Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2011 6:32:31 PM EDT
We finally have a date again for the Legal Issues class we have held the last 4 years.  It will be August 13th from 10-noon in Trussville.  

This class is for civilian students who wish to learn more about the legal issues related to owning, carrying, and using a firearm for self defense.  This class is taught by a practicing local attorneys from the Birmingham area, with both criminal defense and prosecution experience.  It covers the basics of justifiable use of lethal force for self defense and the law in Alabama that governs carrying a concealed handgun.  This module is included in the NRA Personal Protection in the Home Class.  Typical duration is 2  hours plus ample time to answer all student questions.  The class is taught in a local classroom facility.  

For more details click here

The cost is $45.  Registration and pre-payment of the class fee is required to hold your seat in this class.  Visit our registration page at that web site or contact [email protected] to learn more about reserving your place.  

Then at 1:00 p.m. in the same venue we will hold the Utah CFP class.  

This class has become popular for residents of Alabama and Georgia who seek out the Utah CFP license, especially those who frequently travel to states that do not offer concealed carry permit reciprocity with their home state. . There are several reasons for this.  
-  Utah has better concealed firearm carry permit reciprocity by about 8-9 states, simply because it has a mandatory training requirement, and AL or GA do not.   Some states refuse reciprocity with AL and GA on that basis alone.
- Utah issues CFP's to non-residents, and you can handle the entire process by mail, you don't have to go there to get one.
- Utah is about half the cost of of the other alternative, getting a Florida non-resident license (Utah is less than $70 in fees), FL being one of the other states with better reciprocity because of a training requirement, and FL  issues to non-residents.  Currently the Utah CFP is good for five years with renewals of only $10 every five years as apposed to the $120+ cost for the FL initial permit and each renewal.

The cost is $75, To learn more about the whole Utah CFP click here

Take both classes in the same day for $100 if you register and tell us ARFCOM sent me.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
tagging this one....
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagging as well.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag. I'm out of town at the monent. I'll check my calender but I am very interested.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag. I'm going to try to get in on it this time around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag.  I still need to take the legal course sometime.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged.  Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it true that the Utah License would not be valid for an Alabama resident in Alabama?  I can't find a law to that effect but I saw a post elsewhere.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Hippies.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it true that the Utah License would not be valid for an Alabama resident in Alabama?  I can't find a law to that effect but I saw a post elsewhere.

no, you must have an AL permit in AL if you are a resident of the state, it was written into the reciprocity law
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I gather, you can have both or none.  The out-of-state Utah CCL is just a secondary license.  You need one from your home state before you can apply for one in Utah.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:You need one from your home state before you can apply for one in Utah.  

Incorrect, anyone who takes the class and passes the background checks gets a Utah permit.  There is no stipulation about home state permits, that is one of the reasons it is popular with residents of IL and WI where no such thing exists.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, you must have an AL permit in AL if you are a resident of the state, it was written into the reciprocity law

So I need to keep my Alabama one current even if I have Utah? Interesting....
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:You need one from your home state before you can apply for one in Utah.  

Incorrect, anyone who takes the class and passes the background checks gets a Utah permit.  There is no stipulation about home state permits, that is one of the reasons it is popular with residents of IL and WI where no such thing exists.

From the Utah website: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

One major change in the new law is regarding some non-resident applicants for the Utah concealed firearm permit. If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I stand corrected, I have not read my April newsletter...thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a feeling they were getting flooded with requests from people that may not have been able to get one in their home state.  I bet that could cause problems with reciprocity.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#17]
as of 8/5 about 50% full for both classes on 8/13, meaning plenty of space, about 12 more seats available.

NRA Pistol Instructor Certification class will be taught 9/10-11 by same company at same venue if anyone is interested...more detailshere on the instructor class
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Same classes, Saturday January 14th, 2012 in Trussville at the Marriot Courtyard.   Legal issues class at 10:00 a.m.   Utah CFP at 1:00 p.m.

Same fee struture, $45 for legal issues only, $75 for Utah CFP, both for $100

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Hippies.

