Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 12:05:48 PM EDT
Making my first trip down to that area in early July, which I know is not prime time, but is a good family time.  I will be right on Little Lagoon for a week.

If anyone knows the local hotspots and setups, I'd be glad to buy a meal/beers and have a chat.  Even better if anyone wants a tagalong one day.  :)    I can fill you in on fishing near Savannah if ever needed, also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Making my first trip down to that area in early July, which I know is not prime time, but is a good family time.  I will be right on Little Lagoon for a week.

If anyone knows the local hotspots and setups, I'd be glad to buy a meal/beers and have a chat.  Even better if anyone wants a tagalong one day.  :)    I can fill you in on fishing near Savannah if ever needed, also.
View Quote

Only place I know of is the pier. The Perdido pass on the west side was closed down a while back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only place I know of is the pier. The Perdido pass on the west side was closed down a while back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was reading up a bit, and checking out the pass.  It seems it got dredged deeper.  It might end up being a sweet place for some surfcasting during tide changes, or maybe later in the evening when the sun and surf folks are off the beach.   Thanks for the input so far.  :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was reading up a bit, and checking out the pass.  It seems it got dredged deeper.  It might end up being a sweet place for some surfcasting during tide changes, or maybe later in the evening when the sun and surf folks are off the beach.   Thanks for the input so far.  :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem was the sea wall eroded on the west side and they have not fixed it yet.
When did they dredge it? I don't remember hearing anything about that?

Also you can still get to it on the east side but it's shallow and casting far enough is not going to happen with the traffic that comes through there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You can fish off the sea wall from over by/ at the Gulf Restaurant. Most people walk down past the restaurant so as not to be in the thick of things.

They've been dredging the pass for the past week and a half as it had gotten fairly shallow. They do this every few years. You can always surf fish and target redfish, whiting, blacktips, sheepshead, and pompano.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to like going out under the bridge at the bay and casting around the bridge legs, always manage to get something to bite.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent.   Those are a couple of spots for me to add to my maps, and check out on google earth.  I have been looking at a few points for surfcasting, but will need to read the beach when I get there.   The pier looks interesting for tarpon in July, but I really like to target grillfish (smaller reds, sea trout, pompano, blacktip) as well  :)

Thanks for the spot tips.  Remember to grab me if you intend to fish Savannah/Tybee
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I go to the pier to fish.  It's really nice.  take something with wheels.  It's a long ass walk if you have to carry everything.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent.   Those are a couple of spots for me to add to my maps, and check out on google earth.  I have been looking at a few points for surfcasting, but will need to read the beach when I get there.   The pier looks interesting for tarpon in July, but I really like to target grillfish (smaller reds, sea trout, pompano, blacktip) as well  :)

Thanks for the spot tips.  Remember to grab me if you intend to fish Savannah/Tybee

I go to the pier to fish.  It's really nice.  take something with wheels.  It's a long ass walk if you have to carry everything.  

That's the truth.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the truth.

Haha!  I have my little reels on wheels cart.  It is good for taking all my gear wherever, along with the cold drink cooler, and small umbrella chair.  :)   Fishing the pier is a definite, I just like to have other spots figured out as well, in case I am not feeling pierlike, or want to rip out some really long casts with poles way too long for a pier.  

That pier looks really, really long, which will be a nice change for me. I fish the Tybee Pier pretty often, and you still have to kick your bait out a good 30-40 yards to slip over the dropoff out of the shallows.   Not much disatnce to do, but can be a bit annoying when there are 8 billion non-fishermen on the pier, none of which have any idea that hooks are sharp and move fast.  Lots of looking over the shoulder and waiting there.

Thanks again guys.  Really looking forward to the trip.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Just wade out to the first sandbar and cast a silver spoon at dawn off the beach for specks, occ redfish, lots of ladyfish, and an occ blue fish or blue runner and a rare jack.

Fun fishing and catching, but don't be dead set on a fish dinner.

I have never fished the Little Lagoon, except on the cut in GS where it empties into the gulf.  Lots of water movement in  a very small area you can wade and fish.

