Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2015 1:24:14 AM EDT
Wife and I are looking into doing one of these trips.
First off, neither one of us has done anything likes this so any tips is appreciated.
I found one on Sugar Creek in Turkey Run SP, also found one just east of Hoosier Forest on the Blue River.
Sugar Creek has a 3 mile and the Blue River has a 7 mile. leaning towards the 3 miles because we're novices.
I'm also leaning towards kayak over canoe.
Anyone done one of these?
We was thinking about going over Labor Day weekend but they might be really crowded being the last "big" weekend of the season/year.
Any other places we could look into in the southern part of the state?

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue River is pretty mild the 7 mile run will only take a few hours.  We used to go all the time when we were kids.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you look at blues canoes on sugar creek/blue?
http://www.bluescanoelivery.com/trips.htm

These are fairly easy depending on recent rain.  I have floated much of the area with nothing more than a swiftwater suit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you look at blues canoes on sugar creek/blue?

http://www.bluescanoelivery.com/trips.htm

These are fairly easy depending on recent rain.  I have floated much of the area with nothing more than a swiftwater suit.
View Quote
Looking for some place closer to Evansville for a 1 day trip, but will book mark it for later when we'll do a long weekend.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Sugar creek is pretty easy and depending on rain fall you can get some low spots or some fast moving areas with some dead falls in them. The last few trips we took there we camped and took the dog , so canoe was the best option for us.

People were generally nice and it does get crowded at certain points and There are plenty of places to stop and eat or take a pee break if needed.

For a beginner this is a good start and I would take the kayak option if I were you. Just pack a couple of smaller coolers for the tip.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We did the Blue River canoe trip once.  I recommend doing it after a good rain when there is some higher water so you don't bottom out too much in the shallow runs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We did the Blue River canoe trip once.  I recommend doing it after a good rain when there is some higher water so you don't bottom out too much in the shallow runs.
View Quote

We decided to do this one over Labor Day weekend.
Yeah I noticed the water level is low, but we'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two different "outfitters" on the Blue River.  One, and closer to you, is Cave Country in Milltown. The other is located at Fredricksburg, which is further upstream from Milltown. (Located on US 150, about 20??? miles west of Exit 119 (I-64)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Two different "outfitters" on the Blue River.  One, and closer to you, is Cave Country in Milltown. The other is located at Fredricksburg, which is further upstream from Milltown. (Located on US 150, about 20??? miles west of Exit 119 (I-64)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're going with Cave Country
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]

My wife and I did this every year for the last 6 until just this past year.
I actually bought a canoe we like it so much. But our baby has sidetracked that.  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top