Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news and bad news.

for the second time in a year, our attempt to purchase a property has been screwed by structural issues.

The 16 acre property with the pond needs in excess of $42,000 to be viable. It is dead in the water now.

Good news is, we anticipated this, and had some other properties in mind should it fail. I guess this is just part o the process.

We placed an offer in on a 20 acre property in Blount county today. This one is move-in ready, with 3300 square feet of space, and 10 acres of the property is farm land ready to plant crops. It also has a large creek running through it, that runs year-round. It is about 8 feet wide and a few feet deep. The other 10 acres is thick hardwood forest behind the house.

A few pics.

This is the few from the front porch. What you see past the trees is 10 acres of crop-ready land. The creek is on the other side of the field.

That door way you see, is in the basement, and is a 40x8 shipping container that is concreted in on the outside of the foundation. It is a full blown bomb shelter!

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
blount is a good ways from chilton.  guess we wont be neighbors, im still planning on moving to autauga co this month
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

blount is a good ways from chilton.  guess we wont be neighbors, im still planning on moving to autauga co this month

Sorry man!

One of the things we realized is that commuting to Bham from Chilton would be slightly better than suicide with a hot spoon.

From north of Bham, we don't have as much traffic.

I think you'll enjoy Autauga county. I spent my later youth in Prattville. I have a good bit of family there too, so I'll have to stop by once you get settled in.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Being nosey here, but why did the needed repairs disqualify that place in Chilton? Was the owner unwilling to further reduce price, or another reason?

That place in Blount looks nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Being nosey here, but why did the needed repairs disqualify that place in Chilton? Was the owner unwilling to further reduce price, or another reason?

That place in Blount looks nice.

The owner was unwilling to reduce the price, or pay for the repairs. Which, honestly, makes sense. The property was a foreclosure, and the bank was trying to sell it "as is". I can't blame them for refusing to pay a $42k repair bill on a $140k property.

That being said, it was a blessing in disguise, because the property we are trying to buy now is much better.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Blount County, eh?  We may be (practically) neighbors if this one goes through.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, there goes your neighborhood!

I'm really hoping this one goes through. I don't foresee any road-blocks, but hell, my luck hasn't been great.

Our basic criteria has been to have enough room for the family, enough land for my dad to move over here, and for us to raise animals and crops, and a water source.

You'd think that wouldn't be too hard, but here we are, almost 2 years after I started looking.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, there goes your neighborhood!

I'm really hoping this one goes through. I don't foresee any road-blocks, but hell, my luck hasn't been great.

Our basic criteria has been to have enough room for the family, enough land for my dad to move over here, and for us to raise animals and crops, and a water source.

You'd think that wouldn't be too hard, but here we are, almost 2 years after I started looking.

I think you'll like Blount County.  It's kind of hickish, but I suppose most rural areas are.  We have 30something acres of family land on the Locust Fork border.  Close to Jeff Co / Bham, but far enough that the metro flight is slow to catch up to the area, although it is definitely evident by the subdivisions popping up in Hayden closer to the interstate.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Update:

The seller accepted our first offer!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Update:

Inspection finished on Sunday. House is in great shape. Hoping to close in a few weeks.

my (soon to be) front yard:

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Well with all the rain we had this weekend, you would definitely have found any leaks in the structure on Sunday. Plus you will also know which way everything drains, where standing water will collect, and what that creek looks like with heavy rains.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well with all the rain we had this weekend, you would definitely have found any leaks in the structure on Sunday. Plus you will also know which way everything drains, where standing water will collect, and what that creek looks like with heavy rains.

Yep, there was lots of water moving through there yesterday.

I also noticed from the survey that there was a "flood plane" on the other side of the creek, and it was standing in about 2 inches of water.

Good news is that it was only about a half acre that was flooded, so I'm thinking I'll just dig a pond there.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations on finding a better property.  It took us a year to find ours.

The basement shelter and storage is awesome - food will store well, and everyone seems to forget the Russians still have thousands of nukes aimed at us
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Congratulations on finding a better property.  It took us a year to find ours.

The basement shelter and storage is awesome - food will store well, and everyone seems to forget the Russians still have thousands of nukes aimed at us

It was rather humorous because when I saw the shelter, I said "we'll take it!!", without having seen much else. Luckily the rest was nice too.
UPDATE: Appraisal is GTG, seller agreed to fix the minor issues we found which were:

1) basement needed another coat of sealant on the walls

2) dishwasher was leaking

3) stove needed a junction box (exposed wires)

I'm really hoping we close in the next few weeks.

A few more cool pics.

Everything to the left of the driveway (which I share with another person) is mine.

Living room with wood burning fireplace.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I like that den, especially the wood floors.

PS - Looks like you will get a chance to really see what the water runoff/flood plain will be with Round 2 coming in shortly (or probably right now for you).
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget your training officer when the SHTF!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't forget your training officer when the SHTF!

I'll have a spot for ya!

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank, Buddy!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, Buddy!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice place. Me too, I  live in Blount Co. Been living here almost 20 years now, unfortunately I only have about 2 acres

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like a nice place. Me too, I  live in Blount Co. Been living here almost 20 years now, unfortunately I only have about 2 acres

I bet you could farm 1 acre and still feed your family though.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
English peas and potatoes already in the ground
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

English peas and potatoes already in the ground

shit! no fair! I don't have ground yet.....