There is a parking area.  Head west into GS until it almost dead ends, you will cross a small bridge over the cut.  Or you can fish an outgoing tide there for redfish in the gulf as water leaves Little Lagoon.

Do you have a kayak?  Not sure if you can rent them, but I have heard you can really get into the specs on the west end of LL early in the morning with topwater baits from a kayak.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just wade out to the first sandbar and cast a silver spoon at dawn off the beach for specks, occ redfish, lots of ladyfish, and an occ blue fish or blue runner and a rare jack.

I have never fished the Little Lagoon, except on the cut in GS where it empties into the gulf.  Lots of water movement in  a very small area you can wade and fish.

There is a parking area.  Head west into GS until it almost dead ends, you will cross a small bridge over the cut.  Or you can fish an outgoing tide there for redfish in the gulf as water leaves Little Lagoon.

Do you have a kayak?  Not sure if you can rent them, but I have heard you can really get into the specs on the west end of LL early in the morning with topwater baits from a kayak.
View Quote
I probably will not be able to take a kayak, but might look at a rental.   I have a little collection of silver Kastmaster spoons, both with and without bucktails that have served me well in the past.  I have had good luck with using a small square of fishbites shrimp on the lures, too.  That cut between the lagoon and the gulf has been high on my priority list since I started looking at maps of the area.  :)  Thanks Much!  

I'll top this thread before coming down, and see if anyone is headed out to bother some fish that week.  I always enjoy meeting other arfcommers.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I probably will not be able to take a kayak, but might look at a rental.   I have a little collection of silver Kastmaster spoons, both with and without bucktails that have served me well in the past.  I have had good luck with using a small square of fishbites shrimp on the lures, too.  That cut between the lagoon and the gulf has been high on my priority list since I started looking at maps of the area.  :)  Thanks Much!      

I'll top this thread before coming down, and see if anyone is headed out to bother some fish that week.  I always enjoy meeting other arfcommers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We haven't made our plans just yet but sometimes we are there in the first week of July.
Subscribed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how productive the pass into the lagoon will be. They have been doing heavy construction on it for a while and will be for some time. You might want to check out Pensacola fishing forum for more info.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Also know that the pass has an incredible current during tide changes. Plus, boat wakes and the swells can cross and it can get pretty turbulent. You can reach some of the bridge pilings from the beach, and a lot of boats pull up there to catch bait fish, which can be pretty fun to catch on ultra light tackle (hard tails). Get a sabiki rig (actually several), and you can catch several at once. Keep them alive for the end of pier fishing or cut them up for bait.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Not July yet.  :(

Hurry up vacation!  

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Almost vacation time!

How's fishing been?

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Almost vacation time!

How's fishing been?

View Quote

Good when I left. Bait was aplenty. I'm in Savannah now btw.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost vacation time!

How's fishing been?

Excellent.  I usually fish the North jetties at Tybee island, and into lazaretto creek.   Tight lines!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also know that the pass has an incredible current during tide changes. Plus, boat wakes and the swells can cross and it can get pretty turbulent. You can reach some of the bridge pilings from the beach, and a lot of boats pull up there to catch bait fish, which can be pretty fun to catch on ultra light tackle (hard tails). Get a sabiki rig (actually several), and you can catch several at once. Keep them alive for the end of pier fishing or cut them up for bait.
View Quote

My wife and I went out with my dad last year at about this time and caught a bunch of hardtails to use as live bait at the tanks.  That worked very well, with my wife catching a 200-250 lb shark as the biggest catch of the day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Shore based fishing was kind of a bust while I was there, it must have been the season.  A few big croakers, and a pair of decent sea trout from little lagoon, nothing but a remora and a ray from the pier.   I did pull a juvenile blacktip from the lagoon, which caused my daughter to cease swimming for the day, but she was over it pretty quickly.   :)

We did have a nice family trip overall, and drove over to Orange beach, which we found to be very pretty, and less built up than Gulf Shores.  Fort Morgan and the ferry was a good day trip, and we discovered Royal Red shrimp for the first time, which was a big hit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top