Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2017 6:59:25 PM EDT
Hey, Lake County residents.  Who are you putting down as the CLEO on Form 1's post 41F?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I put down the chief of police of my town.
Go to the PD and ask for the chief's secretary and ask her to Forward to him.
Done
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, was wondering if there are any other options. A few years back tried to get something signed as an individual and the chief of police wouldn't sign off on it as he didn't "believer in it".  So I'd rather he not be notified if there are other legitimate options available.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
So I called the Lake County Sheriff's office and here is what I found out. The investigations division is who ends up with these forms. Spoke to the Sgt there and he said just to send it to the Sheriff's office and they know to send it to investigations division. Asked them if they've been getting many of these and he said they get a couple per month. Info he gave:

Lake County Sheriff's Department
2293 N. Main Street
Crown Point, IN 46307

If anyone has any other recommendations, either county or state CLEO's, please post their information so, perhaps, we can create a working data base.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you misunderstand the changes brought about by 41F. There is no longer a CLEO CERTIFICATION, it is now just a NOTIFICATION. There is nothing for them to sign anymore, you just certify that you sent them a copy of the form on the ATF form 1/4. Many of the CLEO's do not yet know this, although BATFE sent out a letter to agencies about it.

From the ATF FAQ...

- after July 12, 2016, CLEO certification is no longer required but applicants must send a copy of the application to make or transfer NFA firearms to their chief law enforcement officer notifying them of the application.
From the back of one of the new Form 1's...

Information for the Chief Law Enforcement Officer
This form provides notification of the applicant's intent to make and register a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. No action on your part is required. However, should you
have information that may disqualify this person from making or possessing a firearm, please contact the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500 or [email protected]. A "Yes" answer to
items 11.a through 11.h or 13.b or 13.c could disqualify a person from acquiring or possessing a firearm. Also, ATF will not approve an application if the making or possession of
the firearm is in violation of State or local law.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
No, I understand that it's only NOTIFICATION.  I would just rather not NOTIFY a CLEO that had those objections if there are other options available to me.  Just my preference.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I understand that it's only NOTIFICATION.  I would just rather not NOTIFY a CLEO that had those objections if there are other options available to me.  Just my preference.
View Quote
Since it is only a notification and they do not therefore need to respond or even know what it means just notify someone other than the local Lake county CLEO. The BATFE also accepts the following (from the BATFE's FAQ)...

"The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top