Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 9:30:49 AM EDT
I'm going through one of the aidt preemployment courses. Just wondering what the deal is with having your carry weapon in your vehicle in the parking lot. Instructor says youre fired on the spot if it's found, but that is in direct violation of the new state law.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going through one of the aidt preemployment courses. Just wondering what the deal is with having your carry weapon in your vehicle in the parking lot. Instructor says youre fired on the spot if it's found, but that is in direct violation of the new state law.

View Quote

Why would it be found?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would it be found?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it be found?

Random searches

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it matter? If it is their policy, you going to go to court over it once you're fired? Can you afford to do that? They sure can. If it's a principal thing for you don't work there. Otherwise, take the risk and just be prepared if the day ever arrives.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If your employer demands random searches of your personal / private property at their discretion -- find a new job. I'm not talking drug testing, I'm talking vehicle searches, etc.

Carrying or not, that shit doesn't fly with me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your employer demands random searches of your personal / private property at their discretion -- find a new job. I'm not talking drug testing, I'm talking vehicle searches, etc.

Carrying or not, that shit doesn't fly with me.
View Quote

Agreed. That sounds pretty damn messed up. OP, do you know if Austal does this, or were you just throwing out a hypothetical situation?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK Austal doesn't search your vehicle unless you give them a reason to. I've never heard of anyone having their vehicle randomly searched.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's see....have good paying, stable job or don't because you can't keep a gun in your car on the employer's property.

Hmmmm....what makes most sense and will pay the bills...and for those guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if they are arguing that some sort of federal law or policy (because they are a navy contractor) trumps the state law?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for just now replying but I did some googling and found a news story talking about it. The new state law has an exception for employers with fenced and guarded properties which Austal has. So the company of course decided to to keep their no weapons policy.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry for just now replying but I did some googling and found a news story talking about it. The new state law has an exception for employers with fenced and guarded properties which Austal has. So the company of course decided to to keep their no weapons policy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW.

First off, i'm no lawyer.  I just went through the new law regarding "parking lot storage" and I didn't see anything about an exemption for gated, fenced or guarded properties.  The section about parking lot carry specificially mentions public and private parking lots.   Here's the law:
(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a public or private employer may restrict or prohibit its employees, including those with a permit issued or recognized under Section 13A-11-75, Code of Alabama 1975, from carrying firearms while on the employer's property or while engaged in the duties of the person's employment.
(b) A public or private employer may not restrict or prohibit the transportation or storage of a lawfully possessed firearm or ammunition in an employee’s privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated in a public or private parking area if the employee satisfies all of the following:
(1) The employee either:
a. Has a valid concealed weapon permit; or
b. If the weapon is any firearm legal for use for hunting in Alabama other than a pistol:
i. The employee possesses a valid Alabama hunting license;
ii. The weapon is unloaded at all times on the property;
iii. It is during a season in which hunting is permitted by Alabama law or regulation;
iv. The employee has never been convicted of any crime of violence as that term is
defined in Section 13A-11-70, Code of Alabama 1975, nor of any crime set forth in
Article 6 of Title 13A, Code of Alabama 1975, nor is subject to a Domestic Violence
Order, as that term is defined in Section 13A-6-141, Code of Alabama 1975;
v. The employee does not meet any of the factors set forth in Section 13A-11 75 (a)(1)
a.1-8; and
vi. The employee has no documented prior workplace incidents involving the threat
of physical injury or which resulted in physical injury

(2) The motor vehicle is operated or parked in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(3) The firearm is either of the following:
a. In a motor vehicle attended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation within
the person's motor vehicle.
b. In a motor vehicle unattended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation and
locked within a compartment, container, or in the interior of the person’s privately
owned motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor
vehicle.

There is a section regarding carrying carrying a pistol into a building or facility:  
"Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), a person, including a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, Code of Alabama 1975, may not, without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises, knowingly possess or carry a firearm inside any building or facility to which access of unauthorized persons and prohibited articles is limited during normal hours of operation by the continuous posting of guards and the use of other security features, including, but not limited to, magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers."

I wonder if they are trying to say that there whole facility includes parking lots?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top