Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 5:14:48 PM EDT
Hello.    I'm a Kentucky fellow checking in on the NFA situation in
other states.    I am posting this in the Hometown forums of states
neighboring Kentucky, to which I either visit or have visited in the
past.  

Within your state, what are the real restrictions regarding NFA items?    

Suppressors

SBRs

SBSs

Select Fire/Full Auto/MG

AOWs

Destructive devices

To be clear, by "real" restrictions, I mean many states declare them
illegal but allow them if they are federally registered NFA items.    
This approach is used to allow local (city, county, and state) cops to
trample rights, go anywhere to investigate rapid fire on a supposed
"noise complaint", and demand papers, about which they generally know
little to nothing.    In short, are NFA items technically legal, but the
cops get to play games (in various ways and to various degrees) with
your life and such is not uncommon?  

Some states like PA and TX fall into this category.     How are they treated in your state?    

(Note: I have heard TX is changing or has changed this situation.)

Is your state GTG?   Are there no restrictions at the state level?

Are there only restrictions on NFA as applied to hunting, such as no MGs for hunting?

Are they supposedly legal but only through an affirmative defense?

Are they full out illegal with state laws/charges on top of federal laws/charges?

Here is an example of a local cop investigating an NFA "incident" in PA.

Beyond this, how are things like bumpfiring, bumpfire stocks, TacCon
3MR triggers, Sig Braces, and other items like AR pistols  along with
shotguns and rifles with folding stocks treated by the LEO community in
your state and within your immediate area?

Finally, what do you dislike the most about the NFA situation in your state?

I would like to hear it straight from those who have to live with
the situation and actually know something about the matter.    I will be
using this information to make major lifestyle changes in the future.

Thank you for your time and input.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything NFA is allowed here with the exception of explosive devices. Technically, SBS are still illegal until the ban is lifted on July 1 (a bill has already been signed by the governor legalizing them.)  We can have them as long as they are federally registered. Here's the example from the Indiana Code regarding persons legal to possess machineguns:

As long as you have a tax stamp, they are legal. It's NOT like some states where you may be arrested, then use the stamp later as a defense.

As for hunting, all the Indiana regulations state is that machineguns are illegal for hunting waterfowl. No mention of their legality for other species, which therefore makes them legal. Suppressors and short-barreled firearms are legal for hunting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything NFA is allowed here with the exception of explosive devices. Technically, SBS are still illegal until the ban is lifted on July 1 (a bill has already been signed by the governor legalizing them.)  We can have them as long as they are federally registered. Here's the example from the Indiana Code regarding persons legal to possess machineguns:

(7) Persons possessing, or having applied to possess, machine guns under applicable United States statutes.

As long as you have a tax stamp, they are legal. It's NOT like some states where you may be arrested, then use the stamp later as a defense.

As for hunting, all the Indiana regulations state is that machineguns are illegal for hunting waterfowl. No mention of their legality for other species, which therefore makes them legal. Suppressors and short-barreled firearms are legal for hunting.

I think pertinent to what the OP is asking, in our state NFA items are illegal but having them legally registered IAW federal law is an affirmative defense against prosecution.

I think the vast majority of states are like this; you won't find too many that aren't.

That being said, Indiana is relatively friendly. If our county sheriff dept investigated every instance of rapid fire they would have to hire several more officers. They are VERY gun friendly here; they don't even lift an eyebrow if they here automatic fire.

As a matter of fact, the lead county investigator is a friend of mine, we talk guns all the time. Once we were at a cookout and heard automatic gunfire off in the distance. His comment, "Somebody is having a fun day!!!"

I'm not saying that no cop would ever use the sound of automatic fire for nefarious purposes as you've alluded to but I think that would be the extreme exception...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top