed by the purchaser that he has never been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence. One copy shall be sent within six hours by registered or certified mail to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the dealer is a resident; the dealer shall within seven days send the duplicate to the Secretary of State; and the dealer shall retain the triplicate for six years. No pistol or imitation thereof or placard advertising the sale thereof shall be displayed in any part of any premises where it can readily be seen from the outside. The fee for issuing said license shall be $.50, which fee shall be paid into the State Treasury.

(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §181; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-159.)
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]
An FFL i spoke with said they are supposed to do it if there are multiple handguns in one sale. Not sure if that is per day, week etc.. That part might be up to their discretion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An FFL i spoke with said they are supposed to do it if there are multiple handguns in one sale. Not sure if that is per day, week etc.. That part might be up to their discretion.
View Quote

That is a federal thing and completely separate from this.  One copy to ATF Tracing center, one to the County Sheriff, and one kept with the 4473(s)

That I knew about. THIS is completely different.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you have a link to the bill text.  They usually reference the current sections of the laws they are trying to change amend  or repeal.

Edit to add:
They do list the sections:

It happens to be in 13A-11-79: http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/13A-11-79.htm

I think that big May I point out there could be why it is not done.  Either way the law is on the books and should be repealed.  I think most firearm laws on the state and national level should be reviewed and repealed or simplified...

Dealers' licenses - Issuance; conditions; display; fees.

The duly constituted licensing authorities of any city, town or political subdivision of this state may grant licenses in forms prescribed by the secretary of state, effective for not more than one year from date of issue, permitting the licensee to sell pistols at retail within this state subject to the following conditions, in addition to those specified in Section 13A-11-77, for breach of any of which the license shall be forfeited and the licensee subject to punishment as provided in this division. The business shall be carried on only in the building designated in the license. The license or a copy thereof, certified by the issuing authority, shall be displayed on the premises where it can easily be read. No pistol shall be sold in violation of any provisions of this division, nor shall a pistol be sold under any circumstances unless the purchaser is personally known to the seller or shall present clear evidence of his identity. A true record in triplicate shall be made of every pistol sold, in a book kept for the purpose, the form of which may be prescribed by the Secretary of State and shall be personally signed by the purchaser and by the person effecting the sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number of the weapon, the name, address, occupation, color and place of birth of purchaser and a statement signed by the purchaser that he has never been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence. One copy shall be sent within six hours by registered or certified mail to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the dealer is a resident; the dealer shall within seven days send the duplicate to the Secretary of State; and the dealer shall retain the triplicate for six years. No pistol or imitation thereof or placard advertising the sale thereof shall be displayed in any part of any premises where it can readily be seen from the outside. The fee for issuing said license shall be $.50, which fee shall be paid into the State Treasury.

(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §181; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-159.)
View Quote

Occupation? Place of birth?  A copy sent registered mail within SIX HOURS of the sale?!

Holy Crap! How do you even get something in the mail guaranteed within 6 hours?

Is there even a place to find these forms? Is the dealer supposed to supply them?

What a freakin mess of a law.

ETA- And COLOR! Ha! This must be from a long while ago, because a form that asks for "COLOR" in Alabama would have ACLU on it in no time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That's it, it's racist! This law must be repealed! NO PISTOL REGISTRATION!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never heard of it either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand. Licensees are supposed to submit registration forms to the State for handgun purchases? Since when?

I can honestly say I have never heard of this or know this was a thing.

I never heard of it either.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Similarly, I have never heard on a ban on allowing minors to fire pistols.

I see this every trip to the range.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You know, i'm thinking this is one of those laws on the books no one pays attention to or even knows about, including FFL's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top