Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 1:36:20 PM EDT
I was driving south on 231 about 6 miles north of Troy Alabama I see a barbecue joint on the side of the road out in the country called the "BBQ House" "since 1982."  Place looks run down, but lots of time such places are extra good.  So I walk up the door excited about brisket and I am alarmed to see a sign on the door of w/ a pistol in a circle/crossbar.  

I look closer it says something to the effect that open carry of firearms is not allowed on these premises and that it was placed there by the sheriff.  

I walked in there and I asked the girl at the register right there if they also prohibit concealed carry as I saw the sign banning open carry.  She deferred to a young man in a ball cap over to her left.  He heard my question and he then replies: "Well...preferably not..."  At which point I spun around and walked the fuck out while he was in the middle of his idiotic sentance.  

You motherfuckers that live in Troy need to go and give these people a hard time and tell to quite being antiamerican assholes.  

And, WTF is w/ these shit stain alabama sherrifs going around pissing on America like this.  Pricks.

I don't understand how that plays can keep its doors open enroll Alabama with that bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's like this.  They can operate their business how they want to.  It is your right not to spend any money in there.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
that's right. That's why I did not eat lunch there. But I hope they fail as a business because of their s***** policy. And they would deserve it in that area.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
first of all is open carry legal in Alabama either with or without a permit?

I found it strange how the sign specifically said that open carry was prohibited (unless a person was a LEO)

I mean, I find it strange the way that sign was worded, that it specifically mentioned open carry but specifically did not mention concealed carry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Open Carry is Legal in Alabama.  Alabama passed a new law about 2 years ago that cleared up some points of the law but also made many people aware that Open Carry is Legal.

The signs legally only apply to open carry and only if they actually ask you to leave.  If you have a concealed carry permit, then you are good to go legally even though many places that "ban" open carry think it also applies to concealed carry.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I am about to stir up a shit storm.  

Open carry draws too much attention.  It is better to conceal and go unnoticed.  With that being said, it is a free world and you can do whatever makes you happy (except smoke cigarettes because that is just over the line )

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Those signs are posted in stores all over the state, not just there in Troy. Nearly all businesses have them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
do you have to have a permit to OC?  just generally curious.

avoiding the whole issue about whether OC is a good idea here, i didnt leave the place b/c the sign prohibited OC, i left b/c when i directly asked if they had a problem with CC he said "preeferably not".  well fuck you then.  If my money is only good whilst disarmed then your Bbq is no good.

as to why these signs are up all over Troy...  what, was the sheriff all butthurt that he would no longer be the only one who could OC so he went around and pressured local businesses to take the signs?   maybe that sherifff should be spending time, i dunno, trying to solve crimes than trying to make the county antagonistic to peacful people being armed.  

doesnt someone live there to ask that bbq owner why in the fuck he thinks it is a good idea to be against OC/CC in rural AL.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those signs are posted in stores all over the state, not just there in Troy. Nearly all businesses have them.
View Quote

you live there?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Open carry draws too much attention.  It is better to conceal and go unnoticed.  With that being said, it is a free world and you can do whatever makes you happy (except smoke cigarettes because that is just over the line )

I doubt many people would bother with OC if concealed carry for non-prohibited possessors were recognized as a civil right in Alabama.  Currently it's held as a privilidge though, so to "excersize their rights" some make theater out of OC, which has caused more than one business to go anti-gun.

AZ legalized CCW for non-prohibited possessors and encountered no new problems.  I 'd like to see AL do the same (and send a check to the sherrifs to make up their precious permission slip money they will cry about), and should think it would reduce tension on this issue.  

Personal opinion is that businesses should be able to restrict arms on their property, but, should be required to provide reasonable accomodation for lawful gun owners vis-a-vis allowing parking lot storage for visitors.  I'm also of the opinion that when someone creates an unsecured gun free zone, they are creating a hazard environment and imparing the basic civil right of their fellow citizens to provide for their own defense.  In my view they should be open to some measure of liability for injuries that occur from self-defence situations where the means to self defense were denied visitors, but I'm probably in the minority on that for now.

