Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2015 2:37:23 PM EDT
Howdy

Will be working in Edinburgh/Camp Atterbury for the next two years.  Going up late August/early September.

Any suggestions on good areas to rent a house?  Or areas to avoid?  

The furthest north I would be looking is Greenwood, and the farthest south would be Columbus-ish.  

Probably the upper limit on prices would be 1250ish.  Zillow and Trulia show that as feasible for the area.  

It will just be me, so no other considerations other than relatively secure, access to shopping, shooting, and whatever.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Columbus.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Any advantages to Columbus other than the distance away from Indy?

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Columbus or Greenwood. Avoid the areas between No, you should be fine wherever you choose.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Columbus has the highest rent in the state...
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Have noticed that.  Highest rent and fewest available houses.  Something big get built down there?

Prices seem to be driving me towards Greenwood or the east side of Franklin near a gold course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Have noticed that.  Highest rent and fewest available houses.  Something big get built down there?

Prices seem to be driving me towards Greenwood or the east side of Franklin near a gold course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can thank Cummins for the high rent. That and Columbus has been trying to be the new Carmel for the past 5 to 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We can think Cummins for the high rent. That and Columbus has been trying to be the new Carmel for the past 5 to 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can think Cummins for the high rent. That and Columbus has been trying to be the new Carmel for the past 5 to 10 years.
I'd say longer than that.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I just PCS'd here a few months ago. Do you know what unit you'll be in?
The vast majority of permanent party here lives in Greenwood (or franklin). A few (maybe 15%) live in Columbus.

PM me if there's any other info or anything I can help provide
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha, I should have checked back here.  Thanks for the offer, and will PM if I have a good question.

I'm currently on "managed leave" so I just spent yesterday driving around the area on a "PDSS".  I didn't go on base as I didn't want to deal with any gun hassles.  Going to 157th, but I'm guessing everyone will be going there once the other training brigade closes.  

Spent most of the time checking out Greenwood, but swung by some Zillow hits in Franklin and the Whitelands.  Nothing wrong with either of the towns, but if you're going to live "in town", you might as well live in one with more amenities.  I can see why so many live in Greenwood.  The drive and the cops on 31 might drive me batty though.  Speaking of driving me batty, did Pablo Picasso lay out some of the streets and neighborhoods?  Wow.

Looks like the South and East side of Greenwood has more decently priced but "cleaner" neighborhoods.  A couple I would have rented then if I felt like paying rent on two different houses for three months.  There is plenty of stuff out west and north, but the new stuff is priced high and the old stuff is getting OLD more the price they are asking.  By comparison I'm paying 1100 for a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with 2 car garage built in 2011 in NC.  

Looks like I won't have too much of a problem finding a decent place.  When I get closer to PCSing, I'll work Franklin and then Greenwood in that order.  The surrounding areas if something catches my eye.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Msg me if you have any questions on the Franklin area.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Columbus.
View Quote

Nice town.  Decent food.  Low crime.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Columbus.

Unfortunately, we're becoming a bastion of hippie liberal douchebaggery. The food is getting better (Apna Kitchen, YUM! Love me some legit Indian food). There's a decent amount of crime, but it does all tend to be insignificant stuff. That said, it is a visually appealing town, that stays relatively clean and isn't as bad as a lot of places.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, we're becoming a bastion of hippie liberal douchebaggery. The food is getting better (Apna Kitchen, YUM! Love me some legit Indian food). There's a decent amount of crime, but it does all tend to be insignificant stuff. That said, it is a visually appealing town, that stays relatively clean and isn't as bad as a lot of places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Columbus.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how high Bartholomew County placed in the State for crime rate. However like you said it's not so much the violent crime stuff.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You could look into Trafalger and Morgantown and places in between. More of a rural style of life there. I live in Columbus right now and I did live in Edinburgh for two years. Edinburgh has it's own style. Kind of white trash but not bad. For the most part they have a code of conduct that they live by there. You set something out on the curb that you want gone and it most of the time is gone within an hour. You set something out just off of the curb and they won't touch it. I didn't really have much of an issue when I lived there. Rented a house there with two other guys and paid around $250 a month each for everything. Owner lived out of state. One car garage, three bedroom, two bath build in the 70's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top