Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey guys, will be traveling to talladega in october, can you guys tell me about carrying in AL. I have TN Permit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I wish that the mods would put a sticky with this info.

www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Section 13A-11-71
Committing crime when armed; evidence of intent.

If any person shall commit or attempt to commit a crime of violence when armed with a pistol, he may, in addition to the punishment provided for the crime, be punished also as provided by this division. In the trial of a person for committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence, the fact that he was armed with a pistol and had no license to carry the same shall be prima facie evidence of his intention to commit said crime of violence.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §173; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-151.)
Section 13A-11-72
Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol.

(a) No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(b) No person who is a drug addict or an habitual drunkard shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

(f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.

(g) The term "deadly weapon" as used in this section means a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade, missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any club, baton, billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckles.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §174; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-152; Acts 1994, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 94-817, §1.)

Section 13A-11-73
License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Required.

No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §175; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §3; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Acts 1956, 2nd Ex. Sess., No. 43, p. 336; Code 1975, §13-6-153.)

Section 13A-11-84
Penalties; seizure and disposition of pistols involved in violations of certain sections.

(a) Every violation of subsection (a) of Section 13A-11-72 or of Sections 13A-11-81 or 13A-11-82 shall be punishable by imprisonment for not more than five years. Every violation of subsection (b) of Section 13A-11-72 or of Sections 13A-11-73, 13A-11-74 and 13A-11-77 through 13A-11-80 shall be punishable by imprisonment for any term less than one year or by a fine of not more than $500.00, or both. The punishment for violating Section 13A-11-78 or 13A-11-79 may include revocation of license.

Section 13A-11-85
Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
My son is a resident of Florida. He is a minor league baseball player who was just assigned to play in Alabama.

He holds a Florida CCW permit.  Can he legally carry in Alabama?

I've tried to research, but I'm just getting more confused.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By GardeningAngel:

My son is a resident of Florida. He is a minor league baseball player who was just assigned to play in Alabama.

He holds a Florida CCW permit.  Can he legally carry in Alabama?

Yes.

Link Posted: 7/21/2009 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BUSHWKER:
USUALLY THEY WILL GIVE YOU A MAP SIMULAR TO THIS AT THE SHERRIFS OFFICE WHEN I GET MY PERMIT RENEWED.ITS NOT A BAD PIECE OF INFO TO HAVE.I TOOK MY 9MM TO OHIO TO MEET MY EX-INLAWS, AND DIDNT FIND OUT TILL LATER OHIO DOESNT EVEN ISSUE CCW PERMITS.I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN DEEP SHIT IF I HAD GOTTEN CAUGHT.I STILL THINK IT WOULD BE A LOT LESS CONFUSING IF WE HAD A NATIONWIDE PERMIT,  

it would probably end up being much more restrictive than the ones you can get in the south east, I mean you would be letting California, Maine and the federal (like nancy) tell AL govs and such how guns should be handled, or lack of handled.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You all know that this is printed on your AL carry permit!
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 10:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shermantor-AR15] [#7]
Originally Posted By vicfeldman:
You all know that this is printed on your AL carry permit!

Not sure what you are refering too, but I do know that each county's permit issued is different and some are the same.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know why Tennessee dropped Reciprocity with Alabama?

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Children.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
okay, I know you have probably heard this already. I am from oklahoma and will be going to alabama for vacation.  I understand that I can carry concealed there with my license.  Does alabama have any laws about printing or if my shirt happens to come up and my weapon is temporarily exposed?  In Oklahoma i dont have to worry about that because we have open carry, but im not sure about your fine state.  Any clarification would be of great help
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:04:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbod] [#10]
Originally Posted By wade231:
okay, I know you have probably heard this already. I am from oklahoma and will be going to alabama for vacation.  I understand that I can carry concealed there with my license.  Does alabama have any laws about printing or if my shirt happens to come up and my weapon is temporarily exposed?  In Oklahoma i dont have to worry about that because we have open carry, but im not sure about your fine state.  Any clarification would be of great help

Alabama is an open carry state as long as you are on foot (not in a vehicle). Apparently people have been charged with creating a public disturbance or disorderly conduct for carrying openly.  The governor just signed SB286 that addresses that issue along with lots of other gun law changes.  

http://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB286/id/849320/Alabama-2013-SB286-Enrolled.pdf

New laws are effective August 1 2013

AL 2013 SB286

(c) It shall be a rebuttable presumption that the mere carrying of a visible pistol, holstered or secured, in a public place, in and of itself, is not a violation of  this section.

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just to double check, but my VA concealed handgun permit is good to go in Alabama now, correct?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
So Florida does or does not honor Alabama carry permits?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cubie] [#13]
Alabama is a gun friendly place in my AO.  You don’t even have to disclose that you’re carrying a concealed weapon when being pulled over in Alabama.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.etowahcountysheriff.com/files/Pistol-Permit-Reciprocity.pdf
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top