Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2015 6:47:40 PM EDT
2nd Annual HTF Skills and Gear Shakedown Campout. Sipsey Wilderness, AL. April 10-12, 2015

Building on the success of last years HTF Campout it's time for round two! Here's your chance to get out and test yourself and your setup in the wild. See what works, or not, for your current skill level and load out. If you plan to attend and have special training or skills you would like to share, or have included in the event, by all means let us know! We want everyone to be safe, have fun, and enjoy themselves.

The event will be limited to 15 attendees. Priority will be given to last years participants.

Location/Details:
Sipsey Wilderness area, AL. April 10-12, 2015. We will be hiking in Friday and leaving on Sunday. If you cant make it Friday, you are welcome to come join us Saturday. We have a meet-up location to safely park our vehicles and carpool to the trailhead if interested. Parking is available at the Campout's trail entrance also.

A short hike is required to make it to the camp area. There will be fresh water on site, but will need to be treated to be potable. Small fires are good to go. Firearms are allowed in the Sipsey, however, this WILL NOT be a firearms or tactics type event. Use good judgement, be safe, and obey all State and Federal laws regarding firearms in the Sipsey.
Exact location and (free) permit info will be emailed to you upon your reply that you are 100% IN to attend. If you reserve a spot but can't make it, let us know ASAP so others that do want to attend get the opportunity!

Agenda:
We plan on having a loosely organized event that will be a chance for all attendees to share and put their skills and gear to use in a friendly atmosphere. We also plan to hold a couple of contests with small prizes for the winners. Our goal is for everyone to have fun and learn as much as possible about themselves, others, and their gear in action.
Unsafe Tom Foolery will not be tolerated! Regular ol' Tom Foolery is good to go. A good attitude will be key to everyone getting the most from the event.

Gear Requirements:
None! Bring what you think you will need to the event. Please keep in mind that if you plan on participating in the Nav course and other skills practice you will need to come equipped accordingly. Some event materials may, or may not, be provided.

Skills:
We plan to practice and execute some basic outdoor survival skills on this outing such as;

Navigation with map and compass. Great link for Nav study:Nav Study Guide
Water procurement and treatment
Shelter Building and Perimeter Security
Fire Making, cooking over fire
Wild Edibles
Snares and Fishing Techniques
Knots
Team movement/tactics
Your Ideas Here!

We hope you can make it out and enjoy the great outdoors with us!

PLEASE REPLY THAT YOU ARE 100% IN IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND.

Attendees Thus Far: Updated 4/3

BearJace  (willing to carpool from Atlanta GA area, IM for details)
bcauz3y +1
Saxplayer
bamaflinger +1 (late arrival)
redneckarmy34 +1
axl
Alex the neighbor

Pictures from last years Campout

Nav study before running the course

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in, 100%.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Who would want to go camping with you weirdos?

I'm 100% in.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say in but NRA annual meeting is April 10-12 in Nashville  
Looking forward to hearing about the fun though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh hell yes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I might bring my son and one of our dogs too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds good, I'll plus one you.

Do you think the one dog will be enough to feed everyone or should I bring one too?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do you think the one dog will be enough to feed everyone or should I bring one too?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the more the merrier!

Tasty!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell ya what, if y'all bring the dog, I'll bring the seasoning. All joking aside, I'm looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I had planned on being present for this but I'm afraid that my schedule isn't going to fit it.  Will have to see...

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I had planned on being present for this but I'm afraid that my schedule isn't going to fit it.  Will have to see...

View Quote

You're fired.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thinking 'bout it but old as I am might not even be around in April. Any wheel chair accessible camping spots?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thinking 'bout it but old as I am might not even be around in April. Any wheel chair accessible camping spots?

View Quote

We'll have your nursing assistant fast roped in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gacy style?

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll have to look at my schedule, but I'm about 97% sure I'll be there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#15]
wish my schedule permitted, gonna be fun
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

wish my schedule permitted, gonna be fun
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're fired.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're fired.

More like, you gonna get promoted bro.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#19]
What's our count up to?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/smokagar/gonna-get-loved-tenderly.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're fired.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/smokagar/gonna-get-loved-tenderly.jpg

At this rate who knows.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What's our count up to?
View Quote

7 with 2 maybes. Other than saxplayer it's the same group of us from last year so far. Guess it will be saxplayer being hunted this year!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
7 with 2 maybes. Other than saxplayer it's the same group of us from last year so far. Guess it will be saxplayer being hunted this year!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's our count up to?

Are we going to lather him up in pig fat like the last guy?

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#23]
squeal pig squeal
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's our count up to?

For the FNG hunt, I guess I should leave my cammies at home
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's our count up to?

May as well. We bring a barney suit for you to wear.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's our count up to?

lol
You sir owe me a new keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]
*UPDATE*

I'm considering teaching some team movement and camp security.

Is there someone better suited for it?