Update: we are in underwriting at my lender. The only way this could fail now would be my own fault.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Loan is approved, we close Monday at 11.

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

^ +10000000000000000000
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Oops..double tap  

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Oops..double tap  

Double taps are welcome here!

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

let me know when you settle in.  I'll have to learn you about the North Jefferson area best eateries and so on.

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

let me know when you settle in.  I'll have to learn you about the North Jefferson area best eateries and so on.

Sounds great, will do!

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That's great, B! Can't wait to see your new place!
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Keep posting pics as you go along also!

I've been lurking around in this thread for a while. I would love to have a place out in the country one day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
We closed today! The farm is mine!!!! Muahhhhahhahahah!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#34]
congrats.  I move to Prattville at the end of this week, and will start looking at land/houses there.  really would like to get at least 10 if not 20 acres and be able to make a nice shooting lane down it
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome, B! I can't wait to see your new place! See you Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Awesome, B! I can't wait to see your new place! See you Saturday.

As soon as we get moved in, we are going to have a bbq!

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats!

May your SHTF Kingdom/lair be everything you wanted!

Any more pics?
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Congrats!

May your SHTF Kingdom/lair be everything you wanted!

Any more pics?

Since you asked!

Everything to the left of the road is mine.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sweet! congrats!

We need to hit The Hickory Chip BBQ in Clanton sometime.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#41]

I share it with one other guy, so mostly, yea.

He is old and doesn't drive, and has no family, so if there is traffic on the road, its mine, or its suspicious.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet! congrats!

Sounds good! I'm about 2 hours away from Clanton though. We ended up not getting the house in Jemison because of water damage and mold. We are now in Blount County.

I get down that way pretty often though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet! congrats!

Sounds good! I'm about 2 hours away from Clanton though. We ended up not getting the house in Jemison because of water damage and mold. We are now in Blount County.  

Cool - I read through the last couple of pages of this thread late this afternoon, the property looks wonderful.  I forsee many a morning with hot coffee looking down at the deer sleeping in the field.

I live in Birmingham but we have waterfront property on lake Mitchell.  Let me know if you'd like to go fishing sometime and we'll setup a day.  Cheers.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet! congrats!

Cool - I read through the last couple of pages of this thread late this afternoon, the property looks wonderful.  I forsee many a morning with hot coffee looking down at the deer sleeping in the field.

I live in Birmingham but we have waterfront property on lake Mitchell.  Let me know if you'd like to go fishing sometime and we'll setup a day.  Cheers.

Sounds great! I'm a huge fan of some crappie or bass fishing. Got my own boat and a half dozen bait casters to boot.

So we are about 90% moved to the new house. Pics inbound once we get well moved in, and I'm going to drop by the local LEO hangout and discuss having an arfcom shoot this summer.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#45]
660 ft of fence will be delivered in the AM. I'll have a long sweaty weekend.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#46]
fence delivery pushed out to Tuesday.

Also, I discovered just how friggin expensive tractors are this weekend.... I'm unsure how I'm going to obtain one at a reasonable price.

Found out my neighbor is a sleazy, slimy, dirtbag.

Also, here are some pics from this weekend.

The dogs saw cows for the first time.... I'm pretty sure they thought they were large squirrels.

This is the creek that runs through the middle of the property.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Also, I discovered just how friggin expensive tractors are this weekend.... I'm unsure how I'm going to obtain one at a reasonable price.

I whole-heartedly recommend Mahindra.

Do tell about the neighbor.

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Im here, arrived in Prattville today. Have already got some leads on some different properties.  Right now gotta get my apartment all straightened out its a huge mess
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I whole-heartedly recommend Mahindra.

Do tell about the neighbor.

I will look into Mahindra, never heard of them before.

Regarding the neighbor, he is just a weasel. In our 20 minute introductory conversation, he tried to get me to buy into about 3 different "ideas" he had for my land, all of which would involve my money, and nothing but profit for him.

His family owned about 50 acres here, and it was split between him and his sister. The sister lived on the 20 acres I'm on now until her husband died, and she lost the property back in 2009. Well, he kept the property up for her in exchange for pretty much using the property for whatever he wanted. He continued to do this while the property was on the market, and now, he isn't thrilled that I'm there because he can't do as he pleases with my land.

He wants me to pay him to cut the brush around the creek, pay him to maintain the "easement" (which is a city maintained road), and let him farm the 10+ acres of field for $200 a year.

He also gives off a creepy ass vibe, like that of a child molester/rapist. He has exactly one tooth left in his head (no, I'm not kidding) and that one sticks out of his mouth at a weird angle. He has long stringy black hair with a bald spot in the middle of his head the size of a softball. And is scrawny and weak looking, but with a nice beer gut sticking out.

His father died last month, and cut him out of the family money, but left him with the note on the 18 acres he has left. So basically, he is the runt of the family, and is tight on cash, so he's looking for "deals" wherever he can find them.

*shudder*

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Im here, arrived in Prattville today. Have already got some leads on some different properties.  Right now gotta get my apartment all straightened out its a huge mess

Very cool man, glad you could make it. You'll want to look in the pine level area (north of p-ville) for land, it might not be as cheap as it used to be, but its a nice area.

Also, let me know if you need anything, I have a lot of family in P-ville.

Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top