Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2014 10:16:56 PM EDT
EDIT
It looks like I'm getting the job and want to buy a home with about 10 acres if not more. I have been looking around and haven't found much with in 30 minutes from the center of town. Any Suggestions?

Tuscaloosa AL .. what should I know

Going for a job interview and wanted to know about the area and gun laws.

I'm from FL and very conservative I also own NFA weapons. I have a FL CWP.

If I do move to AL my plan is to get a small 5 to 20 acre ranch type property. I have about 200k budget for the house/land. I know it isn't much but if I can find a small place with some land I'd be a very happy man.
It will be me, my gal and 3 kids. If it matters I'm a 3x OEF Vet.

Suggestions?

EDIT I'll be drilling with a reserve unit there. But can also cross train and  drill with other units in the area due to my MOS. If anyone knows of any good Army, Navy, AF, Marine or CG units let me know.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Get ready for all the 'Roll Tide' tards.

Seriously, it gets nauseating at times living here just because of them.

Only bad thing about living here.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The wife and I are moving now from Atlanta to just north of Birmingham to the Cullman area. The wife is originally from Birmingham and to be honest Alabama is great place to live from my perspective. Atlanta is a true rat race and there is no comparison in quality of life.

Gun laws all and all good!  Check out the NRA summary here: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/alabama.aspx I'm a NFA owner as well so you are good there. We were able to get our CWP in just minutes after visiting the sheriff's office once we transferred residency (DL etc....)

Great local BBQ as well in the area. If you are not a college football fan then you could get a little annoyed with the fans as stated above.

We own property and for your budget you should be able to find something in the outlying areas of Tuscaloosa.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
blah, never mind
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get ready for all the 'Roll Tide' tards.

Seriously, it gets nauseating at times living here just because of them.

Only bad thing about living here.

http://3putt.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/roll-tide.jpg

View Quote

Now that's funny!

Is that one of their linemen?!

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The wife and I are moving now from Atlanta to just north of Birmingham to the Cullman area. The wife is originally from Birmingham and to be honest Alabama is great place to live from my perspective. Atlanta is a true rat race and there is no comparison in quality of life.

Gun laws all and all good!  Check out the NRA summary here: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/alabama.aspx I'm a NFA owner as well so you are good there. We were able to get our CWP in just minutes after visiting the sheriff's office once we transferred residency (DL etc....)

Great local BBQ as well in the area. If you are not a college football fan then you could get a little annoyed with the fans as stated above.

We own property and for your budget you should be able to find something in the outlying areas of Tuscaloosa.
View Quote

I may keep my FL residency since I own a house there. Plus, the military has it as my HOR.
I do not want to live in the city. I want a place to drive my truck, ATVs and shoot.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a good website that should help you determine what type of homes are in your price range...we used this website when we moved to the Mccalla area.  Click on "More search options" button and scroll down to "Acreage" and put in what you want...

http://www.liveinalabama.com/(S(rmqdi10x1awn1b441h4d5cmf))/propertySearch.aspx?ResetSearch=True
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a good website that should help you determine what type of homes are in your price range...we used this website when we moved to the Mccalla area.  Click on "More search options" button and scroll down to "Acreage" and put in what you want...

http://www.liveinalabama.com/(S(rmqdi10x1awn1b441h4d5cmf))/propertySearch.aspx?ResetSearch=True
View Quote

Found some nice homes with 10+ acres. If I do accept the position I think I'll like it up there. We like the outdoors and hope to move near conservative like minded people.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't there a sheriff there that wouldn't sign off on NFA stuff?  I know he's gone bow, but how about the current sheriff there?

FYI that is not typical for our state.
Additionally hunting with suppressors will be legal for the new hunting season!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a sheriff there that wouldn't sign off on NFA stuff?  I know he's gone bow, but how about the current sheriff there?

FYI that is not typical for our state.
Additionally hunting with suppressors will be legal for the new hunting season!
View Quote

I use a trust for my NFA items
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Current Sheriff (Billy Sharp) will not sign NFA forms either. He is on his way out. One of the guys running (Ron Abernathy) will not sign either.

