Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Can someone explain 1144?   "Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes conforming amendments.  " They make it sound as if anyone in Indiana would be able to carry in Indiana. Surely Not. OR would the new HB48 that would require new holders to complete safety classes take effect? Thus making you still apply for the license and take classes?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
More positives than negatives there. I don't like the training requirement if there is some kind of test to be taken. I'm all for an eight hour class to teach safety, but a Constitutional right shouldn't require a passing grade before you can exercise that right. I also can see where competition shooters could get into trouble having their tricked out guns being a little too flamboyantly colored.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can someone explain 1144?   "Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes conforming amendments.  " They make it sound as if anyone in Indiana would be able to carry in Indiana. Surely Not. OR would the new HB48 that would require new holders to complete safety classes take effect? Thus making you still apply for the license and take classes?
View Quote
And the problem is? Do you think it really would change anything. Only downside would be other states that require a license. They could still offer one as an option I suppose. Anyways I doubt it will go anywhere as I doubt the training requirement will as well.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I could have sworn that I read that you could still get a permit if you wanted one. If you have a lifetime permit I don't think you would have to throw it away anyway.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Some states will not recognize permits from states that have requirements that are not as stringent as theirs; or,
a particular state does not provide 24/7 access to their CCW database (for law enforcement).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My understanding is that states which have done away with the requirement for a license will also have a provision to issue a license for people who want them for out-of-state reciprocity. I haven't read the proposed bill, but I hope that it includes that sort of thing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would like to think that a lifetime handgun license would be valid for life even if the need to have one in state is done away with.
View Quote

This is my thought... I don't think the license would ever expire, you just wouldn't have to have one to carry in Indiana anymore.

That being said, how do we handle permitting of the next generation? If the other states don't follow suit and a permit is still required to carry in other states with reciprocity, will Indiana continue to issue permits on an optional basis?

If so, I would even say that it may benefit us to have the optional permit include some required training to gain more reciprocity with other states. I know that is a deeply emotional issue and I am currently on the side of the fence of no mandatory training, but after Constitutional Carry was enacted you would no longer need the permit to exercise your rights, you would only need it if you wanted reciprocity with most other states, and a training requirement would get you even more reciprocity...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My understanding is that states which have done away with the requirement for a license will also have a provision to issue a license for people who want them for out-of-state reciprocity. I haven't read the proposed bill, but I hope that it includes that sort of thing.

View Quote

Arizona still offers a permit plus there is always the UT or FL permit option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#17]
MG ban introduced. House Bill 1574
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I could have sworn that I read that you could still get a permit if you wanted one. If you have a lifetime permit I don't think you would have to throw it away anyway.

View Quote

That would be best case scenario.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't need a roadside rectal examination because of HB1029.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm sure that this means machineguns that aren't registered with the BATF via the NFA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes the manufacture, importation into Indiana, sale, purchase, possession, or transfer of an automatic weapon or a convertible semiautomatic weapon a Level 5 felony. Makes the manufacture, importation into Indiana, sale, purchase, possession, or transfer of a machine gun a Level 5 felony. Provides that a person who commits dealing in cocaine, a narcotic drug, methamphetamine, or certain controlled substances while in possession of an automatic weapon or convertible semiautomatic weapon may be sentenced to an additional fixed term of imprisonment.

I'm sure that this means machineguns that aren't registered with the BATF via the NFA.

I just read the bill.  It appears to define an automatic weapon as any gun that will fire more than one round without manual reloading as an automatic weapon.

The "machine gun" bill is an AWB.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Something to the tune of $4M a year, I believe.

How do states such as Arizona (no permit required) do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make too much money off the fees...

Last I heard they still have a permit just that it isn't required.

Lifetime licenses and no training requirement really hampers our ability to get reciprocity with other states.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just contacted my State Representative to see what he has to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes the manufacture, importation into Indiana, sale, purchase, possession, or transfer of an automatic weapon or a convertible semiautomatic weapon a Level 5 felony. Makes the manufacture, importation into Indiana, sale, purchase, possession, or transfer of a machine gun a Level 5 felony. Provides that a person who commits dealing in cocaine, a narcotic drug, methamphetamine, or certain controlled substances while in possession of an automatic weapon or convertible semiautomatic weapon may be sentenced to an additional fixed term of imprisonment.

I just read the bill.  It appears to define an automatic weapon as any gun that will fire more than one round without manual reloading as an automatic weapon.

The "machine gun" bill is an AWB.

I just contacted my State Representative to see what he has to say.

General consensus is that the bill was dead before it was even written. It's from Vernon Smith, he wrote because he needs to be able to go back to "his people" and justify that he at least tried...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Dipshit  has submitted the same machinegun bill at least the last three years that I have been paying attention. Its always been DOA.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
General consensus is that the bill was dead before it was even written. It's from Vernon Smith, he wrote because he needs to be able to go back to "his people" and justify that he at least tried...
View Quote

Makes sense.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lifetime licenses and no training requirement really hampers our ability to get reciprocity with other states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They make too much money off the fees...

We will be GTG in Ohio soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
The mandatory training is bullshit.  The 2nd amendment should not force the consuming of a product or service.  Is the state going to give free classes?  Who will pay the state for giving the classes?

The drivers license indication of handgun permit could only fit one role and that would be to stop persons in public and request ID.  All Indiana police departments can see that information on their laptop data systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top