Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 7:34:16 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about the realities of living in Carmel vs Brownsburg? We're looking at real estate in both areas and neither one looks too bad from 1800 miles away.

Anything to be wary of? Any other place we should look instead? We would be looking at new or new-ish construction in a subdivision in both cases.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Carmel gets some pretty heavy traffic during rush hour. Carmel is expensive as well. Brownsburg didn't used to be as pricey but it's been a LONG time since I've looked at the market around Indy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input. We're watching the prices and frankly the real estate in both areas is so much less expensive than here that we're kind of in a good form of sticker shock.

Are there any specific areas that we should make a point of avoiding? I don't know anything about the social layout of the town, "ghetto" areas, college disaster party neighborhoods, etc. I have no real grasp on the demographics of the areas, ethnic makeup, etc. Seattle is so rich and vibrant, and has so much traffic,  that my meters are going to require some recalibration.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Carmel is considered the "Ritsy" part of the Indianapolis area and is very nice.  I would avoid the Eastside of Indianapolis and the west/southwest side.  In reality there are only a few "bad" areas around Indy that you should certainly avoid.  Just north, east and west of downtown can be very sketchy.  Those areas are very rich and vibrant.  If you can afford Carmel I would do it.  Traffic will be nothing compared to Seattle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If your looking at Carmel you may want to give Zionsville a look too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Brownsburg is cheaper tax wise but is getting more diverse by the day. Carmel has about everything (restaurants,shopping,etc) but has high taxes. I'd second the Zionsville mention.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a home in Brownsburg and the market moves pretty fast out here, somethings to consider do you have school age kids? Brownsburg is one of the best school districts in the State and Carmel has the largest highschool in the State. If you have some specific questions let me know
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Carmel is great. Good area, great schools. The traffic is an absolute nightmare.

Brownsburg is nice as well.

There are areas that I wouldn't live near both.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought a home in Brownsburg and the market moves pretty fast out here, somethings to consider do you have school age kids? Brownsburg is one of the best school districts in the State and Carmel has the largest highschool in the State. If you have some specific questions let me know
View Quote
Thanks for the offer. Schools are not an issue any more. My youngest will be out of state at law school. Her big sister will just be looking for an entry level job somewhere. So far, we have done a good bit of window shopping on the internet, but we're avoiding falling in love with any specific house. We're planning to get over that way for a few days in March, and we'll get more serious then. I want to travel through the neighborhoods a little, watch the people, maybe do a little shopping in the local stores and take a trip out to dinner before we jump on anything. You really can't get the feel for anything on a computer screen, with pictures designed to only show you the good side of things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offer. Schools are not an issue any more. My youngest will be out of state at law school. Her big sister will just be looking for an entry level job somewhere. So far, we have done a good bit of window shopping on the internet, but we're avoiding falling in love with any specific house. We're planning to get over that way for a few days in March, and we'll get more serious then. I want to travel through the neighborhoods a little, watch the people, maybe do a little shopping in the local stores and take a trip out to dinner before we jump on anything. You really can't get the feel for anything on a computer screen, with pictures designed to only show you the good side of things.
View Quote

Carmel is nice, lots of nicer things in life located in that area. Traffic for Central Indiana is the worse there.(its all perspective though, if you were from Chicago its not even comparable) Brownsburg is more middle class, to lower middle class. The city planners have done a horrible job planning for the future traffic problems that they are going through now. I moved out of Indy 7 years ago and ended up in the Monrovia area, low to no traffic. Close access to I-70 and 22 minutes to downtown Indy(which is where we go for dinner and entertainment). This area is working class though and doesnt offer anything other than a rural lifestyle. (I live on a private lake). If you need someone to show you around where youre in town send me a pm and I would be glad to give you my 2 cents worth of Central Indiana.  Ive spent 24 years here as a contractor and the last handful as a police officer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Carmel is nice, lots of nicer things in life located in that area. Traffic for Central Indiana is the worse there.(its all perspective though, if you were from Chicago its not even comparable) Brownsburg is more middle class, to lower middle class. The city planners have done a horrible job planning for the future traffic problems that they are going through now. I moved out of Indy 7 years ago and ended up in the Monrovia area, low to no traffic. Close access to I-70 and 22 minutes to downtown Indy(which is where we go for dinner and entertainment). This area is working class though and doesnt offer anything other than a rural lifestyle. (I live on a private lake). If you need someone to show you around where youre in town send me a pm and I would be glad to give you my 2 cents worth of Central Indiana.  Ive spent 24 years here as a contractor and the last handful as a police officer.
View Quote

