Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2013 8:21:40 PM EDT
Alabama folks!

We still have a few tickets available for the August clinic near Guntersville, Alabama event!

We've got a great group of instructors lined up. Come join us on the line for the finest marksmanship instruction around and hear about the Founding of our country!

There is an Project Appleseed rifle clinic August 30-31, 2014 near Guntersville at the Blue & Gray Rifle and Pistol Club!.  An Appleseed weekend clinic is family friendly - responsible children are welcome!

There are still plenty of spots on the line available. You can register by clicking here.

Please review: How to Prepare for an Event

Don't let the lack of a rifle or the scarcity of .22 ammo availability stop you from attending. Send me a PM if that is an issue for you. We should be able to work something out.

Additional Information:

Safety Notice:   Rifles must be cased and left in vehicle until after the Safety Briefing. Do Not bring your firearms out until instructed to bring them to the firing line. No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No illegal firearms are allowed.

Range Fee: NONE  

Camping Available:
No camping on the range.  Otherwise, see:

6.1 miles
Honeycomb Campground; www.camp-honeycomb.com; 188 Camp Ground Road; Grant, AL 35747; (256) 582-9882

24 miles
Guntersville State Park; 7966 AL Hwy. 227; Guntersville, AL 35976; 256-571-5440

Hotels:

Hampton Inn; 14451 US Hwy 431 S; Guntersville, AL 35976; 256-582-4176

Super8; 14341 Hwy 431 S; Guntersville, AL 35976; 256-582-8444

Best Western Plus Lake Guntersville Hotel; 2140 Gunter Ave,; Guntersville, AL 35976; (256) 582-2220

Directions:
From Huntsville: 431South about 25 minutes. In-between mile marker 310 and 311, turn right at the blue and white TVA Guntersville Dam sign. Drive aprox 3 miles and turn left at large cedar tree (also look for Project Appleseed target or sign at this turn).

From Guntersville: 431North approximately 15-20 minutes. In-between mile marker 310 and 311, turn left at the blue and white TVA Guntersville Dam sign. Drive approximately 3 miles and turn left at large cedar tree (also look for Project Appleseed target or sign at this turn).

GPS: 34.434204, -86.393180

State Laws to be aware of:

Alabama State gun laws at the NRA: http://nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/alabama.aspx
Alabama State gun laws at GLBS: http://gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/alabama-gun-laws

It is the responsibility of attendees to know and comply with all Alabama and Federal Firearms Laws.

Misc:

- Registration will be begin at 8 am, and instruction promptly at 8:30 am both days.

- Blue & Gray Rifle and Pistol Club supports .22cal rimfire and centerfire up to 8mm.  Firing line is covered concrete.  Shooting mat or carpet remnant recommended.

Food at the Range:  Please bring a bag lunch & plenty to drink.  There are no food facilities at the range.  A number of restaurants (sit-down and fast food) located in Guntersville, Hampton Cove and Huntsville, within 15-20 miles from range for breakfast or dinner.

For more information contact:

Name: Rusty on Appleseed Forum Email Address: [email protected]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
On other hand.... can't now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Five tickets left...  
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Really wish I could make it, but I don't have a reliable .22.  I have an old tube fed marlin that is not dependable.  

Maybe next year.

ETA:  how common are AR's?  How much ammo for the weekend?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope they have another one, really wanted to go but work is taking me out of the country that week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really wish I could make it, but I don't have a reliable .22.  I have an old tube fed marlin that is not dependable.  

Maybe next year.

View Quote

PM sent.

ARs are more than welcome.  Usually, it's an issue of what the range will support.  Lately, I've been seeing 300 rounds or so for the weekend.  The assumption is that you come to learn to shoot, not just turn money into noise.

//break//

USGILT - there will be a couple more at this location in 2014.  Still working on scheduling.  Wish I had a better answer for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

PM sent.

ARs are more than welcome.  Usually, it's an issue of what the range will support.  Lately, I've been seeing 300 rounds or so for the weekend.  The assumption is that you come to learn to shoot, not just turn money into noise.

//break//

USGILT - there will be a couple more at this location in 2014.  Still working on scheduling.  Wish I had a better answer for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe next year.

PM sent.

//break//

Responded, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm registered, can't wait!  I have been shooting for over 25 years, but I am completely self taught.  I can't wait to soak up some new knowledge like a sponge.

Thanks Ken!
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Really wish the wife and I could make it. She (and I) would benefit greatly from the class. Unfortunately, money and her work schedule are in the way.

