Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2015 12:57:40 PM EDT
Been to Indianapolis a couple of times(last time stayed at the general area of I-465 and 71st St) and before that stayed an overnight in Castleton area(465 and 82nd St and Allisonville Rd.)  Thinking of taking the better half to Indianapolis for a weekend trip, maybe in May, and I've found a Candlewood Suites near downtown and a Holiday Inn on the East Side near I-70.  GTG or find somewhere else?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Right downtown would be fine; east side is not the best side of town. Castleton area is fine, Greenwood area is fine. In years past west side was GTG but that has changed. Lafayette Square area is really a dump now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The Candlewood Suites near downtown is the go-to hotel for me and my wife when in Indy. Easy in and out and good access to just about anything worth seeing or doing in in town. Lots of good places to eat in Indianapolis and most are going to be within about 20 minutes of you.

Room availability may be an issue throughout a good part of May as that hotel sees a lot of business from IndyCar teams and sponsors during the run-up to the 500.

If you do stay here don't miss Long's Donuts on West 16th. St. They're a short drive to the north and worth the trip.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How bad is the Irvington part of town? Some friends of friends own a pizza place on East Washington.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How bad is the Irvington part of town? Some friends of friends own a pizza place on East Washington.
View Quote

Irvington isn't terrible. If the pizza place is Jockamo's, it is well worth the trip.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
might want to go to the indy 1500 if your in town..
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Irvington isn't terrible. If the pizza place is Jockamo's, it is well worth the trip.
View Quote

You are correct!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Irvington / Jockamos is a small pocket.  

I just sold my house on the Eastside, pretty close to that area.  You would probably be just as well to stay on the northside (Castleton/Fishers/Carmel), or downtown.  There is easy access to Washington street from I465 loop, so it wouldn't be any trouble at all to get there.
Downtown there is lots of stuff in walking distance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to St Elmos and be careful with the cocktail sauce!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

If that's seafood, it's a no-go. Girlfriend is a vegetarian.  Oddly enough, she eats cheese/drinks milk so pizza is a go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If that's seafood, it's a no-go. Girlfriend is a vegetarian.  Oddly enough, she eats cheese/drinks milk so pizza is a go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's actually more of a steak place so that still doesn't sound ideal and.........I'd say be careful with your wallet $$$

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
St. Elmo's is rated #7 in the U.S.A. on "The Food Networks Top 10 Steak Places in America." There spicy shrimp cocktail is to die for! You should expect  around  $50-70 per person probably on average. ETA: Might be a little more than that per person.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruth's Chris is also a good one. Not a whole lot cheaper but, maybe a little bit. Just depends on what you order. Several other restaurants in downtown Indy also.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
www.stelmos.com
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Not saying it is comparable to St. Elmo's!!! It is a decent cheaper option though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just sold my house on the Eastside, pretty close to that area.  You would probably be just as well to stay on the northside (Castleton/Fishers/Carmel), or downtown.  There is easy access to Washington street from I465 loop, so it wouldn't be any trouble at all to get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Happened to drive by your house the other day, and wondered if you were still there.  I guess not.

OP, places to avoid in Indy?  The whole damn city.  Stay outside of 465.

It's inside of 465.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  I think it's overrated.  Probably wouldn't be half as successful if it weren't for the hippy hype.

I'm not generally this negative, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That's not the greatest of areas. Any of the hotels in the downtown area would be fine. That hotel isn't really "downtown".

If you want to stay on the west side, the Brownsburg/Avon/Plainfield area have some hotels that are a short drive to downtown Indy.

If you're coming in May you should hit the track for a day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Give this place a try
http://mellowmushroom.com/mobile/locations?lat=39.7974026000&lng=-86.1365729000&range=15&zip=&city=Indianapolis%20&state=IN
We've eaten at the one in Pigeon Forge TN and it was awesome! Your girlfriend should be able to get a vegetarian pizza because I remember the menu being full of options from basic to nearly exotic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top