Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2014 12:50:37 PM EDT
I am going through divorce number two right and now and am need of ideas for things to do around Birmingham. Work and my future ex-wife were most of my life. I could use any tips or ideas on activities, places to meet people, or just really anything to help me rebuild my life again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Hogans bar on 280
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Black Market Bar at the Colonade, they have trivia night I'm sure you could probably hang around asking if they want another person on their team
Bowling Alley down 280 near Target
J Clyde and Blue Monkey on Cobb Lane behind 5 Points
Hop City
World of Beer
Vulcan
UAB Basketball
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, this is ARFCOM -- get out and SHOOT SHIT!!!**

It's all the therapy you'll ever need.  

ETA: **"SHIT" is not code for your ex-wife, just in case that was rattling around in your head.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, this is ARFCOM -- get out and SHOOT SHIT!!!**

It's all the therapy you'll ever need.  

ETA: **"SHIT" is not code for your ex-wife, just in case that was rattling around in your head.
View Quote

Nah, fuck her. She isn't worth destroying my life and I know that somewhere out there is a better woman that is actually deserving to be mother of my children.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Any one of hundreds of churches in the AO.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Age and sex of children?  Might look at boy scouts if you have a son.  Be volunteer work with a good purpose plus good chance to meet single mothers or aunts.  Council headquarters off of liberty parkway be a good place to ask if you are interested.

Several training areas down that way that have shoots pretty regular.  Several good outdoor activities in the parks as well.  Could be good for you alone or with your kids just for some bonding time.  I'm not big on the bar scene because seems it often leads the wrong direction especially if you have children in the equation that are counting on you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
How old are you dude?

What are/were your hobbies?

Are you into physical activity/like to hike or ride bicycles?

There are tons of things to do around here - just point me in a general direction and I may have a hookup for you.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How old are you dude?

There are tons of things to do around here - just point me in a general direction and I may have a hookup for you.

View Quote

31 no kids

Been playing guitar for 20 years, I was in the Army, I love to shoot, cars are awesome. The issue is that I did what she wanted to most of the time so I've kind of forgotten what I actually like.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Age and sex of children?  Might look at boy scouts if you have a son.  Be volunteer work with a good purpose plus good chance to meet single mothers or aunts.  Council headquarters off of liberty parkway be a good place to ask if you are interested.

Several training areas down that way that have shoots pretty regular.  Several good outdoor activities in the parks as well.  Could be good for you alone or with your kids just for some bonding time.  I'm not big on the bar scene because seems it often leads the wrong direction especially if you have children in the equation that are counting on you.
View Quote

I meant that as "be the mother of my as yet unborn children." sorry, I could have been more clear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Being that I'm college educated and I happened to pass a sociology course named "Mate Selection" with a C+....... Let me help you out with some rough statistics.  Like 70 something percent of people meet they're spouse through work.  Not necessarily someone you work with.  Ie.  the mail lady that delivers mail to your work, the sister of the guy you work with, etc..  The next highest percentage for meeting your mate was through friends.  Then all the other usually like church, bars, etc. doctor that treats your negligent discharge wound, etc..

My advice:
- make friends
- find ways to do activities that you like that put you in better social situations.  
- go on trips with friends
- get out of your comfort zone and do the things that you couldn't 't do before.
- travel before you have kids
- get outdoors
- get in shape
- get involved in activities with the community
- sports
- enjoy life

Disclaimer:  I'm an idiot
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Being that I'm college educated and I happened to pass a sociology course named "Mate Selection" with a C+....... Let me help you out with some rough statistics.  Like 70 something percent of people meet they're spouse through work.  Not necessarily someone you work with.  Ie.  the mail lady that delivers mail to your work, the sister of the guy you work with, etc..  The next highest percentage for meeting your mate was through friends.  Then all the other usually like church, bars, etc. doctor that treats your negligent discharge wound, etc..

My advice:
- make friends
- find ways to do activities that you like that put you in better social situations.  
- go on trips with friends
- get out of your comfort zone and do the things that you couldn't 't do before.
- travel before you have kids
- get outdoors
- get in shape
- get involved in activities with the community
- sports
- enjoy life

Disclaimer:  I'm an idiot
View Quote

Good advice and I will take it to heart but meeting women at work is no go. I am the assistant manager of a construction company and there are TWO women work that for us. One is ugly as fuck the other one is 18 years older than me and both are married and have kids.Besides the ethical considerations of dating a subordinate I would never chase a married woman. Despite the fact I am about to be divorced I always considered marriage something that is supposed to be forever and that may fuck be upon you for interfering with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Come see me at Hoover Tactical.

Either the end of next month or we can schedule something, I usually can be found on the range with some manner of full auto.

Holler at me and we'll go shoot.

What is your line of work?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Come see me at Hoover Tactical.

Either the end of next month or we can schedule something, I usually can be found on the range with some manner of full auto.

Holler at me and we'll go shoot.

What is your line of work?
View Quote

Don't want to say exactly which section of the industry I work on here. If there is a lurker that works for me telling this information would pretty much out who I am. What days next month do you expect to be up at HTF? I love me some NFA stuff, even if I am just watching.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

31 no kids

Been playing guitar for 20 years, I was in the Army, I love to shoot, cars are awesome. The issue is that I did what she wanted to most of the time so I've kind of forgotten what I actually like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you dude?

31 no kids

Notso would definitely be a big help at the range.  Heck, most of the members here would probably love to get together and throw some lead downrange with you.

Barber Motorsports is the mecca for motorsports in the area, right behind that is little Talledega.  There are tons of car clubs here all you need to do is express interest in which one.

Do you like to ride bicycles? we have a really strong mountain and road community.  BUMP is our local trail team and does a lot of rides state-wide.

Oak Mountain, Sipsey and Talladega national forest are huge draws in the area.  If you are into hiking there are a lot of cool people to hang with.

If you love motorcycles I can direct you back to Barber Motorsports park.  If you've never been you should go as it is one of the world's finest (and largest) motorcycle and special car displays.

There are a chunk of social clubs as well.  Everything you can imagine.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
It is not everybody's thing, and certainly not everybody who enjoys firearms, but consider competitive shooting.

We are blessed in this area with mulitple USPSA, IDPA, SASS, and Steel Challenge clubs.   If you get into any one of those you will find a whole community of people who become friends, and it will consume a lot of time and money, but if you like it you will grow to love it.  Pick any of those three sports and you will be in a match nearly every weekend or preparing for a match (practice, reloading, etc.) during the week.

There are too many shooters who never really give it a try because they don't think they are any good or competitive, but that is missing the point of the shooting sports entirely.  All those sports are ultimately about having fun with like minded people, nobody around here is going to make a living at it.

Plus depending on your politics, it is a great place to hang out if you don't like being around liberals much, which I don't.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
MeetUp.com . Join and go do something. Hike, bike, dinner what ever. You have to get out of the house to meet people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Join a Gym.

Even if you don't meet "someone" there, it will be an ego boost, make you more "suitable", get you hanging out, making friends, and endorphins are natures antidepressant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top