ETA: Ya'll have fun! I'd love to see some pictures from the event.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Ken, quick question.  Is it common/recommended to shoot .22 on sat and .223 on Sunday?  I'm just trying to plan.  I want to get the most out of it.

I don't want to be the only sob with a centerfire out there.  

What do you recommend?

Also, what distance are we shooting?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey Ken, quick question.  Is it common/recommended to shoot .22 on sat and .223 on Sunday?  I'm just trying to plan.  I want to get the most out of it.

I don't want to be the only sob with a centerfire out there.  

What do you recommend?

Also, what distance are we shooting?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you won't be the only guy with a centerfire.  If necessary, I'll sacrifice myself and break out my AR just so you don't feel all alone.  

I'd suggest that you start with your .22 for the basic instruction.  We assume that you're coming out for the instruction and not just to turn money into noise.  You might even shoot for a while on Sunday morning with it.  After you're really comfortable with what we're teaching, then switch over.  

Of course, if you decide to do the entire even wtih an AR, that's cool too.  As long as the range will support it, I love having bigger rifles out there.  This venue is 25m, on private land.  We've discussed putting up a 100y line, but that will require more work than we've had time to do.  The nice thing is that with a 100y line, we can demonstrate that with a 4-5 MOA come-up on the sights, what works at 25M works at 100 for a 22LR.  Solid fundamentals at 25M translate to good shots at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump.  

I have secured enough .22 ammo to shoot the whole weekend without changing gr/brand.  Thanks to a kind member on this site.  

I now have the option of using my ar, or the 10/22 the entire time.  

So excited, can't wait.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the bump.  Still a few spots available on the line.  

Looks like the Manchester, TN  shoot (90 minutes north) this weekend is full!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Ken914,

I wanted to thank you again for a wonderful event.  You are a great host, and I love that you have your son involved, that is awesome.  The world could use a few more people like you guys.  I really enjoyed everything, and feel like I definitely improved my shooting abilities.

It was particularly nice to meet people with similar beliefs who love liberty.  I feel like the stories you guys shared really put us in our forefathers' shoes, it made me appreciate what others have done for us, and why they did it.  I look forward to sharing with others what I learned, particularly my son.  

I have a lot to work on, and I can't wait to make it to another event.  If any of you guys are even slightly considering it, you should make it out to one.  It is fantastic, and very affordable.  You might even make a few new friends.  I feel like I have learned invaluable skills that will stay with me forever.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Any info on upcoming clinics?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yessir.

There are three Appleseed clinics on the schedule for 2014 in the Huntsville & surrounding area.   The MCSSA is also considering hosting a clinic, too.

Here is a link to the current schedule:  Alabama Appleseed Schedule 2014

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in cullman and the wife and I are looking for some stuff like this. I've never been to an appleseed clinic and just now looked them up to see what they are. Sounds fun. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm in cullman and the wife and I are looking for some stuff like this. I've never been to an appleseed clinic and just now looked them up to see what they are. Sounds fun. Thanks!
View Quote

Hope you can make it out.  :-)
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm updating this thread with the May 3/4 shoot info!

Some of the local prepper community is going to be there.  A good time to network and meet new folks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Tickets purchased for the wife and I. I am extremely excited about attending this with her.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm updating this thread with the May 3/4 shoot info!

Some of the local prepper community is going to be there.  A good time to network and meet new folks.
View Quote

Rusty,

If a spot opens up for the May class please let me know.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Dooo ittttt, you won't be sorry.  Ken914 and company do a great job.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Folks, the Gurley event this coming weekend is sold out.  

I've updated the OP to reflect our next event - in Calera, AL (Shelby County).  I'm excited we can get another clinic down in the Birmingham area!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Just wanted to follow up for this past weekend’s Gurley Appleseed shoot 3-4 May 14.

I would HIGHLY recommend this event to anyone that is even slightly interested in becoming a better shooter.

I've been shooting for a while now both on my own and in the military and I learned a lot about my own abilities (and inabilities, for that matter) over the course of 2 days.

It really was a great time, Rusty and his crew put together a top notch event, and the instruction was extremely helpful as well as professional.

I honestly don't think there's a better value in fundamentals instruction.  As long as you pay attention and go with a good attitude, you'll learn quite a bit and be GTG.

I did not get my rifleman patch over the course of two days but that’s not what the experience is about.

However, I did greatly improve between day 1 and day 2.  Top scores between the two days for me where 187, 197, 201, 203.

