Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2014 2:16:03 PM EDT
What do I need to know?

Are there any laws that I should be aware of?

I'll be driving in from Louisiana.

Is there anything that I have to do or see while I'm in the area?

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!

First off if you have not been to Larry's Pistol and Pawn (2405 Memorial Pkwy NW, Huntsville, AL 35810) go just to say you went.  Space and rocket center is also a good stop.  There are some decent eateries in Huntsville depends on what you want to spend.....

Monte Sano State Park is also a good stop.  If you like history there is also the Veterans' Memorial Museum you could check out as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Open carry legal without a permit as long as you are on foot.

Permit required for CC or while carrying (open or concealed) in a vehicle.  AL recognizes all other states permits, so if you have a LA permit, you're good here.

Larry's, as already mentioned.  The Space and Rocket Center, if nothing, just to see the A-12 Blackbird.   If you have time, the Jack Daniels distillery, about 45 minutes from Hsv. in Lynchburg, TN, try to make reservations at Miss Mary Bobo's while you're there, you won't be disappointed!

What else are you interested in?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Space and rocket center is pretty much mandatory for anyone that loves space and space history, lots of rocket parts to stare at and touch.  Just look for the Saturn V by the freeway.

+1 vet memorial museum (south parkway), An excellent cheap thrill at $5 admission, monte sano is great too.   For adult beverages "The Nook" is a traditional spot to introduce folks to.  Some times there are history and ghost walks downtown which form up at the courthouse.  If you're here between may and october there's a farmer's market downtown as well.   Big Spring Park can be a relaxing place for an afternoon/ evening stroll.  North of downtown there's a veteran memorial complex that's worth a visit to pay respects.

While you're at Arsenal check in with the MWR folks, there's camping, fishing and other such.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The Great Moonbuggy Race was renamed this year due to budget constraints but will be held under some other name while you are here. It's held at the Space and Rocket Center and very entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely plan to check out the Space and Rocket Museum.  I'll probably be at the moonbuggy competition too, (I'm fairly certain that's what the "training" was scheduled around).

I don't have a CCP in LA.  It's been on my to do list, but I can't carry in any of the places that I feel I need to carry, and I can't have any weapons in the car at work either, so it's kinda a moot point.  Gotta love Federal facilities, and gun free zones.

Not too thrilled that I can't carry in the car though, what's the rules on transport, and hotel rooms?

I'm not real big on the night life, so clubs and such aren't my thing.  I do plan on hitting up the local restaurants, and I hear Conner's is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Grill 29 is very good as well as Cotton Row but the latter can be very expensive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Not too thrilled that I can't carry in the car though, what's the rules on transport, and hotel rooms?
View Quote

All I have is the following related to vehicle from § 13A-11-73:

(a) Except on land under his or her control or in his or her own abode or his or her own fixed place of business, no person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person without a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-8

(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law, a person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.

View Quote

So I can only speculate, but I'd say in a hotel, since you can't conceal, it either has to be open carry (which they may have signs or other objection to) or locked away unloaded.  Totally against the state's constitution sections 26/36, but that doesn't seem to phase a lot of people around here.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
if you want to go kayaking or shooting one day let me know. I generally do both a couple of times a week.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you want to go kayaking or shooting one day let me know. I generally do both a couple of times a week.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer.  

Not really sure what time is going to allow.  Looks like I'm only going to be able to be armed with my wits, and I wasn't planning on bringing any long guns anyway, (not keen on leaving them in the hotel) so I guess shooting is out.

I'm not sure how often I'm going to be traveling to Huntsville, but I guess now I have a reason to get a permit...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got problems but being short on guns isn't one of them. Got plenty. If you are staying on Redstone Huntsville bumps right up to it on the east side and Madison has the west and north covered. I'm about thirty minutes out in the sticks. Huntsville is not an area I'd be concerned about. Stay out of the north west end of town, keep out of the clubs and stuff like that after ten or so, and you won't have a problem. The cops are good at what they do and tend to keep things in line. Shitty places have shitty people. Stay away from them and there isn't a problem. You going to the Hazardous Devices school?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
To be honest with you, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing besides getting familiarized with some ESAB equipment at MSFC in preparation for this to come on line in New Orleans.

This is what I've been working on.

That video is from right around the time I started my hiring process.  I work with that crew right now.  Two of the guys in the video, myself, and a handful of other folks will be on the start up team for the VAC.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#12]
impressive -
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To be honest with you, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing besides getting familiarized with some ESAB equipment at MSFC in preparation for this to come on line in New Orleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--k0OYzUI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K00usdSxhuQ

That video is from right around the time I started my hiring process.  I work with that crew right now.  Two of the guys in the video, myself, and a handful of other folks will be on the start up team for the VAC.

View Quote

no shit! I'm the guy that will be training you! Small world huh!
I worked with Will, Chris, Todd, Richard, Ron, Bill, and all the rest of them heathens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah.  I feel really lucky to be part of it.  I hired in as a cnc machinist.  I had no idea of the scale of the things I'd be working on.

It's a big change for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--k0OYzUI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K00usdSxhuQ

Small world indeed.  Glad to be in good company.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'll be the one without tattoos, and no chain on my wallet.

For the most part I like everyone I work with, I just haven't gotten adjusted to how Boeing does things.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#17]
So when are y'all coming up? I have experiments lined up for months on end and could use the help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Driving in tomorrow, we'll be in the lab on Tuesday.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool. Is Will and Chris coming too? We need a crawfish boil if they are!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, they'll be there too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Will, Chris, Kyle, and DJ? I've been texting Chris.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will, Chris, Kyle, and DJKenny? I've been texting Chris.
View Quote

BJ isn't coming as far as I know.  We had another guy on the list, but he's taking vacation.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I can tell you how much good it does me to see something like the SLS being built.  We've been stuck just spinning around the planet LEO since before I was born, and now we practically need to get a Soyuz at space camp so the kids can train on "current" space hardware .  Something like this could get us back in the game.  Good on you and best of luck!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought Louisiana roads were bad.  

Y'all weren't kidding about the Saturn V, I pass one everyday, but it's not standing up with an upper stage and module on top.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought Louisiana roads were bad.  

Y'all weren't kidding about the Saturn V, I pass one everyday, but it's not standing up with an upper stage and module on top.  
View Quote

Better get some sleep tonight.  I'm gonna work your ass off tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I dunno, I've been dragged to some ritzy joint.  Not sure what I'll be worth in the morning...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted to thank everyone that replied to this thread.  I had a great time in Alabama, and plan to return for sure.

Next time I'm going to try to make time to meet up with the folks that offered, and hopefully get out and do a little shooting.

I'll be honest with you, it was pretty hard driving home.  The weather was great, the people were friendly, and the mountains are beautiful.  It was definitely an eye-opener.  

I was welcomed back to Louisiana by a humid 80 something degree day today.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I really enjoyed meeting you and having the opportunity to work with you.  It was a blast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wanted to thank everyone that replied to this thread.  I had a great time in Alabama, and plan to return for sure.
View Quote

I still hear those coyotes laughing at us. Bass turds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#30]
See, THAT'S the sort of place I want to work at, even if I'm just the old guy buffing the floors.  
One thing for sure, anywhere you go there are vehicles & equipment; someone's got to be able to service/repair/operate them and I'm just that guy.
Current W-5823-10 soon to be WL-5308-10 (If C-Pac doesn't screw the pooch again. )
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, most of the cool stuff is built in New Orleans at Michoud, and tested at Stennis in Mississippi.

The people are lot cooler in Alabama though.

There's also the ULA, they build space craft too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top