Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2016 11:43:19 AM EDT
Please bear with me, this requires a bit of explanation. My wife's grandmother is moving into an assisted-living facility and selling her house, because it's falling apart and she can't afford to maintain it, and she can't live on her own any more (can't take out the trash, change light bulbs, do laundry, or get the mail, etc.).

The problem is, sometimes she forgets that she's moving, or changes her mind, or both. Most recently, she called the sheriff to have her own daughter (wife's mom) forcibly removed from the house, where she had been packing grandma's things to take to the retirement home. Deputies would not let her take her suitcase (she was staying there for a couple weeks) or get her car out of the garage.

The other problem is the two cousins. Both have multiple DUIs. One is chronically unemployed and permanently barred from having a driver's license in Indiana, though he has been known to drive grandma's car occasionally. The other was fired from a police department for psychological issues, but was hired for a desk job in some other agency (not sure what, but I didn't think it was an actual police department), and was recently issued a gun to go with his badge. Between the two of them, they've swindled grandma out of her entire $100k+ retirement savings over the last 8 years, which they drank and smoked (various plant matters) away with nothing to show for it. Which is part of why she has to sell the house to pay for living in the retirement home.

So grandma, still trusting the cousins, gave them keys to her house, for some reason. Depending on the day, it's so they can pack things up to take to the retirement home, or to move her back in, or ???

While my wife's mom was locked out, the cousins tortured her cat, then put a mattress on top of it to keep it from roaming around the house. It was barely alive when she got back into the house.

Grandma needs to get moved out, and the house needs to be cleaned up so the realtor can fix it up and sell it. But needless to say, nobody feels safe and the police obviously aren't going to take sides. The wife has to go to Indiana to help, because if the house doesn't get sold, grandma gets kicked out of the retirement home, and she can't move back into the house because she's completely incapable of living by herself.

So, the question I guess is this. My wife has a MO carry license, and will be carrying. If grandma goes crazy again and calls the police, is my wife going to get arrested for carrying a gun during commission of a "crime?"

That may have been more backstory that is necessary, but maybe I needed to vent, too.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Your wife needs to talk to an attorney specializing in elderly matters.  She will probably need to be appointed legal guardianship among other things.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a lawyer battle unfortunately. Get the power of attorney and things will get insta-better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top