Trust is your friend.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
ROLL. TIDE.

what's your MOS? my Al ARNG Brigade HQ (31st CBRN BDE) is in Northport ( near Tuscaloosa) and 145th CBRN BN is in Centerville bout 30 mikes away)
during sports seasons: football, basketball expect long waits everywhere in town. McFarland Blvd is a parking lot on game days. same goes for routes going in and around the UA campus and Bryant-Denny Stadium.
get some dreamland BBQ or Archibalds BBQ in Northport.
I caution you against showing any UF, or gators wear..it's a college town with a football problem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked the Tuscaloosa area when I lived down there in 2006-2008.  My only complaint was having to drive way out into the National Forrest to shoot.  If I were down there again, I'd just join Steel City/Brock's Gap and make the trek to Hoover.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ROLL. TIDE.

what's your MOS? my Al ARNG Brigade HQ (31st CBRN BDE) is in Northport ( near Tuscaloosa) and 145th CBRN BN is in Centerville bout 30 mikes away)
during sports seasons: football, basketball expect long waits everywhere in town. McFarland Blvd is a parking lot on game days. same goes for routes going in and around the UA campus and Bryant-Denny Stadium.
get some dreamland BBQ or Archibalds BBQ in Northport.
I caution you against showing any UF, or gators wear..it's a college town with a football problem.
View Quote

Will have to IM me for that. but I'm in GA now with the Tuscaloosa Unit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I liked the Tuscaloosa area when I lived down there in 2006-2008.  My only complaint was having to drive way out into the National Forrest to shoot.  If I were down there again, I'd just join Steel City/Brock's Gap and make the trek to Hoover.
View Quote

What about the storms and weather in that area
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are still areas that are rebuilding from the April 27th tornadoes.  No telling how long it will take.  Weather is usually pretty good, as a whole.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Just yell out "WAR EAGLE!" to everyone you meet. You'll land that yob fer sher.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The public range in Duncanville is a shit show. It's best to pick a morning during the weekdays and hope you get it to yourself. I would have loved to have private land when I was living there.

Plenty of good food in the area. The wings are Archibald & Woodrow's are awesome (not hot, but a delicious flavor). This place downtown called Epiphany serves pretty much all locally grown and raised food. The pork belly butter served with the bread is enough reason to go there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just yell out "WAR EAGLE!" to everyone you meet. You'll land that yob fer sher.
View Quote

WAR EAGLE .... got it!    
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The public range in Duncanville is a shit show. It's best to pick a morning during the weekdays and hope you get it to yourself. I would have loved to have private land when I was living there.

Plenty of good food in the area. The wings are Archibald & Woodrow's are awesome (not hot, but a delicious flavor). This place downtown called Epiphany serves pretty much all locally grown and raised food. The pork belly butter served with the bread is enough reason to go there.
View Quote

Sounds good... good food, good peeps and shootin

But, I hope to be shooting in my back yard
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Well...interview is set for Aug19-20. Hope to look around.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Break a leg!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Break a leg!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break a leg!

Thanks

I should get the job. I'm concerned with the tornados. I heard a lot of homes were ruined there recently.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks

I should get the job. I'm concerned with the tornados. I heard a lot of homes were ruined there recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break a leg!

Thanks

In 2011. It was a freak storm. Tornados are just a way of life in that part of the state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In 2011. It was a freak storm. Tornados are just a way of life in that part of the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break a leg!

Thanks

Same in FL but I don't want to lose my home. If I take the job I plan on making a large garage for my truck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In 2011. It was a freak storm. Tornados are just a way of life in that part of the state country.
View Quote

Fixed.

It's not unique to Tuscaloosa. Birmingham, Montgomery, and Huntsville areas get them too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fixed.

It's not unique to Tuscaloosa. Birmingham, Montgomery, and Huntsville areas get them too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 2011. It was a freak storm. Tornados are just a way of life in that part of the state country.

Fixed.

Not sure I want to invest my life in an area where it can be taken away in on night.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not sure I want to invest my life in an area where it can be taken away in on night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Meh... you stand a greater chance of being struck by lightening, or a car, or a random shooting, or a plane crash, or medical malpractice, or doing something stupid, or...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Tornados are no joke.  However, there is a long list of things that can cause personal or property  "problems".  I would add that having watched/worked storms that been through Tuscaloosa, it is remarkable to me about the similarities of the individual storm paths.  While you are contemplating property purchase, reference a historical tornado path map for Tuscaloosa.  Not a perfect predictor of future events. However, it could be "helpful".

Good Luck with relocation.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tornados are no joke.  However, there is a long list of things that can cause personal or property  "problems".  I would add that having watched/worked storms that been through Tuscaloosa, it is remarkable to me about the similarities of the individual storm paths.  While you are contemplating property purchase, reference a historical tornado path map for Tuscaloosa.  Not a perfect predictor of future events. However, it could be "helpful".

