Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 10:21:08 PM EDT
I am interviewing for a Detention Officer job next week and was wondering if there's anybody here who works for the MCSD and could shed some light on the department, particularly in regards to the interview process and what it takes to get hired. If there is anybody here who works there and wouldn't mind giving me some advice/insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. In the interest of discretion, feel free to IM me, if you're so inclined. Thanks for any help you can offer. (I've been out of work for a little over 5 months and really, really need to land this job.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in the academy with a deputy from Madison Co, I know it was only one guy but he seemed pretty squared away, so they seem to have pretty good standards. I can't tell you anything other than they pay well from what he told me, and if you become a road deputy they send their guys to the Northeast Alabama LE Academy at Ft McClellan (which is cake).
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
MCSO's pay is horrendous compared to other agencies in the area.  Detention Officers start out at $12.51 an hour, deputies aren't paid much more.  Compare that to Limestone County who starts their CO's at over $14 an hour and deputies $16+.  Other information that I have been given (that I won't share) by current and former employees of MCSO makes me say there is no way in HELL I would work there.

ETA:  I was full-time with Limestone County (patrol & SRO) for 10 years and with Athens PD for just under 2.  Currently a certified reserve in Limestone Co.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply.

The interview went ok, but I'm not holding my breath. If I get an offer, great. If not, so be it.

One thing that blew my mind at the interview was how little effort most of the other interviewees put into their appearance. One chick showed up for it wearing shorts and boat shoes, sans socks. It definitely wasn't the most professional way to appear for a job interview. The other two guys who interviewed when I did looked like they just went to Goodwill and bought the first pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and tie they could find. Neither of them really gave off a vibe that they knew how to dress themselves professionally. If that's how they show up for an interview, I can only imagine how little they'll care about the appearance of their uniforms. Me, I showed up in a black suit, white shirt, and predominantly blue tie, with black belt, socks and shoes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

The interview went ok, but I'm not holding my breath. If I get an offer, great. If not, so be it.

One thing that blew my mind at the interview was how little effort most of the other interviewees put into their appearance. One chick showed up for it wearing shorts and boat shoes, sans socks. It definitely wasn't the most professional way to appear for a job interview. The other two guys who interviewed when I did looked like they just went to Goodwill and bought the first pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and tie they could find. Neither of them really gave off a vibe that they knew how to dress themselves professionally. If that's how they show up for an interview, I can only imagine how little they'll care about the appearance of their uniforms. Me, I showed up in a black suit, white shirt, and predominantly blue tie, with black belt, socks and shoes.
View Quote

This is the South, son. You may a just dunn did yerself in bein' all professional an everythin'.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is the South, son. You may a just dunn did yerself in bein' all professional an everythin'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

lol

It's not just the South, trust me. My Dad is a retired Deputy Sheriff in Southern Maine. Prior to the interview, I called him for advice. He told me that when he went in for his interview, in 1987, he wore a plaid shirt and blue jeans-and got the job. He also told me of a former co-worker who went before an oral promotion board and walked in with a cup of coffee in one hand, a lit cigarette in the other, sat down, and said "Ok, let's get this done." Dad says he didn't get the promotion, however.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

View Quote

Yup, that seems like a par for the course.  It's an agency serving a rural area.  Just a bunch of good ole boys and gals.  Not saying they wouldn't make decent officers/deputies, they just don't put as much scrutiny into their appearance.  MCSO has a few squared away guys.  You sound like you're pretty squared away.  Apply to Huntsville PD, Madison PD, Athens PD, etc. if being a certified LEO is your ultimate goal.  Athens has a few slots open from what I'm told.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup, that seems like a par for the course.  It's an agency serving a rural area.  Just a bunch of good ole boys and gals.  Not saying they wouldn't make decent officers/deputies, they just don't put as much scrutiny into their appearance.  MCSO has a few squared away guys.  You sound like you're pretty squared away.  Apply to Huntsville PD, Madison PD, Athens PD, etc. if being a certified LEO is your ultimate goal.  Athens has a few slots open from what I'm told.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. I spent eight years in Army combat arms MOS's (11B and 13F), rising to the rank of SGT before being medically discharged. If I weren't somewhat squared away, I'd be plenty embarrassed. During my Army career, I went before enough promotion boards and Soldier/NCO of the Month/Quarter boards to know how to present myself for an oral board like the one last week.

I'm too old and worn down, physically, from playing GI Joe to be a street cop. Hell, I'll be lucky to survive the 7 weeks of MCSO corrections academy.

