Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 8:26:49 PM EDT
There are a ton of other states that allow you to night hunt coyotes and hogs freely on private land, and even bait for those animals. Alabama allows neither. Since both are classified as pest or nuisance animals, do you believe you should be able to hunt these creatures via the most effective methods? Currently you can get a night hunting permit, but that requires some kind of damage. I saw things online that said "Just call and ask for a permit, you don't even have to prove damage for hogs and coyotes" but when I called, since I don't personally have damage other than over population on our hunting club, I was not granted one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of us covet authority. When people want to take some of that authority away, those who stand to lose some of "their" authority will invariably resist.

Alabama CO's are no different. They want to keep and, if possible, take as much "authority" as possible to themselves. It has nothing to do with what's right and good for The People. Remember what most Alabama Sheriff's did when SB286 came before the State legislature? They didn't want to lose "their" authority and were crying wolf claiming the streets would run red with blood if we dared take their authority to arbitrarily choose who could and could not carry a concealed firearm.

Look for CO's to cry wolf and claim that the forests and plains will run red with the blood of hunters using NV and carrying dangerous weapons after the sun sets, because it's just too dangerous to hunt with vampires and werewolves running around.

Oh... yeah... get that petition going. I'll sign it.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll sign but I think I'll prob never own NV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll sign but I think I'll prob never own NV.
View Quote

You don't even have to own NV. I have a red Crimson LED flashlight I paid 80 bucks for that shines probably 200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most of us covet authority. When people want to take some of that authority away, those who stand to lose some of "their" authority will invariably resist.

Alabama CO's are no different. They want to keep and, if possible, take as much "authority" as possible to themselves. It has nothing to do with what's right and good for The People. Remember what most Alabama Sheriff's did when SB286 came before the State legislature? They didn't want to lose "their" authority and were crying wolf claiming the streets would run red with blood if we dared take their authority to arbitrarily choose who could and could not carry a concealed firearm.

Look for CO's to cry wolf and claim that the forests and plains will run red with the blood of hunters using NV and carrying dangerous weapons after the sun sets, because it's just too dangerous to hunt with vampires and werewolves running around.

Oh... yeah... get that petition going. I'll sign it.  
View Quote

I think you hit the nail on the head! I'd start it but I'm not 100% sure how, so let me look into that ;)
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My thoughts would be to start cordial conversation with folks from the DCNR about the existing policy and options for change.  I believe the policy against night equipment is set at their level.  Bring up your specific issue first and ask if there are ways this kind of trouble can be addressed.  Ask what documented problems they are aware of with night equipment that prompted the regulation, and ask how things have changed since.  

If possible you want to get them thinking about the actual effectiveness of the policy vs. the limitations it imposes.  In parallel, increased public interest in change as found by petition or polite letter can help increase interest in examining the policy.  

My 2 cents (helped with suppressor legalization)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I go so sunday school and live very close to the top game warden.  what do you want me to ask him?  I just got NV so am interested myself.

Event Date:
Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 9:00am

First meeting of 2015. If you wish to address the Board, you must register between 8 and 8:30 a.m.

The Conservation Advisory Board assists in formulating policies for the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, examines all rules and regulations and makes recommendations for their change or amendment. This includes hunting seasons and bag limits.
Richard Beard Building Auditorium, 1445 Federal Dr., Montgomery, Ala.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't sat down and cordially wrote down anything yet, so if any of my questions seem gruff, please be sure to polish them on my behalf.

My primary question would be "Why is hog and coyote hunting limited to day time only in Alabama, when most of our neighbors allow hunting these animals at night?"
My secondary question would be "My understanding is that hogs are pests, and coyotes are potentially pests with rarely checked populations. What reasons are there for limiting the most effective huntings methods?"

