Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 2:34:17 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a small piece of land in Northeastern Alabama.  I am looking for 10 acres or so, in an area that is undeveloped and not likely to explode with growth in the next ten years.

Basically looking for a very modest sized area to hunt, maybe a really tiny cabin.

I do not know the areas to avoid, so i would appreciate any input.  

I just need pointed in the right direction of what town or county would fit the description above.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Areas around Section, Ft. Payne, or Rainsville is probably your best bet.  Huntsville is spreading quickly into Madison county and soon places like Gurley/Paint Rock is going to be "mini Huntsville".
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Blount County
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Areas around Section, Ft. Payne, or Rainsville is probably your best bet.  Huntsville is spreading quickly into Madison county and soon places like Gurley/Paint Rock is going to be "mini Huntsville".
View Quote
I'm partial to the Dekalb county area personally.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Areas around Section, Ft. Payne, or Rainsville is probably your best bet.  Huntsville is spreading quickly into Madison Jackson county and soon places like Gurley/Paint Rock is going to be "mini Huntsville".
View Quote

Huntsville is in Madison county.  Like you, I predict that the Hwy 72 corridor, including Hwy 65 up the Paint Rock River, will go just like Hwy 431 out in Owens Cross Roads/New Hope did years ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
And to answer the OP's question:  I wouldn't look for land in NE AL, I'd look for land in TN, specifically the Huntland/Flintville area.

TN has no state income tax although you'll pay AL income tax if you work in AL.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And to answer the OP's question:  I wouldn't look for land in NE AL, I'd look for land in TN, specifically the Huntland/Flintville area.

Good luck!
View Quote

I'm surprised its that working in AL while living in TN subjects you to Alabama income taxes.....perhaps that's why there aren't as many living in TN.
I too am interested in land/relocating to NE Alabama, SE Tenn. as my work would most likely relocate us to Marshal or Redstone, and I have Family in Decatur...come to think of it I should have moved there with them 25 years ago.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm surprised its that working in AL while living in TN subjects you to Alabama income taxes.....perhaps that's why there aren't as many living in TN.
I too am interested in land/relocating to NE Alabama, SE Tenn. as my work would most likely relocate us to Marshal or Redstone, and I have Family in Decatur...come to think of it I should have moved there with them 25 years ago.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Pangea can say more about that because I *think* he lives in TN but works in AL.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote

We had a little place on 20 acres in Flintville for 8 years. It was a really nice place to live. I miss it often.

Lincoln County is pretty sparsely populated. Land isn't very expensive, and if you shop around you can buy land with an old farmhouse for the same price as just unimproved land.

FWIW, it was about a one hour commute onto the Arsenal from our place in Flintville.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We had a little place on 20 acres in Flintville for 8 years. It was a really nice place to live. I miss it often.

Lincoln County is pretty sparsely populated. Land isn't very expensive, and if you shop around you can buy land with an old farmhouse for the same price as just unimproved land.

FWIW, it was about a one hour commute onto the Arsenal from our place in Flintville.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Last October, I moved from Madison to SW Lincoln county.  My new house is exactly 30 miles from my old house, which means my new house is right about 38 miles to the Boeing Jetplex south of the Hsv runways.

My closest neighbor's husband worked for MacDac/Boeing until his death 2 1/2 years ago (they live 1/4 mile away).  They have lived here at least since 1974.

My next closest neighbor (1/2 mile away) also works at Boeing, has been for at least 12 years AFAIK.

My other neighbor (3/4 mile, FIL to the 2nd neighbor) also has worked at Boeing for decades, they've lived here since at least the early 80's.

I worked at Boeing +32 years, my wife over 22 years.  What are the odds of moving +30 miles away and still have 3 of my neighbors all work at the same place I did????

It takes me about 40 minutes to make the 30 miles to Madison home, which means Boeing is about an hour away, depending on traffic.  Now that I'm retired, I couldn't give a bigger shit about the drive into Boeing.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I worked at Boeing +32 years, my wife over 22 years.  What are the odds of moving +30 miles away and still have 3 of my neighbors all work at the same place I did????
View Quote

Oh, that's an easy one. Smart folks understand the value of living in a place like you guys now have.

We'll get back out there or someplace similar one day, but it's looking like I have at least eight years to go in one crummy city or another.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
What do you think about these locations?
Rogersville, Alabama
Florence, Alabama
Guntersville, Alabama

Keeping in mind that we've lived in a small farming community for the last 20 years; it's 15 miles to the nearest City, and 55 miles to the nearest big city, and eight hours to NYC so we are very comfortable with rural, quazi-rural living....so long as we've got fresh water the rest isn't too bad.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
OP:
Did or have you found anything of interest?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
There's 75 acres off of Minnie Brown road north of Cash Point just over the state line east of Ardmore.  The MB area is pretty nice the 2-3 times I've been up and down it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you think about these locations?
Rogersville, Alabama
Florence, Alabama
Guntersville, Alabama

Keeping in mind that we've lived in a small farming community for the last 20 years; it's 15 miles to the nearest City, and 55 miles to the nearest big city, and eight hours to NYC so we are very comfortable with rural, quazi-rural living....so long as we've got fresh water the rest isn't too bad.  
View Quote

Rogersville is a stop between Florence and Athens/Huntsville will probably develop as its on 72 and is a main corridor.

