Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2017 3:45:39 PM EDT
I am going to soon be living in Indiana, moving from Texas, and have read up on some of the gun laws.  I have noticed that unless you have your license to carry, you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle, is there a push to change this law?  In Texas, it is perfectly legal for a non licensed individual to carry a loaded firearm or any sort in their vehicle and easily accessible.  

Another question I have, being from Texas, licensed or not and concerning handguns.  As long as you are on your own personal property.  You can have your handgun on you openly or concealed.  Rifles and shotguns, there are no restrictions to carrying them on or off your property.  

Is there a push to change any of this for the better, IE being allowed to carry a firearm legally in your vehicle without a license or even constitutional carry?  

I would also have to ask what are some of the knife laws?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Carrying anything on your property is no problem. You can carry a long gun in your car, on your body etc. in any condition; no license - that is correct. Constitutional Carry has been introduced but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to get it through. At least our handgun licenses are good for your  lifetime (no renewals) and don't have a bunch of bs to go through - no training, classes etc. maybe someday CC will become a reality but it doesn't seem like it will be soon. Automatic knives are gtg no blade length restrictions. Knives are no problem. Signs have no force of law, do not have to inform. Churches, bars are gtg (with a License To Carry a Handgun). LTCH is what we call them here.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for all the information.  I will be seeing about getting my LTCH once I get up there in a couple of days.  I will of course have to show some proof of residency once up there.  I hope I do not have to wait the full 6 months and can show a bill or maybe rental agreement.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Now it's been decades ago for me but I don't believe you have to be here a minimum amount of time. Just have an IN residence and not be a resident of any other State. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the BMV and get your Indiana driver license (you'll need a couple documents that show your Indiana address, like a rental agreement, utility bill, etc.), then use the temporary license they give you to apply for your carry license.  There's no waiting period - you can get everything done on day one if you want.  My license took a week and a half to arrive in my mailbox after I submitted my application.  

You can get a 4-year license or a lifetime - may as well go for the lifetime one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a question. The Chief of Police were I live wants me to submit a "Letter for Justification" on why I want to CCW. Anyone else have to do this? Any ideas on what I need to include in the letter to make the approval have a better chance? I'm not sure why this is required... didn't need it for my last CCW from my previous state.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a question. The Chief of Police were I live wants me to submit a "Letter for Justification" on why I want to CCW. Anyone else have to do this? Any ideas on what I need to include in the letter to make the approval have a better chance? I'm not sure why this is required... didn't need it for my last CCW from my previous state.
View Quote
Indiana is "shall issue", so if you aren't ineligible, they are supposed to issue.  Period.  

I just took a quick look around and here's some additional info from smartgunlaws.org:

"Indiana is a “shall issue” state, meaning that the Indiana State Police (ISP) must issue a concealed weapons license if the applicant meets certain qualifications. The Superintendent of the Indiana State Police (Superintendent) shall issue a license to carry a handgun if it appears that the applicant:
Has a proper reason for carrying a handgun (i.e., “for the defense of oneself or the state of Indiana;”4 )..."

Footnote 4: "See Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-1-8; Schubert v. DeBard, 398 N.E.2d 1339, 1341 (Ind. Ct. App. 1980). "

From Schubert v. DeBard: "We think it clear that our constitution provides our citizenry the right to bear arms for their self-defense. Furthermore, in Matthews v. State, supra, our Supreme Court held that if it is determined under IC 35-23-4.1-5 that the applicant has met the conditions of the statute, the superintendent has no discretion to withhold the license. 148 N.E.2d 337."

Interesting court case.  It spells out quite clearly that "the defense of oneself " is appropriate justification.  There you go.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Why does it not surprise me that some police departments want to question our rights.  Sadly, in Texas, they are still struggling with constitutional carry because many big city police department chiefs and associations want to continue to restrict their rights.  Not to mention many of the businesses that now make their money on the classes.  They were against it as well because they would lose money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
He has no authority to require that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He has no authority to require that.
View Quote
Theu used to do that here too. Just put self defense. A long winded explanation works against you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
self defense and all legal purposes.

Obviously not a lawyer though
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
This goes back many, many years but there was a spot on the application to write down a reason. Guy must still think it's 35 years ago 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Former Indiana resident here, the correct answer to that question is simply, personal protection.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC the "permitting" thing for a handgun in the vehicle changed a few years back. The new regs state the pistol must be in a secured case, not readily accessible, and unloaded. This was passed in 2011 as SEA 506 to amend I.C. 35-47-2-1 and is referred to as subsection (b).

Point is you no longer need a "permit" to carry the pistol in your vehicle provided it meets the above criteria when carried in the vehicle. Also IIRC companies are forbidden from making policy to the effect "you can't store your gun securely in your vehicle on company property".
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an update on what happened with this.

So I spend a day or so getting the letter figured out. Tried to prove my point without seeming to be a prick about it. Get down to the PD office and the girl at the desk (not to same one I talked to before) told me that the letter was no longer needed and asked who told me I needed to write one in the first place. I looked and her and said "Look at your website." She did and shook her head. Appears they never updated the website when they changed policies. So... paid my fee, and the permit was in my hands in about a week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Aw man, we all got worked up for nothing!

Congrats, glad it worked out smoothly for you in the end.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reminded me of the BS we used to have to go through in Michigan.  Before we ditched the gun board, you'd have to sit in front of a group of people that could turn you down for any reason.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a question.  When doing an online application for my LTCH, I saw an option for target and hunting.  What is that license about?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#19]
You used to have to have a license to take a handgun out shooting at a range or out hunting - that changed a while back.  (see IC 35-47-2-1)

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
         (5) the person carries the handgun:(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or(C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity; 

You don't want that one, unless you are only going to be here for a handful of years get the lifetime personal protection one
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Well,  Got approved on 7/19, now just waiting on my license to show up in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well,  Got approved on 7/19, now just waiting on my license to show up in the mail.
View Quote
Welcome to Indiana!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am going to soon be living in Indiana, moving from Texas, and have read up on some of the gun laws.  I have noticed that unless you have your license to carry, you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle, is there a push to change this law?  In Texas, it is perfectly legal for a non licensed individual to carry a loaded firearm or any sort in their vehicle and easily accessible.  

Another question I have, being from Texas, licensed or not and concerning handguns.  As long as you are on your own personal property.  You can have your handgun on you openly or concealed.  Rifles and shotguns, there are no restrictions to carrying them on or off your property.  

Is there a push to change any of this for the better, IE being allowed to carry a firearm legally in your vehicle without a license or even constitutional carry?  

I would also have to ask what are some of the knife laws?  
View Quote

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

You are correct that you need a license or permit to carry or possess your handgun in a vehicle when it's ready to use.  Keep in mind that your Texas permit is good here until you become an Indiana resident.  Once you are a resident, you'll need you Indiana License to Carry Handgun.  The upside is that you can get the lifetime version of the LTCH.

Our laws don't differentiate between open or concealed carry.

You don't need a license or permit on your own property.

No license or permit is needed to carry/possess long guns.

Yes, there are efforts to implement "Constitutional carry" legislation, but as of yet there is little success.

Knife laws are pretty good with respect to the State.  Autos are no longer illegal and there are no blade length restrictions.  Municipalities may have more stringent knife ordinances, but you'll have to check those by the town or county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top