Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 3:13:21 PM EDT
Alabama HTF, I will be traveling with some friends to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham next month as part of our yearly college ball trip. We took a vote and decided this year we wanted to see Bryant Denny Stadium and the Crimson Tide roll over Texas A&M. Will be visiting between October 17-19 with the majority of time on Friday and Saturday in Tusacaloosa and then Sunday spent visiting Birmingham.

Suggestions on things to see, places to visit, places to eat, drink, tailgate would all be appreciated. Birmingham points of interest and restaurant suggestions also welcome.

Additionally, we have yet to buy game tickets. Been waiting to see if prices dropped a little bit but no such luck. Any local resellers or options that beat the online prices or better off buying now? I need to aquite at least 2 for myself, possibly more.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alabama HTF, I will be traveling with some friends to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham next month as part of our yearly college ball trip. We took a vote and decided this year we wanted to see Bryant Denny Stadium and the Crimson Tide roll over Texas A&M. Will be visiting between October 17-19 with the majority of time on Friday and Saturday in Tusacaloosa and then Sunday spent visiting Birmingham.

Suggestions on things to see, places to visit, places to eat, drink, tailgate would all be appreciated. Birmingham points of interest and restaurant suggestions also welcome.

Additionally, we have yet to buy game tickets. Been waiting to see if prices dropped a little bit but no such luck. Any local resellers or options that beat the online prices or better off buying now? I need to aquite at least 2 for myself, possibly more.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!
View Quote

Buy them now. BD sells out for every game.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Holler at me when you hit Birmingham if you want to go shoot machineguns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the Bryant Museum, eat barbecue.  In Bham go to Barber Motorsports Museum, best motorcycle collection in the world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
go the pancake house for breakfast.

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit the Bryant Museum in Tuscaloosa and go to the original Dreamland Barbeque (on Jug Factory Road).
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
If you get tired of touristy stuff and want a good casual italian meal, Salvatore's on 280 is GTG.  Itsabout 2 miles across the highway from the Summit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
You could go see Vulcan, the world's tallest cast iron statue.  Barber would be interesting.  The Ridge or Mudtown in Hoover for food, guy that owns both is a shooter, signs up everywhere promoting open carry, judicious marksmanship, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you get tired of touristy stuff and want a good casual italian meal, Salvatore's on 280 is GTG.  Itsabout 2 miles across the highway from the Summit.
View Quote

+ 1 Now you've done it, I'm hungry. I live 3-1/2 hrs away, but go there every time I am in B'Ham.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

+ 1 Now you've done it, I'm hungry. I live 3-1/2 hrs away, but go there every time I am in B'Ham. Best pizza and Calzones anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the best luck with getting my tickets from scalpers at the game, but if you don't want to risk it, I understand that.  I wait til just before kickoff, but you'll miss some of the stadium experience.  I'm still on the waiting list from several years back.  What prices are you seeing?

It's a huge game, tickets will be expensive either way.  Bryant Denny is a special place, you'll be glad you made the trip.  

Dreamland bbq is my favorite in tuscaloosa, some prefer archibalds.  Buffalo phils has awesome wings.  The Bryant museum is nice, you can ask the folks there what else to check out on campus, they'll have maps, etc.

Tailgating before the game is awesome, wear something Crimson and tell whoever you meet that you are from out of town, and this is your first game.  You'll eat good and make several new friends.  I'd show up a couple hours after daylight to take it all in.

I wish I was going with you, I'd give you a tour.  .
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone, trip isnt too far off at this point. Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions, especially the BBQ. Ended up getting tickets online for around $150 each. Should have pulled trigger 2 months ago when I saw similiar ones going for $130's but oh well. Very excited for the trip and game. Roll tide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're into strip clubs, Mike's Crossroads just west of downtown Birmingham is GTG.  

I'm kidding.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the best luck with getting my tickets from scalpers at the game, but if you don't want to risk it, I understand that.  I wait til just before kickoff, but you'll miss some of the stadium experience.  I'm still on the waiting list from several years back.  What prices are you seeing?