Florence is alright, Univ town, on Tenn river, decent.

Guntersville is a very nice area, about 20 minutes from me, on the Tenn river with a great lake for activities. Morphing into a retirement area. Lake property is expensive, surrounding areas no so much. Of the three this would be my selection. let me know if you come down. I'll show you around

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'all would be correct about paying AL income tax while living in TN.  One of my colleagues at work lives in Fayetteville, TN and commutes to RSA.  He pays AL income tax.  Was bitching about it the other day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The stretch of 72 between Athens and Florence will build up a good bit in the next 10 years, but land aroound Rogersville (Anderson, etc.) is nice and shouldn't be all built up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Check skyline and Princeton areas of Jackson county.  Land is still fairly cheap and wildlife plentiful.  Also public 200yrd range in the area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#18]
OP if you're interested in land about 10 miles north of the border, I know of two tracts for sale, one 33 acres, the other 51 acres (or both at around 85 acres).  It's located almost exactly 30 miles north from downtown Madison, AL.

All wooded, private drive, potentially great views of the valley below.

LMK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
As requested:

Ardmore land for sale
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guntersville is a very nice area, about 20 minutes from me, on the Tenn river with a great lake for activities. Morphing into a retirement area. Lake property is expensive, surrounding areas no so much. Of the three this would be my selection. let me know if you come down. I'll show you around
View Quote

G'ville is being built-up quickly. I think the OP is looking for something secluded, perhaps a BOL? Also assuming something on the cheap, say under $30k for 10 acres? Etowah, Blount, Dekalb, and a tiny bit of Marshall counties are all good places to start looking. Stay out of the various city limits, in the "county", where use restrictions are significantly relaxed and taxes will be next to nothing. If you put any structures on the property, make it mobile or non-permanent, unless you intend to move there permanently. If you are / do, file for your "homestead" and also for "current use" with the tax assessor's office. Those two will greatly reduce your already-cheap property taxes.

In Boaz / Marshall County, we pay under $200 per year for our property taxes for our small farm. We have about a dozen cattle, a few hogs, a couple hundred chickens and turkeys, a decent house, 6-car garage, barn, pastures, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
As Merlin mentioned, I do indeed live in Tn and work in Al. You are taxed where you earn the money, not where you live.

I had a man doing some back hoe work for me yesterday that has 25-26 acres of mountain land for sale on the Lincoln/Franklin county line. Very secluded with lots of deer. Right of way access and electricity within 75 yards of the property. I didn't ask the price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
We went all the way up to Fayettville, across 110 and over to I-65.
Really nice country, just the way we like it.
The trade off is working in Alabama; The traffic is significantly more than we're used to both in Decatur and in Huntsville.
Arnold AFB might be just the ticket....
Where we live now is very similar in terms of Rural/small town living, hell dairy cows outnumber people here, and the deer outnumber cows
I would like to buy a place where we can hunt small game (large would be nice, at least nearby) A pond or lake, at least access nearby or better yet on the water where I can fish.
There's lots of potential and I really like it there, but it's going to take time and logistics to make the move. I think we'll be headed back down again in a month or two.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As Merlin mentioned, I do indeed live in Tn and work in Al. You are taxed where you earn the money, not where you live.

I had a man doing some back hoe work for me yesterday that has 25-26 acres of mountain land for sale on the Lincoln/Franklin county line. Very secluded with lots of deer. Right of way access and electricity within 75 yards of the property. I didn't ask the price.
View Quote

What's the approximate tax rate for AL?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think 5% for state income tax.  Then there's the sales tax on top of that.

If you live in TN, you can get a farming tax exemption if you have over 15 acres (I think, check the regs).  This will save you on farm purchases, materials etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you live in TN, you can get a farming tax exemption if you have over 15 acres (I think, check the regs).  This will save you on farm purchases, materials etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Tennessee, anything over 3 acres can be considered a farm. I have 3.5 and have the farm tax exemption.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed some areas (in this case Anniston) are quite high at 10% where other areas are ~7% (that's what our sales tax is here)
TN is looking better and better everyday. A good many of our Brothers behind enemy lines feel the same way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
A little levity?

I heard that a tornado went through Tennessee and did 10 million dollars worth of improvement.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top