Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2015 1:06:04 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm moving from California to start my masters at Notre Dame. While I am glad to be out of that miserable state, I need some help.

My apartment is no-go for firearms and I don't think it's exactly safe to store one there anyhow. If anyone has room in their safe, we may be able to work something out. Won't be bringing a whole lot - one AR and one handgun at most, along with optics.

Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Find a different apartment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a different apartment.
View Quote

It actually must have been some kind of fluke to find one that is a no go.  One AR and one handgun is usually what people have laying around the house or in the car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is the apartment a "no-go"?

It's not illegal unless the apartment is a school/daycare as well ... at most it's a violation of your lease and grounds for getting the boot, but I doubt that will ever happen.

FWIW, in college I had a close shooting buddy that had a lease at an apartment where it was terms of the lease to not have firearms. He had numerous firearms... and he wasn't super discreet about it and still didn't have any problems.

Ger renters ins. that will cover the contents of your apt. and live your life. Or find another apt...
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Apartment must be on campus , so guns a no go.

I'd like to help you out , but the liability issue holding a gun for someone I dont know much about is a little concerning. You can PM me to discuss if you run out of options.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Apartment must be on campus , so guns a no go.

I'd like to help you out , but the liability issue holding a gun for someone I dont know much about is a little concerning. You can PM me to discuss if you run out of options.

View Quote

Guns may be against campus policy, but they are not illegal on campus... everyone must make the risk vs. reward calculation themselves.

Risks: get kicked out of school

Rewards: can defend yourself, don't have to find/trust somebody else for storage

Obviously the risk of getting kicked out varies greatly depending on location/school/offense. When I was in college (a school here in IN) a fellow on my floor got caught shooting squirrels out of his dorm window, on campus, with a .22 rifle. They took the rifle, told him to pick it up next time he went home so he could leave it there, and nothing else happened to him. A close friend of mine also got caught with guns visibly stored in his truck, he was told, "You know better than that, don't do it again" and nothing happened to him. Do that same thing at a school like IU and you'd certainly be kicked out...

All that being said, keep it concealed and never say a word and it won't ever be an issue... and if you have to defend your life with it (exposing yourself) getting kicked out of school is MUCH better than getting put 6 feet under...
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#6]
See if you can find a gunshop w/ indoor range. They might be able to store it for you. I feel your pain OP It's one thing to store guns when living alone, but if you have roommates etc storage in nogo areas is generally too risky. Nuclear option is to get a safety deposit box and store the lowers but keep the uppers.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See if you can find a gunshop w/ indoor range. They might be able to store it for you. I feel your pain OP It's one thing to store guns when living alone, but if you have roommates etc storage in nogo areas is generally too risky. Nuclear option is to get a safety deposit box and store the lowers but keep the uppers.  
View Quote

Yeah.

Anyhow I've decided to leave the guns. I'll manage without em. Would be great if I could have them, but I think I'll spare myself any risks or get anyone else involved.

Thanks for the advice and help so far everyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah.

Anyhow I've decided to leave the guns. I'll manage without em. Would be great if I could have them, but I think I'll spare myself any risks or get anyone else involved.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

That's a shame. When I was in school there, I took a bunch of guns up when we were living off campus my senior year. Ended up taking like 10 of my friends shooting for the first time. Good stuff. Are you going to be in the grad apartments east of campus?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be at the opener tailgating near the soccer fields if you want to stop by and say hey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top