Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like y'all are getting shit done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Will someone summarize?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will someone summarize?
View Quote

• Changes language in Alabama code for what counties and municipalities can/can't do as far as firearms are related (doesn't specify in first page)

• A lot of Alabama code of 1975 language has been cleaned up

• "civil remedy" to people in legal trouble due to restrictive gun laws

• The sheriff has 30 days to approve or deny your CC application

CC permits are now valid for 1 up to 5 years upon request

• CC permits can now be applied for, and paid for online

• Don't be an ass with your CC and you won't get in trouble (DON'T: Fight, threaten, make offensive gestures to anyone, initiate confrontation, don't inconvenience anyone ECT.)

• Anyone may CC WITHOUT a CC permit: in their home, on other private property with approval from the land/property owner

• You may carry an UNLOADED pistol in your car as long as it is kept in a locked container that isn't accessible to anyone in the car INCLUDING passengers

Alabama's attorney general may now enter into reciprocity agreements between other states for CC

• Gunshow booth holders will be levied a business tax

This is all I could get around to right now

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Plus:

- All other states CCW permit/license are now good in AL; AL law must be followed however.

- Clarifies that OC is not in and of itself grounds for disturbing the peace or otherwise breaking the law.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Other weapons or just handguns still???
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]
did this ever extended or allowed the open carry/ "your car is extension of your home" rule w/o permit requirement, etc.?  Like if leave a pistol in plain sight on seat (not concealed) like open carry inside a car but pistol is not concealed.  Or iirc, this provision was shot down at last minute?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

permits are still required for vehicle carry. the ASA was key in getting that shot down. I consider the ASA to be an enemy of our freedoms. this had nothing to do with officer safety and 100% with them forcing people to get a permit and pay them money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
did this ever extended or allowed the open carry/ "your car is extension of your home" rule w/o permit requirement, etc.?  Like if leave a pistol in plain sight on seat (not concealed) like open carry inside a car but pistol is not concealed.  Or iirc, this provision was shot down at last minute?

permits are still required for vehicle carry. the ASA was key in getting that shot down. I consider the ASA to be an enemy of our freedoms. this had nothing to do with officer safety and 100% with them forcing people to get a permit and pay them money.

roger that, I agree - that refresh my memory, Thanks Mike !  (Been away for a few months, just getting back and catching up asap and my permit expired recently was reason I had to asked for quicker update.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Several sheriffs have distributed "no guns allowed" signs to local businesses. I have looked at the laws, although not recently, but aren't these signs "illegal"? A private club, yes, I understand. But public places like grocery stores etc, if I understand the law correctly, don't they need armed security in place to legally say "no guns allowed"? Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Other weapons or just handguns still???
View Quote

According to Division 2 13A-11-70 definitions Alabama state law defines a "pistol" in Division 2 as "Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length"  

In the state of Alabama with an issued pistol permit, you can keep a short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, or machine gun in your vehicle or concealed on person, if the barrel is less than than 12 inches. Over the 12 inches would not be a "pistol" as defined by state law and would fall back under Section 13A-11-50  and I can not see any permits that are available for concealed rifles, knives, a Bowie knife, air gun, or instrument of like kind or description.

That is how I am reading the state law. I am not an attorney and if I misunderstood or missed something please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top