Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 10:01:33 AM EDT
I've been shooting and collecting guns a long time and I've  have always heard great things about Birmingham pistol wholesale. I went by there yesterday afternoon and was impressed by the selection but the prices were not very good on anything.  They had a big box of AK mags. Most were new Korea contract mags but there were a few European surplus mas mixed in.  There wasn't price on the box so I asked someone how much they were.  He says $29.99.  I know I looked dumbfounded.  These are the same Korean mags that CDNN is selling for $8.89.  I picked out one European mag that I wanted for my collection and asked another guy, $29.99. I said I don't want it that bad, thanks.  He then said $25 was the best he could do.  I passed.  They had a lot of 22lr ammo but at rediclous gouging prices.  The same box of Tula 45acp that you get at walmart for $15.96 was $25.99. Prices on guns were not great either.  I know it's about dickering for the price you want but to see high prices out the gate is a turn off. I don't get how this place is praised as highly as it is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Agreed. The ammo is ridiculous. Sometimes they have used Glocks for a fair price ($375-$475 with a couple mags, and maybe some half dead Trijicons). I had a buddy who told me of a combo deal they had with a lower receiver and 10 mags for about $200. It was when the last gun scare happened and was trending down. I had the money at the time. Figured I could put the mags in the safe for an investment piece for whenever the next political attempt comes. But nevertheless, each time I go in there I have a positive attitude, but come out disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They went up around the most recent panic and haven't come back down to earth yet.  I like the guys, seem like good folks.

I just can't justify the prices unless I'm in a bind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There was supposed to be a new store going in on Deerfoot with an indoor range and everything, not sure what the completion date looks like now though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanted to pull up the email that cdnn had sent me earlier in the day with those Korean AK mags for $8.89.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was supposed to be a new store going in on Deerfoot with an indoor range and everything, not sure what the completion date looks like now though.
View Quote

Sheepdog Firearms...https://www.facebook.com/sheepdogfirearms

Some friends of mine are involved.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep that's it thanks.  Hope they make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see selling those $10 mags for $15 or even $18.  Let's say I buy 5 mags at $10 online plus $10 shipping. That's $60.  5 mags at BPW @ $25 each is $125 plus tax.  What about the 45acp tula that's $10 more than at walmart?  22lr at $55 for 325 rnds? $120 for a bucket of Remington golden bullets?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a bad experience with them wasting my time over a Glock 19 during the panic. They will NEVER see my business again. Hoover Tactical is my go to place though I've bought nothing in a good while. I remember the retailers that tried to fuck over everyone during the panic and HTF was the ONLY one that didn't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL ^^^^^  thats funny right there, they sold a ar15s for $4500 during the panic
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL ^^^^^  thats funny right there, they sold a ar15s for $4500 during the panic
View Quote

Does the staff still act like they're doing customers a favor by "helping" them? I've never had a good experience with them, even in their old spot.

They did have that Saiga 12 for $1500 that they boasted about during the panic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really, Tim from TS Arms? You got proof of that? Never happened. I been there almost the entire time Htf has been in existence. We would get ar's and ak47s in and put them all out on saturdays and let our customers know via Facebook, so that everybody would have a fair chance to get what they could at a fair price. We never went up on our prices because our distributors, which are the same distributors everybody else uses, never went up on their prices. would appreciate it if you would never set foot in my store again.
For those that don't know me, my name is Kerry Bradley. I am the current G.M. at Hoover Tactical. I have been in charge there for almost 1.5 years. I have busted my butt trying to get rid of our rep as not being people friendly. I try to let everybody that comes in the door now, know that they are family, and my crew knows that people need to be treated that way. All the riff raff that use to be there is gone. I run a friendly store and try offer everyone a good deal. I am a business so I do have to make a profit to stay open. Surprisingly enough, here lately we have been able to beat a lot of online prices. Hopefully we can continue. I will get off my soapbox now and get back to watching tacticalnoob42 on YouTube.I have been A member here a long time and have made a bunch of friends here that I consider family. I very rarely mention the store on here because I don't want to take advantage of the kindness of the people here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
My girlfriend bought me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas and she purchased from BPW. She would not tell how much she paid for it but she did buy some ammo that I know she got screwed on.

Last time I was in the store there was a salesman that wouldnt leave me alone about trading my Benelli for another Benelli.

I still like going there to window shop though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Stories like this make me love Larry's in HSV even more!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Kerry is definitely good people, goes out of the way to make things right.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't expect a brick and mortar store to compete with internet pricing.
View Quote

BPW won't even honor their own internet prices.

Back in November I went in to buy a rifle I saw listed on their website. The price wasn't marked in the store, so to verify I asked if the price was the same in store as it was online. The employee answered affirmative, and when they rang it up they tried to charge $40 more than the online price. I pointed out the discrepancy, and even showed them the online price on my phone. He insisted that the online price was what he was charging me...as if somehow I couldn't read the ticket and see the higher price he listed (before tax). I admit that I probably ate too many crayons as a kid, but I'm not that stupid.

I wasn't impressed, and see no need in going back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Calm down folks.

I think (and may be wrong) that Tim was talking about BPW.

I do know that their prices went up during the panic. I also do not blame them for it. It was a business decision, and during the worst of the panic, you could still get a rifle there (but you would pay for it!).

It was a different business practice than was chosen by HTF.

Such is life, and both stores have their own following.

I have found good deals at both and high prices at both.

Sounds like retail to me.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 for Kerry and his service.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My first post.  Seems a shame to waste it on htf.

