Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
I'd been to the store recently and thought they had a nice-- but expensive selection of guns/accessories.  I was very impressed by their indoor range.  Although not very big, there were a lot of bays open.  Does anyone have a membership out there... is it a good deal for the cost?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You can drive 15 minutes and go to Swan Creek for the cost of a $6 fishing license.  Outdoor and 100 yd ranges.  Plus you won't be filling the pockets of the pricks at last resort.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can drive 15 minutes and go to Swan Creek for the cost of a $6 fishing license.  Outdoor and 100 yd ranges.  Plus you won't be filling the pockets of the pricks at last resort.  
View Quote

Although I do agree with you on Swan Creek, as I like shooting longer ranges and being able to go anytime I want to without scheduling an appointment.

I will disagree and say I have been to Last Resort numerous times and bought a good bit and always had a pleasant experience and gotten help on items when I asked.

I wouldn't down Last Resort one bit, in my book they are good people and being local small business owners I like to support them when I can.

Also, one last comment. Being a savvy internet shopper I know good prices and over priced items when I see it and every time they always had decent prices whenever Ive been in. No local brick and mortar store can compete with the cut throat internet prices we see today, but Last Resort came close.

I try to give them my business if/when they have something in stock I may need. Same goes for Larrys Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville.

***Edited Spelling***
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Russell and Andy, the owners of last resort, are good people. They are really on the cutting edge of something in the shooting industry, FUN. They are offering all kinds of things that swan creek can't offer. They have a killer indoor 3gun match every month. They also have a ccw class that takes place in a simulated house they erect inside their range. They are both British and say words that I don't quite understand, but they are good for our industry.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I went there once a year or two ago when it was crazy.  Their prices were more than 20% above Larry's.  The guy told me there was a military discount though, I asked how much it was and he said it was already factored into the price.  So I said "everybody gets the military discount?"  and he said no.  So I asked if they raised the marked prices for non-military and he said no.  He wasn't very smart.  During this exchange, another guy behind the counter remarked that he loves this business because he can charge insanely high prices and people will pay it.  

I was looking for a Sig, they had it at $1050 (msrp) and larry's had it for $860.  This was during the height of the craze.  I fondled it at Larry's for a minute or two and the guy told me $800 without me even asking.  So I bought it at Larry's obviously.  Last resort refused to negotiate because the guy said somebody will pay full price for it.  

A friend had a gun sent to them for transfer after they told him they would charge $20.  He went to get the gun and they charged him $45.  He had no choice but to pay since re-shipping would cost more.  

Frankly, they prey on madison people with more money than brains and/or people who don't know that Larry's exists.  Maybe they've changed, but I haven't been there in over a year.

And Larry's will beat their prices and internet prices all day long by a large margin.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I was impressed by the range and the amount of quality accessories they had in the store. I was unimpressed with some of the herp/derp I overheard the salesmen giving a couple and also the firearms prices.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I went there once a year or two ago when it was crazy.  Their prices were more than 20% above Larry's. <snip>
View Quote

That sounds like the Madison Guns business model.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have bought a few things at Last Resort, but I try to keep my business with Athens Guns.  My last purchase was a Glock 23.  I priced them at Last Resort and then at Athens Guns.  Athens Guns came in almost $50 cheaper when all said and done.  Plus, the owner of Athens Guns is a former shift partner and good friend of mine.  So, he gets my business when I am not buying on the interwebs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a membership to the range that I got during their pre-opening special, so it is a great value for me.  Some of the guys there are pretty cool and the range is a couple miles form my house, so it is very convenient.  I've picked up a few small odds and ends there, but several other local places will beat their prices on guns, so I don't think I'll ever buy a gun from them unless they choose to start discounting their prices.  The range is top-notch though...way better than Larry's indoor range and open until 9pm, which is nice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have bought a few things at Last Resort, but I try to keep my business with Athens Guns.  My last purchase was a Glock 23.  I priced them at Last Resort and then at Athens Guns.  Athens Guns came in almost $50 cheaper when all said and done.  Plus, the owner of Athens Guns is a former shift partner and good friend of mine.  So, he gets my business when I am not buying on the interwebs.
View Quote

Athens Guns also does free transfers.  Great guys, and while their inventory is generally very limited they have great prices and will order whatever you want.  If I lived closer I'd stop by more often.

I went in Last Resort one time a few months ago.  Nice place, but silly prices.  I was going to buy some ammo while I was in there, and I couldn't get anyone to pay enough attention to me to take my money.  I'll keep going to Larry's.  Even when it's so crowded you can barely walk through the store, I can usually get someone to help me eventually.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm torn on the place. I've meet the owner and most of the guys at the original store and they were all great guys. I really want to support small businesses, but I'm not paying a premium price to do so.

There was a chic there that pissed me off a while back. I sent a lower to them to do the transfer during the height of the scare. The seller took longer than expected to deliver it, so I was watching tracking closely when it finally shipped. I wanted to inspect it ASAP.

I called mid day to confirm it was there. I was told a package arrived that it'd be some time before they went through the packages and record the lower in their logs. She said she'd call when they did. You've probably read they charge a premium transfer price of $45.

If I'm paying a premium, you're going to do this transfer at my convenience, not yours.

I showed up 20 minutes after making the call. The Jarhead there was cool, went opened the packaged, recorded the serial number, and we went through the transfer process. During this the chic pipes off I know I just talked to you and told you that it wasn't ready yet. To which I smiled and continued my conversation with the guy.

Some people shouldn't work with the public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top