I second this idea, there are a few really nice "cities" that are 20-25 minutes from downtown Indy that are just as safe as a Carmel/Brownsburg and a lot less expensive.  Monrovia is on the SW side of town, Greenfield, which is equally as far out, is on the east side.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Generally, don't buy anything inside Marion county/ 465 loop. Indy's problem children/FSA are moving into Avon and Brownsburg, especially in the last 10 years. Hamilton counties relative high cost of living keeps most of the crime out, but traffic congestion is a headache.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
465 was built as a containment barrier.  It has been breeched in Brownsburg, Avon, Greenwood, Camby and Lawrence.  Urban crime is in apartment housing outside the city.
If you want a place to shoot and some outbuildings, Hancock and Shelby county are very affordable for 5 acre 3bd homes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Generally, don't buy anything inside Marion county/ 465 loop. Indy's problem children/FSA are moving into Avon and Brownsburg, especially in the last 10 years. Hamilton counties relative high cost of living keeps most of the crime out, but traffic congestion is a headache.
View Quote

Yep, this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are still looken might help......

http://www.movoto.com/guide/indianapolis-in/best-indianapolis-suburbs/
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this.
+87

I grew up inner city, Rhodius, "The Hill".

Nothing inside the 465 loop. I I absolutely have to go back inside I feel about the same as I did in Chicago ten years ago.

I live thirty minutes west, the outlying counties are nice.

Like others said above, avoid east and southwest.

Email me with questions.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+87

Nothing inside the 465 loop. I I absolutely have to go back inside I feel about the same as I did in Chicago ten years ago.

Email me with questions.

Good Luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this.
+87

Email me with questions.

Good Luck!
We're in town today to look at some places. Mostly on the east and north sides, nothing inside the loop.  There is at least one in the general direction of Greenfield. Any input on that? I know it's still closer to Indy than Greenfield, but not much more. Maybe near fire station 55?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
That seems out far enough.

Depends on your drive in though.

Google earth the fire station.

One of the plants my wife is responsible for is on Kitley. Not terrible, not great.

Inside the loop closer to the fairgrounds is probably the worst. Around College Avenue and 38th street.

In the mid nineties I did contract work for the city of Indianapolis parks.

More than once in that area at three p.m. Police told me I would have my gear loaded up and be gone by three thirty.

I went to Indianapolis Public Schools k-12.

I would pay for private school before I sent my kids to I.P.S.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That seems out far enough.

Depends on your drive in though.

Google earth the fire station.

One of the plants my wife is responsible for is on Kitley. Not terrible, not great.

Inside the loop closer to the fairgrounds is probably the worst. Around College Avenue and 38th street.

In the mid nineties I did contract work for the city of Indianapolis parks.

More than once in that area at three p.m. Police told me I would have my gear loaded up and be gone by three thirty.

I went to Indianapolis Public Schools k-12.

I would pay for private school before I sent my kids to I.P.S.
View Quote
Fortunately my kids are grown and I'm semi-retired/work part time from home, so no commute worries any more! 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#19]
We just got done spending a couple of days hitting the high points with a local broker. We dropped an offer on a place east of Franklin Township, and it looks like the sellers took the bait.

Now I just need to sell our current place and make the jump.  It's going to be a bumpy ride!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck.

Hope it goes smooth, and fast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Gret info here.  We're headed to the Indy area also.  We did look inside the loop, around the Williams Creek area, very nice, but otherwise, Carmel and Zionsville are our targets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#22]
We started looking at Zionsville and Carmel. After looking at the kinds of new developments going in and the general "temper" of the north side, it started to feel like the area we're trying to move away from. New, young, trendy, overly PC, and trying to prove they're the hip kids. Seemed A LOT like the east side of Seattle 20 years ago. It's great if that's what you like, but it just wasn't right for us now. We don't have kids in school, we don't commute to office jobs, we're not into lounging in the city square listening to live alternative jazz. Just not for us at this point in our life. We choose to get out of town just a little, somewhere that's not so close to the bleeding edge. 

Just how how it felt to us. YMMV. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, we do some work for the town of Fishers - which is the same area and same kind of neighborhood. They tell us stories of the snowflakes living there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top