Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2014 12:15:33 AM EDT
I don't subscribe to the Gleam and I don't chit chat politics with my neighbors, so I'm pretty much clueless on who I'll cast my vote for.

Walls or Ellis, what are the pros and cons to each candidate?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't subscribe to the Gleam and I don't chit chat politics with my neighbors, so I'm pretty much clueless on who I'll cast my vote for.

Walls or Ellis, what are the pros and cons to each candidate?
View Quote

Walls is a Democrat, which always struck me as unusual down here, but...

The only interaction I've had with him personally was at the local Harvest Festival in Boaz. Aside from that, the only interaction I've had with his office was to get my CCW. Never an issue. Walked in, walked out and had my 5-year photo CCW in under five (5) minutes for $60.

Neither of those are endorsements, but I am unfortunately ignorant on his positions. I did see that he was mildly opposed to SB286, which makes me suspicious. However, I know nothing of Chuck Ellis, save for the fact that he's going to lose. Last expenditure report I saw had Walls outspending Ellis by over $100k to under $10k respectively.

Perhaps that's telling as well, as Walls has a big war chest for a lowly Alabama County Sheriff. Perhaps some of the LEO's here will chime in -- anonymously, of course.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would vote for Chuck but I might be biased.  He's a Trooper.        

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone had NFA issues with Walls?  Anyone ask Ellis how he feels about SB286 and NFA?  I'm going the trust route but would still like to know.  

And like TheHorta, my only interaction with the MCSD has been picking up my pistol permit, which wasn't an issue even with a DUI arrest - charges later dropped -  over 10 years ago in a different state
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd probably go with MJ on that alone. Walls held a few "town meetings" after SB286 became a reality. I didn't go to any of them (now I wish I had), but a neighbor did. He said he got the distinct impression that Walls wasn't happy with the removal of his "may issue" authority and made a couple of remarks along the lines of how he's going to keep everyone safe from the evil-doers that would now be able to carry guns because he can't do anything about it.

Again, this is 100% heresay / third-party info. However, the following is not:

From the Arab Tribune News:

"Six similar bills before the legislature that would loosen gun carry controls have law enforcement groups across the state up in arms. Marshall County Sheriff Scott Walls said they have him concerned, too.

One of the bills, SB 286, would allow a permitted gun holder to openly carry a weapon any place with public access, including schools, hospitals, courthouses and private businesses, Walls said.

"You could sit down on the front pew at church with a shotgun," he said.

If someone came to your yard sale with a gun, you could not ask the person to leave until a law officer arrived, Walls said. And, he added, people could carry weapons to demonstrations and protests.

"They are heated anyway and standing toe to toe," in a situation like that, he said. "You can't protect people if you can't control these kind of things."

Walls said it's a misconception that Alabama is an open-carry state when it comes to guns.

"It's not an open-carry state, there's just no law that says you can't," he said
."

The more I dig, the more concerns come up about the incumbent. That's a lot of misinformation and fear-mongering he's spreading there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd probably go with MJ on that alone. Walls held a few "town meetings" after SB286 became a reality. I didn't go to any of them (now I wish I had), but a neighbor did. He said he got the distinct impression that Walls wasn't happy with the removal of his "may issue" authority and made a couple of remarks along the lines of how he's going to keep everyone safe from the evil-doers that would now be able to carry guns because he can't do anything about it.

"Six similar bills before the legislature that would loosen gun carry controls have law enforcement groups across the state up in arms. Marshall County Sheriff Scott Walls said they have him concerned, too.

One of the bills, SB 286, would allow a permitted gun holder to openly carry a weapon any place with public access, including schools, hospitals, courthouses and private businesses, Walls said.

If someone came to your yard sale with a gun, you could not ask the person to leave until a law officer arrived, Walls said. And, he added, people could carry weapons to demonstrations and protests.

"They are heated anyway and standing toe to toe," in a situation like that, he said. "You can't protect people if you can't control these kind of things."

