Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 3:24:15 PM EDT
Just bought a new truck. Want to do some dirt road riding. Is there any reason you can't just ride around the WMA/NF (Hollins/Talladega is what I'm thinking since its close) as long as you stay on the roads? Obviously no weapons in the truck since it's hunting season.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of any issues.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. I just wanted to make sure that if it rains one night, and I decide to put a girl in the truck and go cruising, a game warden won't beat me up. I have never been on the WMA despite my hunting club being right on the border. The club has plenty of acreage but it's spread out with a bunch of different roads, lots of gates, dead ends, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm familiar with the Black Warrior WMA.  One of it's rules is that a lawfully carried handgun is legal during hunting season as long as it's not used to take game.  So if you have your CCW, you might to check the WMA rules where you'll be going. The BW WMA rule is #29 and is mentioned several times in the rules/map for that WMA.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm familiar with the Black Warrior WMA.  One of it's rules is that a lawfully carried handgun is legal during hunting season as long as it's not used to take game.  So if you have your CCW, you might to check the WMA rules where you'll be going. The BW WMA rule is #29 and is mentioned several times in the rules/map for that WMA.

Good luck.
View Quote

I do have it, and I did see that mentioned on the Hollins WMA paper as well. If I was stopped and asked I would just say I'm trying to learn the area and the roads a little before I start hunting there (Cause I have considered starting to bow hunt there).
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
ALL WMAs allow CCW in AL - see AL Admin Code 220-2.

You can ride any marked dirt road in a national forest provided the gate is open. If you're close to Talladega, check out 600-1/-2 from 148 in Sylacauga to Cheaha.

I've heard reports that the ranger in Cahaba WMA will run you off but can't vouch for it.

ETA: Bham-jk.com has members all over AL (and some in MS and GA) and will take you no matter what you drive as long as you wheel it. It can be a good source for info on your area and local group rides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top