It's a huge game, tickets will be expensive either way.  Bryant Denny is a special place, you'll be glad you made the trip.  

Dreamland bbq is my favorite in tuscaloosa, some prefer archibalds.  Buffalo phils has awesome wings.  The Bryant museum is nice, you can ask the folks there what else to check out on campus, they'll have maps, etc.

Tailgating before the game is awesome, wear something Crimson and tell whoever you meet that you are from out of town, and this is your first game.  You'll eat good and make several new friends.  I'd show up a couple hours after daylight to take it all in.

I wish I was going with you, I'd give you a tour.  .
View Quote

Everything he says. Yes.

Get tickets from scalpers or try craigslist right now for a more secure spot. They don't give em away either.

In Bham, you could check out Barbers Museum. Vulcan, etc. like some have noted. I'd stop in Hoover Tactical just for the experience, it's a huge gun shop in an old grocery store.

If you want some drinks, hit up Dave's in southside. Cool Irish bar with a Cheers feel to it. Tin Roof in Lakeview for a cool party place with cornhole, giant jenga, food, and lots of chicks, etc. Pale Eddies on the North Side is nice relaxing place. Next door is Das Haus a neat German bar with food and lots of high gravity brews, I think they will be having the witches ball that Saturday the 20th. It's a hell of a costume party.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, I'd avoid Hoover Tactical.  If you're not LE, you'll experience horrible service if anybody bothers to check on you at all.

Bars in Birmingham to visit, Hop City, World of Beer, Black Market Bar, and Dave's.

If you find a local in Birmingham that knows where the Garage is, go to it.  Also, the J. Clyde would be a must visit, you could stop by the Blue Monkey also, it is right beside J. Clyde.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holler at me when you hit Birmingham if you want to go shoot machineguns.
View Quote

I have to say notso's toys are awesome!!!!! I've seen quite a few of them..................
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honestly, I'd avoid Hoover Tactical.  If you're not LE, you'll experience horrible service if anybody bothers to check on you at all.

Bars in Birmingham to visit, Hop City, World of Beer, Black Market Bar, and Dave's.

If you find a local in Birmingham that knows where the Garage is, go to it.  Also, the J. Clyde would be a must visit, you could stop by the Blue Monkey also, it is right beside J. Clyde.
View Quote

HeyCoach,
I have to argue with you on Hoover Tactical, it's not about LE anymore. It's about all shooters. They do a fun shoot once a month on a Thursday hosted by Lost Wildcat. The New MGR (PapaSmurf), is pretty awesome and if you haven't been there in a while you can find notso there too. There's a better feeling when you walk through the door and I have to give PapaSmurf some big props on changing things to where the everyday Joe & Mrs. can go in, buy a gun or shoot on the Range there. I would say that if you haven't been there in awhile, you should check them out and see for yourself. Then if you're still against them, then that is up to you.

preppergurl
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be up there this weekend. Good advice so far.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I am visiting in Birmingham this week also.  I have family living on 119, between 280 and I-65.  I come up often, and always hit Birmingham Pistol Wholesale, Hoover Tac, Marks, Brocks Gap range, and a host of favorite restaurants, such as Do Di Yos, the fish market, Surin 280 and others.
For some reason, I always wind up buying a rifle at Academy Sports on 280.  This trip, it was a CVA single shot in .243, for $169.  
I love B'ham, and come up as often as I can.  Much different than my home in Gainesville Fl, and Miami.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice. We should have an Arf out of town meet somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View Quote

Double Tap has a bunkhouse up and running.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is beer allowed after all firearms have been checked?  

Do y'all have a grill?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
As long as it stays off the range and operations are shut down, I think so. I can check tomorrow when I am out there with the owners.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Stock up on beer first, then do your shootin'.

That's how the big boys do it.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stock up on beer first, then do your shootin'.

That's how the big boys do it.

View Quote

Dibs on the turret.  Who's driving?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bunkhouse is a pretty slick setup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, how was it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top