Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2015 9:04:44 PM EDT
Hello neighbors!

What are some of the differences between Indiana and Kentucky with regard to gun laws specifically?

For example, I've heard traveling in KY with guns, including rifles
and machineguns, loaded or unloaded, in a vehicle,  including inside
factory compartments is a non issue in KY, even without a Concealed
Deadly Weapons License.   Supposedly,  such may present issuses in IN.

KY seens to have an issue with guns in bars.   I've heard it is less of an issue in IN.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Indiana

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
delete
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Private businesses may restrict or forbid firearms on their properties."

Really?   So, signs carry the weight of law?   That would be unlike KY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Indiana

"Private businesses may restrict or forbid firearms on their properties."

Really?   So, signs carry the weight of law?   That would be unlike KY.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is more reliable than Wikipedia. They didn't even cite their source, which should be really easy since the law is plainly posted on every state's website.

As far as signs, it depends on what you mean by weight of law. You won't get busted for unlawful carrying of a firearm, but it's pretty easy to get busted for criminal trespass in both states depending on the property.
In fact per KRS 237.110 in KY signs prohibiting CCDW on businesses DO have weight of law, the weight is just a feather because the only penalties attached are that they can forcibly remove you without having to meet the definition of criminal trespass. The signs also do not generally meet the definition of warning required by KY for criminal trespassing, but there are exceptions to that also.

Indiana is actually LESS strict, because a business open to the public is inviting people to enter which is an exemption to criminal trespass under Indiana Code 35-43-2. Although, at the same time a sign saying persons carrying firearms are prohibited (not just 'no firearms') would reasonably be non-inviting persons with firearms while satisfying the requirement that notice be communicated.

Laws are all situational, but my rule of thumb is that if a place has a no firearms sign I don't go there. I can't stand up for a right to bear arms and then try to be an asshole and trample all over a private property owner's absolute right to control their property and who uses it. If you don't like the rules and regulations DON'T GO THERE.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem with long guns in IN, Bar carry no issue in IN. Signs do not have the force of law. Just remember if you carry on a KY permit here then you have to follow KY as well as IN laws - weird I know.

35-47-2-21

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign
countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only
while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always wondered why Indiana doesn't have it's own Knob Creek type of range. Or, to expand on that, why is Knob Creek in Kentucky and not Indiana?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Not as much interbreeding.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Locked until Clint...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top