Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 9:33:25 AM EDT
I'm looking for some guys that want to get together at various times to go to private property / farms here in the northeast quadrant of Alabama for night hunting of feral hogs and possibly coyotes. This is purely for recreation, and is NOT a business, etc. I have some extra NV gear to loan, but if you have your own stuff, even better.

I don't have any property lined up yet, but I'm reasonably certain that won't be a problem. Hogs are enough of problem around here I personally know other farmers are praying for some relief.

So, if you're an NV / Thermal guy, and are up for some hog and/or coyote hunting, IM or email me if interested in joining up. I'm thinking we can get together in small groups of 3-4 guys at various dates. You'll only need to bring some decent beer for post-hunt festivities, and if we're successful, you can bring some freezer stuffin's home with you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no nv gear but would be happy to supply all beer for the chance to participate
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked into the legalities of a night hunt with NV equipment?  I do not believe it is legal.  If for some reason I am wrong I would love to join you.  copied bellow is the applicable regulations.

Except as otherwise provided by Rule 220-2-.03 for laser
type range finders with computational capabilities on bows,
it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt with a bow or
gun that has a light source attached that is capable of
casting a beam of light (including a laser sight) forward of
said bow or gun or to possess such a light source adapted
for attachment to said bow or gun while hunting.
(d) It shall be unlawful to possess any equipment that uses
electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark (night
vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife,
both protected or unprotected species.

Legal hunting hours for all game animals during the open season for
same shall be daylight hours only, except fox may be hunted at night with
light and dogs only, and raccoon and opossum may be hunted under the
following conditions: with the use of a light and a shotgun using No. 6
shot or smaller or a .22 caliber rimfire firearms when hunter or hunters are
accompanied by dog or dogs free of leash, and if hunting on the lands of
another, they must have the written permission of the landowner.

The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear,
Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox,
Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine
(Wild Hog), except those feral swine reduced to the personal possession of
a landowner or his agent, provided, however, that notwithstanding such
reduction to personal possession, in the event such feral swine are hunted,
they shall at such time of hunting be designated as game animals.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
depredation permits make it legal
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Incidentally, in the future I'd like to see a push for legalization for use of NV for hunting non-game/invasive species.  Hogs in particular
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Incidentally, in the future I'd like to see a push for legalization for use of NV for hunting non-game/invasive species.  Hogs in particular
View Quote

Seriously. Wildlife managers are screaming about hog problems, but the game regs keep us from really putting the hurt on them. The regs need to be updated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the permit?  Sounds like stipulations could be added to permit NV use?

http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/WFFLicenseApps/NonresLic/Wildlife%20Damage.pdf

I think people would love to hear more about the process for getting a thumbs up on NV for hogs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seriously. Wildlife managers are screaming about hog problems, but the game regs keep us from really putting the hurt on them. The regs need to be updated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn, I love this forum!

We'll perform some due diligence on the permit / night predation issue(s).

That said, I've been on a few night hunts on private property specifically for coyotes / hogs and as long as we keep it small and don't operate it like it's a carbine class there has never been an issue. With proper NV / Thermal, there is no need for any "night illumination tool(s)" -- though most prefer to use a targeting laser.

I use a very high-end thermal weapon scope. It can easily ID a hog or coyote at 1,000 yards.

Maybe we need to make some noise. I just read that some of you guys just got the ban on hunting with suppressors lifted.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Which county?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which county?
View Quote

Nothing set yet. I'm hoping somewhere near or close to Marshall / Etowah / Dekalb, but aside from Dekalb I don't think either of the others have feral hog problems.

I'm open for any / all, if the landowner has sufficient acreage and enough of a problem to make it worth the trip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
From the map I'm looking at, it appears that Jefferson and Shelby counties are two of the most heavily infested, which is good because it's reasonably close to me.

Also, after Solo mentioned this:

Quoted:
A damage control permit from the local conservation officer will be required to hunt with NV and thermal, even on private property, in Alabama
View Quote

I spoke with the District II office, and the permit is FREE. It permits full, legal hunting at NIGHT, **with** the use of NV gear. The landowner is the one who needs to apply for it, but there is no cost and as long as it can be shown that there are coyotes and / or feral hogs on the property the CO is likely to approve it.

To my understanding, the process is relatively simple and painless. I think the only issue they want to prevent are possible accidents if the area is too densely populated, which I would think best to avoid such areas to begin with.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.
View Quote

You sir, are a lurker extraordinaire. I tip my hat.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From the map I'm looking at, it appears that Jefferson and Shelby counties are two of the most heavily infested, which is good because it's reasonably close to me.

I spoke with the District II office, and the permit is FREE. It permits full, legal hunting at NIGHT, **with** the use of NV gear. The landowner is the one who needs to apply for it, but there is no cost and as long as it can be shown that there are coyotes and / or feral hogs on the property the CO is likely to approve it.

To my understanding, the process is relatively simple and painless. I think the only issue they want to prevent are possible accidents if the area is too densely populated, which I would think best to avoid such areas to begin with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
A damage control permit from the local conservation officer will be required to hunt with NV and thermal, even on private property, in Alabama

In this case I would love to get in on one of these hunts.  I don't have any NV equipment but I would love to try out my 6.5 Grendel on some hogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I may have a hook up in Dekalb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I may have a hook up in Dekalb.
View Quote

Did I ever tell you, you're my hero?

In fact, I'm going to write a song about you. I think I'll call it, "Wind beneath my wings..."

The Boba Fett thing just seals the deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
As some others have stated, I don't own any NV gear but I would love to give it a try. I finished my hunting platform last year and have yet to take anything with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Last paragraph is pertinent to this topic.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Good article!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good article!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
As I said earlier, I will be happy to provide ALL post-activity refreshments. Just let me know when and where.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As I said earlier, I will be happy to provide ALL post-activity refreshments. Just let me know when and where.
View Quote

It's been hair-pulling crazy this week. I'll double-down next week and round us up a location. From the map(s) I've seen about feral hog infestations, it looks like Jefferson and Shelby counties are some of the worst, and those seem to be a good half-way location for many of us.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#24]
If it is around Jefferson/Shelby county then I am in. I don't even have to hunt. Id like to just watch and learn.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it is around Jefferson/Shelby county then I am in. I don't even have to hunt. Id like to just watch and learn.
View Quote

Hopefully someone will be there that we can learn from.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's been hair-pulling crazy this week. I'll double-down next week and round us up a location. From the map(s) I've seen about feral hog infestations, it looks like Jefferson and Shelby counties are some of the worst, and those seem to be a good half-way location for many of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which maps?  

And I'm in Jefferson just North of Shelby.  These ate probably two of the most populated counties in AL FYI.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double tap
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Which maps?  

And I'm in Jefferson just North of Shelby.  These ate probably two of the most populated counties in AL FYI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which maps?  

Here:
http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/alabama/

Scroll down.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I think they put the wrong map on that website.  Heavy pig populations are suspiciously similar to high human populations.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#31]
more accurate map

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think they put the wrong map on that website.  Heavy pig populations are suspiciously similar to high human populations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alabama_population_map.png
View Quote

Bass turds!

Thanks for the updated map. Going on a farm hunt right now.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top