If not, I can do some basic work with ya'll.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quick question guys, I have a friend who's interesting in going, but he isn't an ARFCOM member. If you're a Tide fan you may remember him, Brenon Meadows from the 96/97 team. Would it be okay if he came along?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quick question guys, I have a friend who's interesting in going, but he isn't an ARFCOM member. If you're a Tide fan you may remember him, Brenon Meadows from the 96/97 team. Would it be okay if he came along?
View Quote

Of course, he's more than welcome. I'll plus one you on the attendee list.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Having been on the last one AND remained in lucid condition the entire trip I have  just a subtle word or two of encouragement for the new guys - Be prepared. Have good equipment. Hammocks are for pussies - real men sleep on the ground. And most importantly of all, set exceedingly low standards. They will be reached.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Having been on the last one AND remained in lucid condition the entire trip I have  just a subtle word or two of encouragement for the new guys - Be prepared. Have good equipment. Hammocks are for pussies - real men sleep on the ground. And most importantly of all, set exceedingly low standards. They will be reached.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like I'm out guys.  

We have ball games all weekend, just got the schedule.  I'm the coach, or I'd just tell them good luck with it.  

If anything changes, I'll let you know.  Sucks.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Looks like I'm out guys.  

We have ball games all weekend, just got the schedule.  I'm the coach, or I'd just tell them good luck with it.  

If anything changes, I'll let you know.  Sucks.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I may be able to make it out there Saturday late afternoon.  I'll bring my son if so, he'd love it.  

What time we heading out Sunday, early morning?  Same spot as last year?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I may be able to make it out there Saturday late afternoon.  I'll bring my son if so, he'd love it.  

View Quote
Yep same spot, early sunday, as soon as everyone is up and moving around.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Glad you'll make it!

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hope you can make it out man be good to see you again. I'll change you to pussed out, I mean a maybe, on the attendee list

Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you'll make it!

So axl is going to make it out now? Hope so!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
COOL

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hope you can make it out man be good to see you again. I'll change you to pussed out, I mean a maybe, on the attendee list

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad you'll make it!

Not sure, I'm trying peer pressure, but I'm not sure if it works on civil war veterans.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Haha, civil war, that's hilarious. If he does make it out I hope he brings some of his wife's awesome bread again!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you'll make it!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again too, it was a great time last year.  I told my son about it, I pretty much have to go now.  

He's so excited.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not sure, I'm trying peer pressure, but I'm not sure if it works on civil war veterans.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you'll make it!

Go to hell - damn kids. Just wait - I'll get your ass back on the next compass course. Felt sorry for y'all last time. Not again.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Looks like we may have woken the sleeping tiger guys! bring some of your wifes bread!!!

Look forward to the challenge. I had a tough Nav course at my survival school in January. It rained the whole time and the last half was in the dark, no lights allowed other than our small red personal markers. Good times, mostly when it was all over with
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#44]
If a noob were to be able to make this event, for Sat and Sun, what trailhead would he park in?

Got to go to Sipsey, once, last year.  Parked at Thompson TH and hiked to The Tree, so I know that  side kind of well.

If I did make it in on a Sat, what are the grid coordinates to the camp area?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If a noob were to be able to make this event, for Sat and Sun, what trailhead would he park in?

Got to go to Sipsey, once, last year.  Parked at Thompson TH and hiked to The Tree, so I know that  side kind of well.

If I did make it in on a Sat, what are the grid coordinates to the camp area?
View Quote

We would IM or email you the exact coordinates/directions upon your reply that you are 100% in to attend.

If you can only make it out for Saturday/Sunday that's fine, we'd be glad to have you. Make sure you read the Nav study guide linked in the OP
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Bear,

I'd love to 100% commit, but that is never a possibility with my work.  They are bad about dropping production bombs on us, last minute.

Would like to see more of the Sipsey before heat revives the muggy/buggy/snakey stuff and hang out.

The land nav stuff sounds fun. I have a nice compass and a good Cartocraft topo of the Sipsey.  A nice Garmin, too, in case my skills are too rusty.

Also, what entails a "short hike to the camp"?  Short is relative. Last time in, that yo-yo hike around Ship Rock and to the big tree really worked on me with a full pack in that blow-down infested area of Bee Branch. Had to drop it mid-Bee Branch to go on up to the Tree.  I ain't a spring chicken anymore. We talking a mile to camp?  Need to know.  If it's a shorty like that, I can bring luxuries....like real food. :)
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bear,

I'd love to 100% commit, but that is never a possibility with my work.  They are bad about dropping production bombs on us, last minute.

Would like to see more of the Sipsey before heat revives the muggy/buggy/snakey stuff and hang out.

The land nav stuff sounds fun. I have a nice compass and a good Cartocraft topo of the Sipsey.  A nice Garmin, too, in case my skills are too rusty.

Also, what entails a "short hike to the camp"?  Short is relative. Last time in, that yo-yo hike around Ship Rock and to the big tree really worked on me with a full pack in that blow-down infested area of Bee Branch. Had to drop it mid-Bee Branch to go on up to the Tree.  I ain't a spring chicken anymore. We talking a mile to camp?  Need to know.  If it's a shorty like that, I can bring luxuries....like real food. :)
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Just checked the weight on my pack. Currently it weighs 33.5 pounds. Time to find what I don't need and get it gone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Just checked the weight on my pack. Currently it weighs 33.5 pounds. Time to find what I don't need and get it gone.
View Quote
Bring it all, and we'll sort it out at camp.

Mine is ~20 lbs, and has more shit in it than it needs.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been done befo.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top