Middle sentence, last page:  AL Weapons Law
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Our attorney's for the legal issues class were in a bad automobile accident in late November, but they are recovering nicely and back at work.   Classes for Saturday 1/14 are confirmed.  We will be able to take credit cards after 12/31 via our web site.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of space tomorrow for both classes if anyone wants a seat at the last minute.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Same exact format, same deal as the beginning of this thread, next date is Saturday October 13th, 2012 in Trussville.   Barry and Lara will teach Legal Issues class 10 a.m. until noon $45, Utah CFP at 1 p.m. for $75, $100 gets you both classes.   We will be able to accept credit card payments this time around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What happened to Tennessee recognizing Alabama permits?

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Poor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What happened to Tennessee recognizing Alabama permits?

they fixed their law to be what ours should be, they recognize all state permits, reciprocity or not, from their site:

1.Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.
2.The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.
3.Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
We have almost no registration for the legal issues class at this point, it will be canceled on October 13th.  We will offer Utah CFP class on that date as scheduled since we have enough students.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#26]
My current calhoun county CWP prevents me from carrying in any establishment that serves alcohol.. I don't drink, and according to the Utah DPS website there is no law preventing this in Utah.. would I be exempt from thisvrule or would local rules take precedence over this?

ETA: I have heard that the alcohol rule is only added by some sheriffs and not all counties in alabama have this rule and you must go by what your issuing authority states...
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Alabama law prohibits legal residents of AL from carrying within the state on an out of state permit.  A Utah permit for an AL resident means nothing within the borders of ths state.

I have asked the mods to untack this thread.  We are pretty much done with the legal issues class as we were not able to get enough registrants this time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Understood.. Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#29]
For those who have either registered or expressed an interest, we will hold the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class on Sunday, February 17th from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at the Hampton Inn in Trussville, AL.  This hotel is located at 1940 Edwards Lake Road, Trussville,  AL 35235 and their phone number is 205-655-9777.  Use the Trussville exit on I-459 and it is right next door to the McDonalds at the end of the exit Northbound ramp.

Class fee is $75 due at the end of the class.

There are no plans to offer the legal issues class in 2013.  The mod's may want to untack this post now, as I am not certain when we will be able to offer that particular legal issues class again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would you not do the legal class again?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why would you not do the legal class again?

Lack of interest last year, poor attendance, never been a money maker.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#32]
For those interested in the Legal Issues class, I would encourage you to let Barry Alvis know.  

I have encouraged them to offer this class we worked with them to develop as a service of their law firm going forward.  He and Lara do a great job.  I hope they decide to make it a regular training offering.

W. Barry Alvis and Associates, L.L.C.
2450 Valleydale Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35244

205-444-4773

Alvis and Associates

W. Barry Alvis

[email protected]                                            

205-444-4773 – work
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]
In light of the passage of SB 286, Lara and Barry are composing an update of this legal issues class, and we will begin to offer it again in July.

Hopefully we will have enough information about the implications of the new law to make it a worthwhile refresher for those who have attended in the past.

Stay tuned for details.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#34]
How does the Utah CC license compare to the Arizona CC? Same reciprocity states or what? I was about to go for the AZ license when I saw your post, and made me question which is better and why?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
The Alabama Firearms Training Services, LLC  legal issues class will be taught again on Saturday August 24th at 10:00 a.m. at the Hoover Tactical Firearms classroom in Birmingham.    

The attorney's have updated the material to bring us up to speed on the implications of recently enacted SB286.

Class fee is $50.00 and it will last about 2 hours including time for questions.

We will do Utah CFP in the same classroom at 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. in case anybody needs that ticket punch.   Fee for Utah CFP class is $75.00 and a stamped Utah CFP application will distributed to those who attend.

Reservations required for either class.

email [email protected] to reserve your slot, no deposit required, pay at the door, cash, check or we can swipe cards that Square accepts.

We hope to offer both classes on a quarterly basis going forward and for now the HTF classroom is the best deal for us, we will conduct them there unless something changes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Legal Issues Class will be held on Thursday, January 30th 2014 from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. at Hoover Tactical classroom.  $50 at the door.

Utah CFP will be held on Saturday, January 25th, 2014 from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. at Hoover Tactical's classroom.  $75 at the door.

Reservations required for either class.  Please email alabamafts<at>earthlink.net to confirm your seat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top