My third question would be "Could there be any consideration given to allowing night hunting if bag limits were changed (say, 6 hogs or 2 coyotes per person per day) or hunters were required to take a special online course about hunting responsibly at night, or possibly calling their local GW in advance to let them know when and where they are hunting at night, possibly opening them up to surprise checking to ensure they are only targeting the allowable animals."
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
well apparently things recently changed - they are supposed to just give the permits out upon requestsb now.  From AONMag

In order for anyone to legally hunt a property at night, the landowner must apply for a crop depredation permit with their DCNR district office. This process used to require the landowner to show proof of significant property damage. That is no longer the case for landowners seeking to hunt hogs or coyotes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't work for me, maybe if I had lied about crop or livestock damage. But the guy I talked to said they send someone out to check the damage then issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Because poachers would use it as an opportunity to kill deer
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Didn't work for me, maybe if I had lied about crop or livestock damage. But the guy I talked to said they send someone out to check the damage then issue.
View Quote

when was this?  I can ask my guy today/tonight..  Also, I may show up tomorrow morning as well, he says hes going to be there too
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a few weeks ago. I explained my hunting club had a large population, wanted to thin them down some because of low amounts of fawns, turkey too scared to gobble (I got one turkey to gobble last year, coyotes started howling in broad daylight and converged on it) and I was having trouble calling them in during the day. The guy said that they don't consider damage to game animals damage, only live stock, suggested I trap them instead.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
maybe we should request the permits officially move to "shall-issue" then.  my guy claims they are rubber-stamped, but your case clearly contradicts that.

can you come tomorrow and give your story?  the AON magazine says things were changed but apparently not?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure if I can make it on such short notice.

One question, are the permits to the person or the land? Such as, is the permit only for the land you called for, or does it follow the person?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Hah,  i already asked that quedtion.  Lets see
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate this answer to anything related to coyotes/hogs.

It's the same as saying guns should be banned because criminals have guns.

A POACHER IS GOING TO POACH NO MATTER THE LAW!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. They said the same thing with suppressors I'm sure. "It'll make poaching easier". When if they wanted to use a suppressor they already would have.

I'm hoping we can get a little change going on this. Maybe it was just the guy over my area who is tough? I don't know. I hate I forgot his name. He suggested trapping so I started doing that but so far I'm catching yard/stray dogs at a 2:1 ratio of coyotes. I can't keep that up. So maybe we can find better ways of managing this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

How often are night vision used illegally under the current framework?  Given the expense of NV, are such purchasers likely to be abusers for poaching?  Are there any recorded instances of such abuse in other states that allow Night Vision for pest control?  

In other words, is there some factual basis to the claim, or is it just unfounded paranoia?

ETA: Not a call out btw, just my view on the sort of questions that need to be asked when that line is brought out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How often are night vision used illegally under the current framework?  Given the expense of NV, are such purchasers likely to be abusers for poaching?  Are there any recorded instances of such abuse in other states that allow Night Vision for pest control?  

In other words, is there some factual basis to the claim, or is it just unfounded paranoia?

ETA: Not a call out btw, just my view on the sort of questions that need to be asked when that line is brought out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you too. I read somewhere (or heard on something) that poachers use what they have. If they don't have NV, or a suppressor, they aren't likely to buy one of them for poaching. If they can shoot it from the truck, speed away, and come back later for it, that's what they are going to do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#20]
One additional item is that there are other states that have tourism for night pest hunting.  Alabama regulations currently send that business to other neighboring states, and a thoughtful look at these regulations might find a way to open that market up locally.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One additional item is that there are other states that have tourism for night pest hunting.  Alabama regulations currently send that business to other neighboring states, and a thoughtful look at these regulations might find a way to open that market up locally.
View Quote

That's the problem with the regulations now. These animals should be treated as invasive species, not game animals.

The state is calling them invasive, but regulating them as game. It's got to be one or the other.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Not to mention the outfitters who have property with permits charging $500-$600 a night. I can't make myself pay that kind of money to be able to hunt pest species at night.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hah,  i already asked that quedtion.  Lets see
View Quote

Did you ever find out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top