View Quote

Yep. The EF4 that went through the middle of Tuscaloosa was actually kind of a "fluke" compared to the normal paths.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep. The EF4 that went through the middle of Tuscaloosa was actually kind of a "fluke" compared to the normal paths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does insurance cover you if a tornado destroys your home?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to The Waysider for breakfast.  Very cool place, basically an Alabama sports museum with the best biscuits anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go to The Waysider for breakfast.  Very cool place, basically an Alabama sports museum with the best biscuits anywhere.
View Quote

Outstanding! I was just thinking of asking for places to go. So, where else should I go for good food and scenery.

Also, where should I look for a good home with 10+ acres?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#34]
That particular cell came through N Georgia and did quite a bit of damage as well

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Will be up in Tuscaloosa on the 19th for 4 days.  GO WAR EAGLES!!!  

Any gun shops to visit?

I'm really considering making it my home. I need 10+ acres to play with my toys on.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any gun shops to visit?

I'm really considering making it my home. I need 10+ acres to play with my toys on.  
View Quote

Ah, another thing I forgot about my time there.  The gun stores, at least the ones I knew of back in 2006-7, completely sucked.  It's worth the drive to Bessemer to go to Simmons IMO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ah, another thing I forgot about my time there.  The gun stores, at least the ones I knew of back in 2006-7, completely sucked.  It's worth the drive to Bessemer to go to Simmons IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any gun shops to visit?

What about good ranges?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#38]
•any facility that provides inpatient or custodial care for those with psychiatric, mental or emotional disorders

So, you can not carry in any hospital or nursing home?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Archibald & Woodrow's
Epiphany

anywhere else to visit?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Five and Chuck's fish
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
•any facility that provides inpatient or custodial care for those with psychiatric, mental or emotional disorders

View Quote

Every hospital I've visited in Alabama had a "no weapons" sign posted at every door.  That may or may not discourage me from carrying a firearm.

As far as ranges go, there is a public WMA range out past Moundville, or you have drive 45 minutes or so to Brock's Gap in Hoover which is probably the best range in the state.  Members only (with a waiting list) except for matches, though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Every hospital I've visited in Alabama had a "no weapons" sign posted at every door.  That may or may not discourage me from carrying a firearm.

As far as ranges go, there is a public WMA range out past Moundville, or you have drive 45 minutes or so to Brock's Gap in Hoover which is probably the best range in the state.  Members only (with a waiting list) except for matches, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In FL even if it is posted on a building the worst that can happen is you get in trouble for is trespassing. But that wont happen if you leave when asked. If you don't the you can get a trespassing charge.
I do like going to 3 gun matches so I'll do that. What about on military bases. Some allow civilians to shoot there. I'm also military if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In FL even if it is posted on a building the worst that can happen is you get in trouble for is trespassing. But that wont happen if you leave when asked. If you don't the you can get a trespassing charge.
View Quote

It's the same in AL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's the same in AL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same in AL.

the NRA carry site says "any facility that provides inpatient or custodial care for those with psychiatric, mental or emotional disorders"
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got up here this afternoon and staying at the Hotel Capstone. Will be checking out the area tomorrow. Looks good so far.
Going to look at some houses in the Fayette, McCalla and Centerville areas
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#46]
It looks like I'm getting the job and want to buy a home with about 10 acres if not more. I have been looking around and haven't found much with in 30 minutes from the center of town. Any Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I suggest you look SW of Tuscaloosa, Fosters, Ralph, Romulus area - exit 62 - on 20/59.  20 minutes from downtown T town. Or 82 West Coker area.  Acreage at lower costs than East and South of Tuscaloosa.  The ride in from Fayette is twice as far and time consuming commute.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I suggest you look SW of Tuscaloosa, Fosters, Ralph, Romulus area - exit 62 - on 20/59.  20 minutes from downtown T town. Or 82 West Coker area.  Acreage at lower costs than East and South of Tuscaloosa.  The ride in from Fayette is twice as far and time consuming commute.  Best of luck.
View Quote

Not many houses for sale. I did look in Romulus and have my eye on a nice house there but they asking too much. It's been on the market for 50+ days so I'm sure the price will come down. The realtor also thinks they are asking too much also. Found 3 nice homes in Fayett but it's too far. I'll keep looking. I will need a home in 2 or 3 months. So, I better start looking hard.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Have you looked east, like out by Vance?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top