Walls said it's a misconception that Alabama is an open-carry state when it comes to guns.

"It's not an open-carry state, there's just no law that says you can't," he said
."

The more I dig, the more concerns come up about the incumbent. That's a lot of misinformation and fear-mongering he's spreading there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

."

Yeah, that guy's a moron.  The problem is that he probably actually believes the things he says are true.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]

OK, I don't know about NFA items yet but as for the other stuff...

Believes in shall issue.

No problem with open carry.

Plans to have some deputies certified through FBI as firearms instructors and make them available to help anyone that wants as long as are legally allowed to possess.

Working on other stuff.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, I don't know about NFA items yet but as for the other stuff...

Believes in shall issue.

No problem with open carry.

Plans to have some deputies certified through FBI as firearms instructors and make them available to help anyone that wants as long as are legally allowed to possess.

Working on other stuff.
View Quote

Nice job, MJ!

Guess I should get off my ass and support CHUCK!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear signs are available.  Mutual buddy said he believes he is a full supporter of NFA toys and such.  That as long as no reason you shouldn't then he is all for you having it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hear signs are available.  Mutual buddy said he believes he is a full supporter of NFA toys and such.  That as long as no reason you shouldn't then he is all for you having it.
View Quote

Where can I get a sign?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing I saw that was a little bit interesting,at least to me, was Walls must have had some deal with Wigley to replace her large signs that were up for the Superintendent election with his after her election was over.  As far as signage goes, he already has the prime real estate camped out from her, they just changed out signs from Wigley to Walls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Where can I get a sign?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where can I get a sign?
Working on trying to figure that out for you.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where can I get a sign?

You can support Chuck at his website, here:

http://www.chuck4sheriff.com/index.php/store
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
After talking with him some, based on a single issue vote, I would support him.  However his other views are also good. I just know we tend to be single issue voters sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It really is times like these that make me miss the South and make me glad I'm back home. No joke.

WHNT - Police report claims Marshall County deputies destroyed political sign of sheriff’s opponent
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone get me some damn Chuck Ellis signs. I'll find homes for every one of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Someone get me some damn Chuck Ellis signs. I'll find homes for every one of them.
View Quote

308 Columbus St

Albertville

or

County Republican Club HQ

1322 Gunter Ave

Guntersville

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

308 Columbus St
Albertville

or

1322 Gunter Ave
Guntersville
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

308 Columbus St
Albertville

or

1322 Gunter Ave
Guntersville

Thanks, brother!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Not even going to try to embed but here is an interview he did last night.  All I have done is listen to the intro but figured some of you may be interested or might want to share it with others.           http://youtu.be/RbLJLp3p7wg

Think my link may be broken.  Search youtube for Chuck Ellis sheriff.   Should be the first video that pops up.  Original link I had didn't work for me either.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Here it be:

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Looked at the sample ballot for Marshall County, looks like the only 2 real races are for Sherrif and for AL State Rep (Ainsworth/McLaughlin).  

A month and a half or so ago I got to meet Will Ainsworth and his family, they all seem like very genuine people and even though his focus was on jobs and education he did mention that he was a strong supporter of the RKBA.  

I think the consensus from the discussion in this thread was that Ellis would be a better sheriff for Marshall Co in respect to the 2A and state laws that reinforce the RKBA than Walls is.  

Anyways, vote for whoever you feel the best candidate for you is, and Ainsworth and Ellis meet that criteria for me and my family.  

VOTE!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Scott Walls Re-elected.  

55%-44%
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe next time
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe next time
View Quote

It was closer than I expected, which is encouraging. A few months ago I had seen the financial disclosures of both and Walls literally had 100-TIMES the cash-on-hand for his campaign.

It made me wonder why someone would spend more on re-election than the job pays, but I guess that's true for just about every political office these days -- but for Sheriff of Marshall County???  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to the Academy with a Marshall County Deputy.
The pay is/was horrible. The guy had to pay his own way through the academy.
Cool hat though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top