I really don't like HTF.  The staff is rude and condescending.   When i walk in a store i don't expect them to kiss my ass but i do expect a courteous knowledgeable staff.   I haven't found that at htf.   I'm a frigging vet from the 101st and the last time i went to htf the clerk lied to my face when i asked him a question about a rifle.

The only good thing about HTF being such pricks is it led me to find 2 great shops in Pelham.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#27]

I really like the store and there is a marked difference in the "attitude" since the change. Speaking of HTF.
The indoor range is top notch as well.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Figure I'll chime in here since I found this thread after I went to both stores today.  I'm new to AL as of 6 months ago so I've been checking out all the local stores somewhat near me in Cullman.  I stopped in HTF today and it's a very nice building but their gun prices did not impress me and I really didn't have any interaction with staff.  Later on I swung through TS Arms and I gotta say it was definitely a different feel.  To me it seems like HTF caters to a certain clientele (not Arfcommers) and TS Arms caters to everyone.  I certainly got the welcome feel from TSA and it just felt more like a family than a business.  I'll be visiting both stores again in the future as time permits because it is a decent drive for me but I certainly would recommend a visit to TSA before HTF to anyone who asks me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
August
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Folks generally don't buy a bunch of mags for a gun when they purchase one. They are not arfcommers.

Most people who buy ammo at the gun store are buying the one box they will load the gun with they just bought and then sit for years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can see selling those $10 mags for $15 or even $18.  Let's say I buy 5 mags at $10 online plus $10 shipping. That's $60.  5 mags at BPW @ $25 each is $125 plus tax.  What about the 45acp tula that's $10 more than at walmart?  22lr at $55 for 325 rnds? $120 for a bucket of Remington golden bullets?

Folks generally don't buy a bunch of mags for a gun when they purchase one. They are not arfcommers.

Most people who buy ammo at the gun store are buying the one box they will load the gun with they just bought and then sit for years.

That may be, but I would rather make money off of high turnover and a broader customer base than count on "that guy".

I've bought several firearms from them, but hate having to negotiate to get a reasonable price.

(Then have them look at you like you dropped a deuce on the counter.)

Like some have said, their prices WERE really reasonable a year or so ago, but haven't dropped back to the range I would consider buying anything at, yet, which is odd.

Especially since Southeast is right down the road.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i wouldn't buy a gun from SE if they were the lat shop in the country.
View Quote

I guess their negative attitudes have not changed from the past? It has been years since I purchased anything from SE and that was only because they were several hundred
cheaper than all the rest of the local competition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe I don't go to Birmingham enough but I've not had a bad experience with HTF.  Maybe I don't give off the right vibe or something but the handful of times I've shopped there I've been satisfied and that goes for the old location and the new.  I do go to Larry's in H'ville more but is only because work has me in town there more often.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never had a problem with HTF(I was actually there today). Their range looks awesome but I have never shot there. I will one day though!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#37]
They used to have great deals on pistols. Then the panic hit and they must've not come down on anything. Last I was in there was well over a year ago and prices were still stupid. They had a Stag AR for $1500.

ETA Talking about BPW as I see the discussion has went to HTF.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#38]
So I'm getting you guys don't care for SE?

I just noted their prices, my experience with them has been limited.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
FYI Larry's just opened up their new store on I565 (about 2 miles from I65) and its awesome. check it out if you are up this way
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't even stop to browse at SE.
View Quote

Pretty much sums up my interaction with SE. My co-workers share similar experiences.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

if obama had a gun shop.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted and filed.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really, Tim from TS Arms? You got proof of that? Never happened. I been there almost the entire time Htf has been in existence. We would get ar's and ak47s in and put them all out on saturdays and let our customers know via Facebook, so that everybody would have a fair chance to get what they could at a fair price. We never went up on our prices because our distributors, which are the same distributors everybody else uses, never went up on their prices. would appreciate it if you would never set foot in my store again.
For those that don't know me, my name is Kerry Bradley. I am the current G.M. at Hoover Tactical. I have been in charge there for almost 1.5 years. I have busted my butt trying to get rid of our rep as not being people friendly. I try to let everybody that comes in the door now, know that they are family, and my crew knows that people need to be treated that way. All the riff raff that use to be there is gone. I run a friendly store and try offer everyone a good deal. I am a business so I do have to make a profit to stay open. Surprisingly enough, here lately we have been able to beat a lot of online prices. Hopefully we can continue. I will get off my soapbox now and get back to watching tacticalnoob42 on YouTube.I have been A member here a long time and have made a bunch of friends here that I consider family. I very rarely mention the store on here because I don't want to take advantage of the kindness of the people here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that you are defending ac action that happened before you arrived ?  Just curious when you started ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally some flurries in McCalla/McAdory area...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#47]
There's a whole lot of construction equipment parked at the sheepdog building location on Deerfoot, hopefully they start building soon.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's a whole lot of construction equipment parked at the sheepdog building location on Deerfoot, hopefully they start building soon.  
View Quote

I think they'll still have a hard time competing with Johnny...

Competition is good for us consumers though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#49]
As for online pricing vs retail pricing at BPW, you should order it on their website at the price you see or want.  Either pay online or just choose "in store pickup".  Then print the invoice or screen and bring it with you.  You can also call the online guys and verify everything and they will let the retail guys know.

The retail guys have no idea what the online prices are.  There has been some confusion in the past over pricing.

BPW is building a new facility sometime this year.  They have 20lbs of crap stuffed in a 5lb bag in the current location.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Never been to BPW but I shop at HT and I like the place , very friendly and helpful to me. If you have not been there lately looks to be growing and adding a lot of new stuff. Only have about 40% of the stuff I ask for most of the time but they are getting better for those who build their own AR.

Bottom Line : I have nothing but good things to say about Hoover Tactical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top