Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:03:29 PM EDT
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/10/armed_in_alabama_permits_show.html

But a permit doesn't mean you can pack your piece anywhere. Alabama permits do not allow weapons inside an airport, a courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms; any city, state or federal facilities; or at any public gatherings such as sporting events, political events, parades or political demonstrations.

While some sheriffs attach qualifications to permits (not mine), I am not familiar with any Alabama state laws that forbid carrying any of those places, except for demonstrations.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent example of a Fudd:  Jim Moses.  He's been that way for over 20 years I've known him.

"Moses is president of the Alabama State Rifle and Pistol Association, a state lobbying group, and the Blue and Gray Rifle and Pistol Club, a Madison County shooting club. He said Alabama's gun enthusiasts have considered pushing for "shall issue" statutes, because the criminal background checks that typically go along with "shall issue" laws have other benefits.

"If the law said the sheriff shall issue with a background check," Moses said, "that would allow guys that had a pistol permit and a background check to sidestep the thing where they phone in to the FBI when you buy a gun.

"We felt like that would be desirable," he continued, "but it's not worth aggravating the sheriffs about, so we've not pushed it."

Moses and his members know they are living in a gun-friendly state. "We feel like the sheriffs are more or less on our side ...," he said. Dorning agrees that licensed gun owners cause him few problems."

Basically, he has his, screw everyone else.  One year licenses that cost $20 ($10 to renew IRC), and in the case of Madison County, take over 6 weeks to get the first time.  What a fawking crock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
However, this article is pretty good. I wish all non gun people were this open-mindned.

http://blog.al.com/times-views/2012/10/armed_in_alabama_ive_never_fir.html#incart_river_default
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Circa 2000 when we got Russ Fine (the old radio host) engaged to begin to lobby to get concealed carry reciprocity for AL (we had none at all) this Moses guy who was head of that organization at that time had some pretty harsh words for me.  I have not forgotten.  He seemed to think the status quo was just fine and I was being way too confrontational with some of the legislators by writing them letters spelling out how backward our laws were.

The Alabama State Rifle & Pistol Association is an organization of what is left of the old NRA bullseye and HiPower shooters, two essentially dead shooting sports when comparted to action pistol, 3 gun, tac rifle, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
However, this article is pretty good. I wish all non gun people were this open-mindned.

http://blog.al.com/times-views/2012/10/armed_in_alabama_ive_never_fir.html#incart_river_default

And on the other hand, I believe this is a far more accurate description of the author and his "article" (paragraphs added for readability):

navy1942
"Mr. Wendt,
My response to the line of stories regarding "guns" will be harsh. Your open mindedness is fake. If it were real you would already know why we have a second amendment to the Constitution and exactly why the Founders didn't place restrictions on it. Moreover, if you had chosen to eliminate your ignorance with a whole understanding of ".... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." You would be advocating the complete elminination of "gun control" laws and the advancement of the notion that every eligible adult should be armed, just as every eligible adult should vote.

I am beyond disgusted and disheartened by your liberal bent to control the freedom of individuals to suit your world view under the guise of "having a discussion". You don't want to have a discussion about the propoganda abuses of the free press under the first amendement or the States' Rights abuses of the federal government under the tenth amendment. Why is that? If you are concerned about what causes death, why don't you lay out a statistical graph detailing the top 25 causes of death in this country and begin a discussion on eliminating number 1? That is a rhetorical question because I know that type of discussion doesn't fit your world view.

The audacity you demonstrate to want to know if your neighbors have guns is an outrage. It is none of your business and it never will be your business. Just as it is not your business who I vote for or how I worship and why. The ownership and use of tools to protect life, liberty and property, from theft and destruction by individuals and governements, is a God given right, no less than the right to speak your mind in the public square. It should never be a matter of debate or of the question "why do you need it?" It is a right, that I, as a free man, am able to choose to exercise or not exercise, without restriction by you or the government. Sadly, you will never grasp what I have written because you believe you are smarter than others and therefore you know what is best for others."
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Circa 2000 when we got Russ Fine (the old radio host) engaged to begin to lobby to get concealed carry reciprocity for AL (we had none at all) this Moses guy who was head of that organization at that time had some pretty harsh words for me.  I have not forgotten.  He seemed to think the status quo was just fine and I was being way too confrontational with some of the legislators by writing them letters spelling out how backward our laws were.

The Alabama State Rifle & Pistol Association is an organization of what is left of the old NRA bullseye and HiPower shooters, two essentially dead shooting sports when comparted to action pistol, 3 gun, tac rifle, etc.

My experience with him starts back in 1990 when I moved to Huntsville from Seattle and wanted to continue shooting IPSC.  Moses and the B&G bunch wouldn't have anything to do with it.  The only real thing that B&G brings to the table is a 200 yard range.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#7]
^^^ Thanks for that. I had been looking into B&G.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He APPEARS open minded.

Yet demonstrates closed-minded biases and preconceptions all the same.
Admits he doesn't really know what he should about firearms, the culture, but thinks he knows enough to "draw the line" regarding what is reasonable and what isn't.

Not being openly hostile doesn't always = fair and balanced.

It seems to have spurred quite a bit of reasonable discussion, all the same, based on most of the comments.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:....wanted to continue shooting IPSC.  Moses and the B&G bunch wouldn't have anything to do with it.  The only real thing that B&G brings to the table is a 200 yard range.

Ha, I had a bunch of those bullseye guys tell me it was not safe because we would shoot ourselves in the leg, and only professional law enforcement officers should (at their range) be drawing from a holster.  I was a member of magic city range in Birmingham at the time and they had rules against drawing a pistol from a holster on the pistol range back in the 80's and early 90's because of that old NRA competition factions eroneous beliefs....another told me that all of the action shooting was crap because it was not "real marksmanship" and promoted sloppy habits.  Fortunately I fell in with a better crowd in the 90's at Heritage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top