In the current environment, best you can do is skip the places that overtly discriminate against lawful gun owners by prohibiting lawful carry.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I doubt many people would bother with OC if concealed carry for non-prohibited possessors were recognized as a civil right in Alabama.  Currently it's held as a privilidge though, so to "excersize their rights" some make theater out of OC, which has caused more than one business to go anti-gun.

AZ legalized CCW for non-prohibited possessors and encountered no new problems.  I 'd like to see AL do the same (and send a check to the sherrifs to make up their precious permission slip money they will cry about), and should think it would reduce tension on this issue.  

Personal opinion is that businesses should be able to restrict arms on their property, but, should be required to provide reasonable accomodation for lawful gun owners vis-a-vis allowing parking lot storage for visitors.  I'm also of the opinion that when someone creates an unsecured gun free zone, they are creating a hazard environment and imparing the basic civil right of their fellow citizens to provide for their own defense.  In my view they should be open to some measure of liability for injuries that occur from self-defence situations where the means to self defense were denied visitors, but I'm probably in the minority on that for now.

In the current environment, best you can do is skip the places that overtly discriminate against lawful gun owners by prohibiting lawful carry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The concealed permitting requirements were a part of the Democrat plan to control Blacks and deny that Right to Blacks.

2.  Sheriff's get money from the permits.  I really don't know if the cost to them is less than the price of a permit or not.  In other words, I don't know if they are making a profit.

3.  I would love to see the requirement for a permit go away for non prohibited persons.  When the requirement for a permit was started, there were no computer systems that could be used to do an instant background check.

4.  I totally agree that when a business opens itself up and allows the public to enter, it does have certain obligations to providing a safe environment for the public.  The problem is that most businesses worry more about the gun that they can see rather than the guy that is about to rob them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
concealed means CONCEALED.
just throwin that out.
a government building, airport, or military installation, are the only places I DON"T carry.. primarily because they're the only places that can actually DO anything about it.

suzy store owner and their stupid window decal or johnny corporate chain can't do shit about it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I found it strange how the sign specifically said that open carry was prohibitunless a person was a Leo

I mean that I find it strange the way that sign was worded. The way that it specifically mentioned open carry but specifically did not mention concealed carry.
View Quote

AL requires a permit to conceal carry or while carrying in a vehicle (open or concealed).

Walking around open carrying requires no permit.

Good on you for not spending money with an anti-gun company.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No they're not.

True, after SB286 passed a lot of sheriffs made up signs, at their own expense (read the CCW permit fees) and handed them out to various businesses.  But it's still up to the business to decide whether it stays or not.

The way to fight this is to ensure that those businesses that post these signs, feel the heat via lack of sales i.e. "concealed means concealed" and other splineless gun owners need not apply.  

If they post, make it hurt!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree. Don't spend money at a business where they don't welcome you.
On the other hand, strapping an AR-15 on your back and going to the store is just ridiculous.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some businesses bought their own from online sources. Sheriff Mike Hale sent deputies to some business that had them with his name on the sign and made them remove his name. He then contacted the company that made them and told them not to make anymore with his name on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they're not.

True, after SB286 passed a lot of sheriffs made up signs, at their own expense (read the CCW permit fees) and handed them out to various businesses.  But it's still up to the business to decide whether it stays or not.

The way to fight this is to ensure that those businesses that post these signs, feel the heat via lack of sales i.e. "concealed means concealed" and other splineless gun owners need not apply.  

If they post, make it hurt!

Some businesses bought their own from online sources. Sheriff Mike Hale sent deputies to some business that had them with his name on the sign and made them remove his name. He then contacted the company that made them and told them not to make anymore with his name on it.