I did get a call yesterday, asking me if I was interested in a second interview. I didn't hear the phone ring, though, so I called the SGT back and am now waiting on her to return the call so we can schedule it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I wish you the best of luck, Sir.  Thank you for your service in the Army!  Also, if you live in or can relocate to Limestone County, the sheriff pays corrections officers well and is always hiring due to guys being rolled into patrol or leaving for other agencies to take patrol slots.  The only training required for LCSO corrections is the two-week state jail management course.  They should have several more slots come open in the not too distant future due to a jail expansion.  Something to keep in mind.  Again, good luck to you!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
MCSO's pay is horrendous compared to other agencies in the area.  Detention Officers start out at $12.51 an hour, deputies aren't paid much more.  Compare that to Limestone County who starts their CO's at over $14 an hour and deputies $16+.  Other information that I have been given (that I won't share) by current and former employees of MCSO makes me say there is no way in HELL I would work there.

ETA:  I was full-time with Limestone County (patrol & SRO) for 10 years and with Athens PD for just under 2.  Currently a certified reserve in Limestone Co.
View Quote

From a Limestone County resident, thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, not only did I land the job, I'll graduate from the Sheriff's Academy tomorrow morning (12 DEC).

I did well enough on the weekly and final exams that I'm getting the class academic achievement award. (Out of 7 exams, my average was 98.18%.) I started the class with a lot of trepidation regarding the physical training, as I am a disabled vet with asthma and arthritis. But, I actually did surprisingly well, and survived a 5.13 mile run. My left ankle has been in pain for weeks, but I've been taking enough ibuprofen to not feel it too badly.

Getting Tased isn't much fun, I'll tell you that much. It caused my back to hurt for about a week or so. It was sore enough that I came very close to calling it quits. But, I took some ibuprofen, coated myself in Ben-Gay, and drove the fuck on. The frigging OC was pretty bad, too. Most people say they'd rather be Tased again before getting sprayed again. I'm not so sure I agree with them, however, especially as much as the Taser hurt my back. The effects of the OC were pretty much gone that night, except for some minor eye irritation the following day. (Driving home the afternoon we were sprayed, I must have appeared to be driving drunk, as I could barely keep my eyes open.)

As an aside, I randomly ran into TacticalMustang this afternoon, at Larry's. I was in uniform and he struck up a conversation. It didn't take long for me to put two and two together and realize who he was. If you guys haven't had the chance to meet him, or at least chat with him, it's your loss. He strikes me as a genuinely good dude, who offered me a considerable bit of advice, both in this thread and in IM's we exchanged before I started the academy. TM, it was really great to meet you and put a face to an online persona. Thanks for your advice and shared wisdom.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, not only did I land the job, I'll graduate from the Sheriff's Academy tomorrow morning (12 DEC).

View Quote

Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment, especially with the pain you had to endure to finish.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment, especially with the pain you had to endure to finish.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto!

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
A little late, but thank you six-T-seven!  It's nice to know that we are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
... quote fail
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did well enough on the weekly and final exams that I'm getting the class academic achievement award. (Out of 7 exams, my average was 98.18%.) I started the class with a lot of trepidation regarding the physical training, as I am a disabled vet with asthma and arthritis. But, I actually did surprisingly well, and survived a 5.13 mile run. My left ankle has been in pain for weeks, but I've been taking enough ibuprofen to not feel it too badly.

Getting Tased isn't much fun, I'll tell you that much. It caused my back to hurt for about a week or so. It was sore enough that I came very close to calling it quits. But, I took some ibuprofen, coated myself in Ben-Gay, and drove the fuck on. The frigging OC was pretty bad, too. Most people say they'd rather be Tased again before getting sprayed again. I'm not so sure I agree with them, however, especially as much as the Taser hurt my back. The effects of the OC were pretty much gone that night, except for some minor eye irritation the following day. (Driving home the afternoon we were sprayed, I must have appeared to be driving drunk, as I could barely keep my eyes open.)

As an aside, I randomly ran into TacticalMustang this afternoon, at Larry's. I was in uniform and he struck up a conversation. It didn't take long for me to put two and two together and realize who he was. If you guys haven't had the chance to meet him, or at least chat with him, it's your loss. He strikes me as a genuinely good dude, who offered me a considerable bit of advice, both in this thread and in IM's we exchanged before I started the academy. TM, it was really great to meet you and put a face to an online persona. Thanks for your advice and shared wisdom.
View Quote

I appreciate it.  It was great meeting you.  We need to get together and send some lead downrange.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top