Rusty was generous enough to let me use one of his loaner 10/22's with the recommended Tec site system, and adjustable OD web sling.

I recommend doing it at least once without optics. The intent is to learn/relearn the fundamentals of marksmanship.

It never hurts to go back the old school method once and a while.

Dave,

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Dave, thank you for the kind words.  It was a real pleasure having you on the line.

Just a quick update:  If you're considering attending the next Project Appleseed weekend in Calera, AL and bringing your kids, we have a deal for you.

Under a youth shooting grant from ATK, Alabama Project Appleseed can offer Blazer .22LR ammo AT COST for use at the event.  It will be approximately 1.70 per 50 round box.  A typical Project Appleseed weekend will use about 300-350 rounds.  This offer is ONLY good for shooters under the age of 18, for use at the Appleseed clinic.  (We have a limited amount, so it's first come-first serve.)

While the ammunition situation is getting better, things are still crazy out there.  We hope this will help you bring your family to the event.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#26]
This is a bump!
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll be shooting a 10/22 with factory iron sights and my wife will be shooting a S&W M&P 15/22 with factory sights. Other than GI sling, ammo, and extra mags what else will we need gun-wise? I want to make this an extremely enjoyable experience for my wife, and I want to make sure I have everything she needs to make that happen. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll be shooting a 10/22 with factory iron sights and my wife will be shooting a S&W M&P 15/22 with factory sights. Other than GI sling, ammo, and extra mags what else will we need gun-wise? I want to make this an extremely enjoyable experience for my wife, and I want to make sure I have everything she needs to make that happen. Thanks!
View Quote

Hi Kyle, I see you and your bride on the registration list for Calera.

Sounds like you have most of the firearm stuff covered.  Two magazines of at least ten rounds will work for the clinic.  You'll need a mat or carpet remnant to lay on.  The Calera event has an open-air firing line, so if you have a pop-up or EZup shelter, you're welcome to bring it.  It'll keep you both more comfortable and we shoot rain or shine.

Look forward to seeing you there!

-K9

ETA:  You can shoot during the Appleseed clinic with factory sights.  You'll probably learn a bit more (and have fewer challenges) with aperture style sights like the ones from Tech Sights.  I think other companies make them, but the ones from TS are high quality and the adjustments are crips and consistent.

They can be installed with simple hand tools.  Here is the set I recommend for shooters with a Ruger 10/22, the TSR-100:

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#29]
*bump*
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
*bump*
View Quote

Welcome.  I'm pretty sure I met you in Guntersville.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*bump*

You may have met me in Gurley.  That is if your given name and preferred name differ.  ;)
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
If we weren't running a marriage event at church I would be down there with my M&P...
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#33]
First, a BIG thank you to the volunteers who put this on and Double Tap for letting RWVA host an Appleseed Clinic at their facility.

My wife and I attended this weekend, and we just got home. Folks, you don't know what you are missing! This clinic is good for your skills and for your soul. If you value Liberty, want to preserve it, and want to be prepared to fight for it, you need to attend and Appleseed clinic. This isn't just plinking around with the ole 22. This is serious shooting skills that you can take to the field.

The most important part of the weekend was being reminded what TRUE LIBERTY is, honoring those who sacrificed to provide it, and putting into perspective my own willingness and ability to fight for it.

As for the shooting, it was all done at 25 meters with targets representing an enemy at 100,200,300, and 400yds. Instruction was given and argets engaged in the prone, seated, kneeling, and standing position. One of, if not THE main component of instruction was using the USGI sling to steady yourself and your rifle. When you attend an Appleseed, bring whatever rifle you want, but put a USGI sling on it.

Thanks RWVA and Double Tap for a GREAT weekend!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump for the August clinic at the Blue & Gray Rifle and Pistol Club.

A very nice range with a covered firing line.  Appleseed will have the whole range to ourselves!  Just a few tickets remaining!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]
As a once (and perhaps future) member of the B&GR&P club let me say it's a fine facility. The covered shooting setup will be a definite + in this heat!

I've been to a couple of Appleseeds at Steel City (another fine outfit) and endorse them whole heartedly. There were newbies and ex military (they shot the lights out) and everyone seemed to have a positive experience.

One thing I'd suggest- Stay hydrated! I generally use a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water. And chunks of ice cold watermelon are a good thing for lunch. Keep it light.

I'd like to look into a .22LR for Appleseeds. We have a new addition to our family so I won't be in attendance but I wish you all good shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top