I saw that over on ALOC a couple months ago (they keep pretty good track of who's posting signs, where and if the sheriff is paying for the signs or not), but I couldn't remember the sheriff's name.  He has garnered a lot of respect over this and his statement on getting rid of the permit system.  Not many sheriffs have that much integrity (Dorning is an excellent example of this).
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bama Carry is gathering a list of such places. Should have taken an pic of the sign and the business.
View Quote

These people?

I should have taken a pic.  Damnit, I just got so pissed when that young man started telling me "preferably not..."  that I emphasized my point to him by adroitly turning and walking the fuck out w/o looking back while he was still hemming and hawing in mid sentance.  

Anyway, doesn't ANYONE here live in/near troy and know the place I speak of?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Nao w/ pics!

(google maps screen shot)

Its about 6 mi N of the north side of Troy
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The sheriffs get big money off the permit system. And it's money they can do anything they want with it. Mike Hale is the only sheriff I know of that stated he wanted to do away with the permit system.

He only gets $5 of the permit fee for sheriff use. The other counties that charge $20 get to keep the whole thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

The sheriffs get big money off the permit system. And it's money they can do anything they want with it. Mike Hale is the only sheriff I know of that stated he wanted to do away with the permit system.

He only gets $5 of the permit fee for sheriff use. The other counties that charge $20 get to keep the whole thing.

If CCW wasn't tied to the ability to move from point A to point B with an operable weapon, I'd probably get less wrapped around the axle on this than I am.  As it stands now however, people's civil right to carry arms to defend themselves, protected under the "we dare defend our rights" Alabama state constitution, have been done away with in a car.  That civil right is openly being held hostage to a permission slip permit process because of the bribe permit money the sheriffs get for writing the permission slip.  That needs to change, either by removing permit from vehicle open carry, or deregulating conceal carry for lawful possessors entirely (and having lived under the latter in AZ, I recommend it).  If we have to cut a check from the treasury every year to mollify the sheriffs to do it, at this point I'm down with that.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

4.  I totally agree that when a business opens itself up and allows the public to enter, it does have certain obligations to providing a safe environment for the public.  The problem is that most businesses worry more about the gun that they can see rather than the guy that is about to rob them.
View Quote
Or that the gun is the only aspect of someone who they think would be a risk of robbing them that they're somehow allowed to ban, so that form of discrimination takes the place of others.

Having temporarily lived in anti gun states (my wife's fault...won't get into it here) a couple of times I can tell you that it is indeed an attitude that has come to be a modern form of segregation, only this time it's usually liberals want people whom they negatively stereotype away from them, so for some reason that's seen as legitimate.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's like this.  They can operate their business how they want to.  It is your right not to spend any money in there.  
View Quote

Sure,  but the business needs to KNOW the WHY they are losing your business...  

Be polite, tell them you are a law abiding person and if they choose not guns on the property, then you will respect that and leave with your money not to return until that policy changes.

Tell them nicely and walk out.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have eaten there before.  Won't again.  Not because the owner doesn't want people open carrying.  Because the foods was terrible.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I live about 15 miles from the bbq resteraunt.   Never ate there before.  As far as the sheriff is concerned he is a great guy. Never had any problems with him, he signed off on my sbr.  He is also my neighbor. I have seen those signs in Montgomery and Dothan. They arent just in Troy.  I thought I saw where law enforcement was required to provide those signs, maybe I miss read it.  I believe that open carry just asks for problems and unwanted attention.  As stated earlier they can only ask that you leave.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I drive up and down Alabama a lot...  
The rest area on I65 just north of Birmingham has stencil letters on the door saying "no weapons beyond this point".  
There are numerous gas stations along 231 between Montgomery and Dothan with "no open carry of guns" signs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I believe the article I saw was on wsfa's website. Maybe it was the sheriffs association.  It was a while ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I think those signs say no open carry unless you are law enforcement.   I don't OC so I have never bother reading them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top