Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 11:06:09 AM EDT
So disappointed. Initially this was proposed but it didnt get the precommits.

so they went with this.

looked at it in person last week. looks like crap. the image is tiny and distorted by squeezing it in. didnt pay the extra $50
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That would've been cool.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the Heart of Dixie, required by state law?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Bleh.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize the funds from these plates to go non-profits too. This one gives money to Foundation for Moral Law.

But for the most part the "generic specialty plates" they came up with all look bad with the little logo on the right. I really liked the original full design.

I'll probably just wind up doing one of the nicer speciality plates when my tag comes up. Lots of good causes and organizations to support with these as well.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the small one actually looks better--I don't like the yellow color.  But the snake is a little distorted....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have only seen 1 since they were issued.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh wow. I didn't even have a clue that these were a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couldn't switch it to another type of specialty plate since I pre-committed (as I suspected), so I will have one for at least a year.

Saw a sample in the probate office and it didn't look as bad in person as I thought it might.  When mine gets here, I'll have a better idea/impression.

View Quote

Please let us know because they just shrunk the graphics on the saltwater tag and I'm not too happy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I saw a new crimson tide tag today with a smaller logo as well.....couldn't really tell because it was so small though

very disappointing if they did
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The new UA tag was sent out a while ago IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
just looked at the state website and most of them have been redesigned this year with smaller logos, except the HBCs and jax state.

UAB's just looks sad

http://revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/collegeview.cfm

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw a truck with an Alabama Constitutional Militia sticker sporting one this morning.  Only one I've seen so far.  I liked the original design though I didn't plan on getting one. My the new one not so much, though the graphic didn't look as distorted on the real plate as it does in the image in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My google-fu is weak right now, sick kid and not much sleep... where is this law at?

Quoted:
Saw a truck with an Alabama Constitutional Militia sticker sporting one this morning.  Only one I've seen so far.  I liked the original design though I didn't plan on getting one. My the new one not so much, though the graphic didn't look as distorted on the real plate as it does in the image in this thread.

google-fu did locate something about this but looks like it's been inactive since around '03... any info on this one either?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My google-fu is weak right now, sick kid and not much sleep... where is this law at?

google-fu did locate something about this but looks like it's been inactive since around '03... any info on this one either?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Heart of Dixie tag law is located in Section 32-6-54 of the Code of Alabama.  It states "Every license tag or license plate issues by the State of Alabama for use on motor vehicles, in addition to any letters and figures prescribed by the Commissioner of Revenue, shall also have imprinted thereon a conventionalized representation of a heart and the words "Heart of Dixie."  The design of license tags or license plates shall be approved by the Commissioner of Revenue."

The one instance I saw he plate on a vehicle, I didn't notice if it had the heart and slogan.

Not sure on the militia question but I think there may be some active local chapters.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
maybe something to do with this

eta: called the alabama dept of archives and history regarding this page and was told by a very nice man that he knew nothing about anything legal changing it.... guess I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper into this and see what changed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
maybe something to do with this

eta: called the alabama dept of archives and history regarding this page and was told by a very nice man that he knew nothing about anything legal changing it.... guess I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper into this and see what changed.
View Quote

Yeah, Hubbard's bill didn't pass.  The language quoted above is current but I did read a bit further and Section 32-6-54.1 does allow any organization that has a personalized plate to request the language "Heart of Dixie" not be on the plate, thouh it doesn't address the heart logo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
well found one website here that said it had to have it but didnt specify a size the lettering had to be..went outside and looked at my tag, sure enough it's there.. tiny in the lower right corner just above the barcode..
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that simply an incomplete graphic and not an actual tag?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I think its an actual tag..or atleaset a cropped photo of one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't think t looked so bad in person, personally.

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Cars/AL%20DTOM%20tag%202015%20obscured_zpshuplv0rp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Cars/AL%20DTOM%20tag%202015%20obscured_zpshuplv0rp.jpg</a>

But I still wanted the proposed full tag, not this "compromise."

And I'll still change it next year, but more because of the limitation on characters for personalization than for the overall look.

View Quote
Agreed--they really don't look that bad at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top